• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta for YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
Willing to swap novels.

I'm nearing completion of the second round of editing of my novel and need another pair of eyes. What I'm looking for the most is someone with a keen enough eye to help me get the word count down. Since its a fantasy I'm also looking for someone familiar enough with the genre to point out any cliches. I'm also looking for chapter by chapter impressions, comments on character and plot development, and an overall impression on the novel. Anything more is extra and welcomed. I'm not looking for someone to tell me how awesome! this novel is. I would much prefer helpful crit. I have thick skin so I'll be fine.

My novel is a YA fantasy at about ~107K. You won't be getting an early draft as this novel has gone through 2 beta cycles. I'm hoping this will be the last.

Brief Blurb(not sure if it does the story any justice. still trying to get this blurb thing down):

Nima is 15 year old, self-proclaimed realist whose life until now has consisted of a different city and a different school every few months. Her only friends are trees. So when she starts Ellicott Senior High, she expects everything to be the same. However, things start to change when visiting a new human friend's home. A dangerous secret some would kill to know reveals itself to them. Nima is plunged into a world where no one is who they say they are including the ones closest to her. She must overcome her own prejudices to navigate these new surroundings while on the run to protect a sacred object from those who only wish to use it for evil.

Last edited:

Uno87

Registered
Reaction score
I was just curious if this is your first crack at publishing a book. The word count seems rather high for a new author in the YA field.

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
It is my first novel. I know that the word count is high, but I'm at a bit at a loss as to what should stay and what can go. That's why I'm looking for a 2nd set of eyes, someone who isn't as attached as I am to make some cutting suggestions. I already have some ideas.

Although, I was under the impression that for fantasy the acceptable average was around 100k

Last edited:

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really an expert, so don't trust this completely, but I think that 100k is the acceptable average for adult fantasy. The average word count for YA fantasy is more like 80k, but there's really a huge range for it. So, while 100k is high for a debut YA fantasy, it's not out of the question. For example, Cashore's Graceling clocks in at over 100k, and that was her debut novel.

theresa.mcclinton

"Crossing Realms of YA Romance."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com
I was advised by a freelance editor who I was chatting with, that agents don't look kindly on manuscripts over 100K from new YA authors. Just a tip. I'm not looking to beta a WIP right now, but I saw the convo and thought I would chime in. :D

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I did read on a literary agent's blog (The Swivet) that 100k is the general max for YA fantasy. That's why I'm hoping to chop my book down to under 100k, maybe 90 would work. Right now I'm only about 7,000 over so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

StaceyJaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm not really an expert, so don't trust this completely, but I think that 100k is the acceptable average for adult fantasy. The average word count for YA fantasy is more like 80k, but there's really a huge range for it. So, while 100k is high for a debut YA fantasy, it's not out of the question. For example, Cashore's Graceling clocks in at over 100k, and that was her debut novel.

Graceling was good! I loved it. As for word count 120k seems to be the average for adult fantasy novels... YA novels are typically way under.

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading Graceling. It was good, not great. I liked the premise, but for all the words it was afforded, it left something to be desired. I was not especially pleased with the ending.

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Graceling, for the most part, but I'll agree that the end wasn't my favorite. It seemed to keep going for quite a while after I thought it could have stopped.

Sorry that this thread has been sort of hijacked.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Rae Carson's recent YA fantasy debut Girl of Fire and Thorns weighed in at around 102k. Just a note of reassurance! Though it's still a good idea to tighten where you can, obviously :)

Status
Not open for further replies.