PDA

View Full Version : Tennis expert needed :)

rachelmachelsmachel
02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Title pretty much says it all I think. My main character's life revolves around her sport and I know almost nothing about competitive tennis so help is much appreciated. Also if you know how it is structured in American high schools and the NCAA that's even better.

PM me please :)

rachelmachelsmachel
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't need someone with a Ph.D. in rackets or anything, just somebody who knows how the american high school and college circuits work. I've tried looking online but can't find anything.

Priene
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Try reading 'Infinite Jest' by David Foster Wallace. Lots of tennis in there.

Warning: it's 900 pages long and borderline-incomprehensible, but don't let that put you off.

blacbird
02-24-2012, 05:26 AM
A little more specificity in your questions might help. The rules of tennis are pretty simple, and you could get a lot just through watching some major tournament play on TV. As for high school and college competitions in the U.S., they take place under pretty much the same organizational structure as do other sports. Teams compete in "conferences", and there are tournaments. The NCAA governs the national collegiate level competition, and there is an annual national championship tournament.

Fewer schools have tennis teams than, say, basketball or football teams, however. My high school never had one, for instance.

caw

rachelmachelsmachel
02-27-2012, 01:22 AM
hmm see I think I'll have enough questions over such a long period of time that it would be better just to have someone knowledgeable to talk to...

Question #1 would be what is the difference between 1B/2B/1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A at the high school level in Washington state? I know these aren't different districts because the same 1A/2A/3A/4A thing exists on the district level too.

Question #2 is if you qualify for states as an individual or as a team.

Debbie V
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Question #2 is if you qualify for states as an individual or as a team.

I am far from an expert on this, but I think the answer is both. A singles player can qualify without the team and/or the team can qualify. Check this out http://www.fhsaa.org/sports/tennis.

rachelmachelsmachel
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
thanks!!! I still don't really get it though, especially because I'm never sure if 'doubles' and 'team' are the same thing...

That site did eventually let me find the answer to Question #1 though so thank you :)