PDA

View Full Version : The Flash Fictioners' Corner Booth

Sophia
02-18-2012, 05:29 PM
High-backed seats, neon lights, food and drinks on tap, conversation all around and music at just the right volume. :) Walk past the tables and find the perfect booth in the corner, where the Flash Fictioners hang out. :hi: Welcome!

HarryHoskins
02-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Sophia; I'll take a drink -- better make it a short, though. :)

I'd be interested to know whether the flash fic crowd write the form exclusively or whether they they branch out into longer stuff, too. I'd also like to hear whether the level of depth (in relation to length) that the FF format provokes is something that people are able to take through to longer works.

Finally, I'd like to know what the next poster in this thread would like to drink -- I can thoroughly recommend the no frills whisky. :)

Christopher Marcus
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
... I'd be interested to know whether the flash fic crowd write the form exclusively or whether they they branch out into longer stuff, too. I'd also like to hear whether the level of depth (in relation to length) that the FF format provokes is something that people are able to take through to longer works.

Finally, I'd like to know what the next poster in this thread would like to drink -- I can thoroughly recommend the no frills whisky. :)

I write both flash and longer stuff - mostly novellas 'tween 3K-10K words. Or thereabouts. Flash Fiction is useful to me whenever I need to get started again after a longer writing hiatus. I really like the challenge of having to put together a story in a 1000 words or less ... well, I love it when it's the right time for me. This February challenge seems to have caught me on the wrong leg a bit ...

Anyway, as regards depth I sometimes find that an FF 'wants' to be bigger, so to speak. And in that case I let the story lead me and just see where it ends up. Maybe it'll be a lot more than a 1000 maybe only a little. As long as I'm not in a formal competition it doesn't matter. To me FF is a tool to get writing done and to have fun and to develop ideas. It's not a form I want to be my primary way of writing.

And now I'm drinking coffee and lots of it, since I'm on the nightshift (my 'dayjob') ...

So, interesting questions. Thanks for throwing them out!

Do you prefer FF yourself or is it 'just another way of writing' for you, Harry?

Best,

Chris

HarryHoskins
02-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Do you prefer FF yourself or is it 'just another way of writing' for you, Harry?

I used to just sit down and write and see what happened. Occasionally the piece was short -- other times not. I then came across Maryn. :)

She ran a 200 word prompt over in Erotica. Whilst I always tried to write things that had a life off the page due to the way they were written, it was the erotic FF prompt that hammered home the lesson (often forgotten by me) about condensing writing so the short amount on the page is only the tip of the iceberg. Of course, writing this way is tough, but an excellent exercise and a great form in its own right.

So now I write FF for the beauty of the form, the challenge of the form and the word count boundary that makes one search for more interesting, concise and different ways of writing. I also use it as a starting off point -- sometimes the piece needs more room.

Any other FF practitioners want to share why they are drawn to the form, or what they get out of it that other structured writing doesn't give them? Or, of course, just come say hello and order up a drink. :)

TypoToffee
04-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I love it for a number of reasons. It's a wonderful way to tighten my language skills. Also, I've been working on a novel for years and needed a break. This forum allows me to express myself without a long haul commitment to one particular idea. Last, but not least, it's super fun!

Umbrageofsnow
05-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Longer flash, near the 1000 word mark, is indistinguishable in my mind from shorter non-flash short stories. The idea seems fit for short-story length, and if it doesn't take much to get there, well it ends up being flash, I don't actually set out to write that kind of flash. But maybe I should?

What I've found really enjoyable lately are Drabbles. Stories exactly 100 words long. They make a nice break, and are quick to revise. I find writing a drabble can lift my spirits when I'm feeling down about not completing things I start. And they are so restricted, I think they really push my way of writing something in interesting directions.

That said, I enjoy reading flash quite a bit. And I think maybe I should make more effort to write things deliberately as flash from the beginning.

My drink is single-malt scotch (preferably an Islay), or Pu-erh tea. Alternative options include Bourbon, Irish Breakfast Tea, and Chai (no artificial crap though, I like the kind you boil in a big pot with milk.)

Vikingessa
06-15-2012, 07:44 AM
*tiny wave*

I have a monstrously several pages long table of prompts for flash/drabble fiction. CampNaNoWriMo has been interesting since I am not writing any of this story in order. My flash pieces range from 70-1,500 words. Quite shocked that it's turning out to work in my favor and I am able to jump all over. I have my outline, know everything that I need to hit on topics and events. Due to some life related hurdles I'm behind at 14K, but I think that I can catch up again. All of it simply flash fiction in chunks :)

I believe I started writing flash fiction about a year ago and kind of kept up on it simply for exercises or ways to get my brain started.

A chilled chai latte would be divine.

jvc
01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. What have you all been doing over the last few months? Plenty of writering I hope? It's a new year and new years resolutions are a must. So, have any of you guys made any resolutions to write more and submit more? Any new members thinking about getting into Flash Fiction?

Wow, lots of questions. Keep your answers below 10,000 words. :D

Spell-it-out
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. What have you all been doing over the last few months? Plenty of writering I hope? It's a new year and new years resolutions are a must. So, have any of you guys made any resolutions to write more and submit more? Any new members thinking about getting into Flash Fiction?

Wow, lots of questions. Keep your answers below 10,000 words. :D

Hi!

One of my new years resolutions is to lay out my goals, and don't stop until I achieve them... yeah, I just planned on achieving my plan there :Shrug:

I think the weekly challenge of write, polish and submit flash fiction will help shape me up :)

pernickety
02-22-2013, 01:07 AM
It's peaceful walking into the bar for a pint. But it sure is quiet around here...:hi:

LonnieG
03-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Hi All,

I am not going to make this weeks challenge. I have a couple of good stories floating around in my head for 'last orders', but don't have the time to pen anything. Maybe next week I will get to it. I haven't even finished The Tea Set, to my satisfaction. Maybe next week.

Finding time to write is the biggest problem. Maybe next week.

pernickety
03-01-2013, 12:28 PM
LonnieG
I think you shouldn't worry about finishing or not finishing every week. It's a very tall order to come up with the idea, write it, revise it, post it etc It does take a lot of time. I've managed 3 weeks in a row but other things have suffered so I won't attempt to do it every week. However it is great practice.

Hope you get some time next week

LonnieG
03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Pernickety,

Thanks for the encouraging. Usually I am not driven to write every day, which is a good thing because I don't have the time. For me something will come into my mind and start to ferment. Eventually resulting in something worth writing about.

The weekly prompts are good for me in the way that it requires me to look at writing in an entirely different way. I think I have a good knowledge base about writing, but little practical experience. Writing to the prompts is what it is meant to be - an exercise in focusing and working. This is pretty much how I approach my day job. It is not possible for me to put my mind around the whole of it, but it is possible to do it small bites at a time. In the end it is a completed project.

I hope to get to the point of being able to map the complete writing project and with many small bites complete the whole of it.

As for finishing current project. I am the king of unfinished projects. I have unfinished projects around the house and a computer full of unfinished stories. So I am trying to be more focused on finishing writing projects.

LeadHead
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone! Got my first reply from one of my submissions yesterday. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. It was a personal one though so I got some feedback which is always good. They felt there was too much ambiguity in the story which I fully understand but I'm not sure if I should change it or stick with it and submit elsewhere to see if I keep getting the same response.

How's everyone else's submissions going?

Spell-it-out
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone! Got my first reply from one of my submissions yesterday. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. It was a personal one though so I got some feedback which is always good. They felt there was too much ambiguity in the story which I fully understand but I'm not sure if I should change it or stick with it and submit elsewhere to see if I keep getting the same response.

How's everyone else's submissions going?

Hi Leadhead!

I've got replies from 7/10 so far, all rejections :( No personal ones either! Think I'm gonna re-submit the ten to other flash fiction sites - I've stuck with Flash fiction online so far.

Great news by you, well done.

Spell-it-out
03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Sophia - Just trying out my new badge :D .....it fits!!!

Sophia
03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I'd been keeping a look out to see if you'd get it -- fantastic going! :partyguy:

pernickety
03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Well done! Spell-it-out!
Suits you...

Spell-it-out
03-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Thank you :)

jvc
03-26-2013, 03:19 AM
I just wanted to say, you guys are doing great. Keep up the good work. :)

Spell-it-out
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
A few hours late for this weeks submission - got called into work earlier than I expected yesterday evening, so I sent it now.

Thanks to Sophia for the prompts, my flash fiction folder is getting bigger.

pernickety
04-08-2013, 12:59 AM
hi all,
I've missed a couple of weeks now, but am busy doing other writerly things (incl query letter, agent research and biting my nails as betas read my ms) . Hope to get back to it this week. Will take a look in later to read your newer stories

Spell-it-out
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone,

Just got my first personalised rejection letter! Wahoo!

"Dear Eamonn:
Thank you for submitting "Larka." Unfortunately we've decided to pass. While we enjoyed the premise, parts of the piece felt rushed, particularly the ending, which is a pity because we enjoyed the character of Larka and his ruthless devotion to art.

Best of luck with your writing[...]"

Just had to share that one!

pernickety
04-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Congrats Eamonn,
You'll get there!

LeadHead
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Congratulations!
Better luck next time :)

LonnieG
04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Eamonn,

Congratulations. Care to share the market, or is that inappropriate?

Spell-it-out
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Awh thanks guys for that!

JustSarah
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I decided to give this style a try, since more often than not I tend to end up with 500 words or less.D:

pernickety
04-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Go for it JustSarah. It's always nice to try new things.

I'm delighted that I piece I wrote has been shortlisted in a competition--Writers&Artists. Even if I didn't put it up here, I have learned a lot here and intend to return soon.

LeadHead
04-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Welcome JustSarah! The more the merrier.

Congratulations pernickety! Best of luck with winning it.

WendyN
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Quick question about subbing flash fiction, and this seems like the place to ask. I'm doing some [very preliminary] research on flash fiction markets, and have been poking around flashfictiononline.com's guidelines. When they ask for a "cover letter" is that intended to be like the query that you would submit to an agent for a full-length novel, or are they looking for something different? Am I overthinking this?

Spell-it-out
04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Hello everyone!

I've great news I'd like to share!

I've put a collection of ten Flash Fiction stories together and created a Kindle version entitled, Take one before bedtime (http://www.amazon.com/Take-one-before-bedtime-ebook/dp/B00CBWFQL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366207181&sr=8-2&keywords=eamonn+hickson).

It will be free on Amazon from Friday until Monday, it'd be great if you had time to download it.

I didn't go overboard with the acknowledgements as I wasn't sure who would be comfortable with their username being used outside of this site, but I'd like to thank you all here again. Without your advice, comments, well wishes, I would never have been able to keep writing from week to week, not to mind publish a collection.

My aim with this collection is to have some more writing available to readers who have bought/will buy my first novel, and hopefully build up some fans prior to the release of my second novel in December.

Thank you all again, I really appreciate your help.

Also, a special mention to Sophia and JVC, thank you for getting this Flash Fiction sub-forum going and for keeping it ticking over :)

pernickety
04-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Eamonn,
That looks great. You have been busy!
Unfortunately I don't have a kindle, and no nothing about other formats, but best of luck with this.

Spell-it-out
04-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Eamonn,
That looks great. You have been busy!
Unfortunately I don't have a kindle, and no nothing about other formats, but best of luck with this.

Thanks Pernickety!

Sure you know all the stories already :)

Hope all's good with you.

jvc
04-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Good luck with your flash collection, Eamonn. I don't have a kindle, so can't download it. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be interested to know of your progress with the collection of short stories. I have often wondered how well these collections sell on Amazon.

LonnieG
04-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Eamonn,

The grizzled old warrior does not become such without the sting of the blade. Congratulations. Your first.

Lonnie

Spell-it-out
04-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Good luck with your flash collection, Eamonn. I don't have a kindle, so can't download it. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be interested to know of your progress with the collection of short stories. I have often wondered how well these collections sell on Amazon.

Hi JVC - I'm gonna put it as free for five days, starting from tomorrow, and after that I don't expect too many sales, even at $0.99.

I'll let you know how it goes after the freebies!

Cheers.

Spell-it-out
04-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Hi Eamonn,

The grizzled old warrior does not become such without the sting of the blade. Congratulations. Your first.

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie!

Thanks very much for the comment, I appreciate it.

LeadHead
04-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Cool! I do have a kindle so I will definitely download it.

I've also got some travelling coming up and need more reading material so I may take a look at your novel too.

Spell-it-out
04-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Cool! I do have a kindle so I will definitely download it.

I've also got some travelling coming up and need more reading material so I may take a look at your novel too.

That would be great Leadhead! The collection is free from midnight tonight Pacific Time!

Sophia
04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Great work, Eamonn! I downloaded it this morning from Amazon.co.uk, using the free Kindle for PC (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/kindle/pc/ref=kcp_pc_lnd_sum) application. The collection is perfect for reading in free moments throughout the day. Thank you!

pernickety
04-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Sophia,
Thanks for posting that. I did the same so I'm proud to be the owner of my first AW-buddy's book. I'm also likely to have a new addiction (ebooks)

Eamonn,
I recognise some of the titles alright! Will look forward to dipping in this weekend.

Can I ask you how easy it is to put a book up on Kindle? I'm sure there are threads here and will look for them. But how long did it take you to get a handle on it. (I want to dedicate a story I wrote to a friend and thought it might be a nice present for her to download it for free obviously!)

Spell-it-out
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
@Sophia: Thank you for downloading!

Can I ask you how easy it is to put a book up on Kindle? I'm sure there are threads here and will look for them. But how long did it take you to get a handle on it. (I want to dedicate a story I wrote to a friend and thought it might be a nice present for her to download it for free obviously!)

Putting the book up on Kindle is the easy part, it's the formatting that takes time, as I've an account with Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). I used a guide by Guido Henkel, just google "guido henkel ebook formatting".

The first time I did it(formatting) for my novel, it took me two long evenings to get it right, as I was playing with styles and settings. With the Flash Fiction collection, I had it from Microsoft word to mobi (format for Kindle) in about an hour.

The series of articles by Guido are excellent, but it helps if your good at html and things like that. If you're not, I can help you out when the time comes.

That's a really nice idea as a present. And the advantage is that you can email the kindle version directly to your friend.

Thanks for downloading my collection :)

Give me a shout whenever!

pernickety
04-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks Eamonn,
Might give it a go. It's only one story and I have 2 long evenings to spare! Will let you know how I get on.

LonnieG
04-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Eamonn,

I loved The Boys on The Beam. Those two pictures hang in the office where I work, along with the "photo shopped" version with the women eating their lunch. I work for a structural steel fabricator/erector so I have seen the pictures many times and knew right off what the story was about.

Why did you choose the pictures to write about? Do you have some history about the shooting of the pictures?

Here is the link if anyone would like to see the pictures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206050/The-picture-proves-iconic-photograph-workers-eating-lunch-Rockefeller-beam-publicity-stunt.html

Thanks for the good read.

Lonnie

Spell-it-out
04-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Eamonn,

I loved The Boys on The Beam. Those two pictures hang in the office where I work, along with the "photo shopped" version with the women eating their lunch. I work for a structural steel fabricator/erector so I have seen the pictures many times and knew right off what the story was about.

Why did you choose the pictures to write about? Do you have some history about the shooting of the pictures?

Here is the link if anyone would like to see the pictures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206050/The-picture-proves-iconic-photograph-workers-eating-lunch-Rockefeller-beam-publicity-stunt.html

Thanks for the good read.

Lonnie

Lonnie,

The reason I picked to write about it was mainly due to one of Sophia's prompts- "Demolition" - but I veered slightly off course. Also, my brother had actually just bought a large print of the men eating lunch pic so it popped into my head at the time.

Great to hear you enjoyed it.

Spell-it-out
04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
A quick update on the Flash Fiction Collection:

I expected downloads to be pretty meager, but it started well - I had about 40 downloads between Friday and Saturday. When I happened to check it on Saturday, I was in the top 5k free books on Kindle. It's nothing to write home about, but it's good to have some downloads.

Just checked it there, I've 60 downloads at the moment, and there is one day left. It's hard to know what to expect with free downloads for FF. (Compared to others' novels getting downloaded 1000's of times in five days. )

Still, I'm happy with it, as it's something I had written already as part of the weekly challenge here on AW. And, when people check my profile on Amazon, I'll have more to show.

Thanks to everyone here who downloaded it, I really appreciate it.

jvc
04-22-2013, 10:59 PM
I think you've done very well. Great job. You should write a St George's day story for the 23rd, I think. Maybe with a dragon. ;)

Spell-it-out
04-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks JVC!

Sorry to say, but I don't know enough about Dragons :D ... Or St. George for that matter. I'll do one about St. Patrick and some snakes first, then I'll work on your request ;)

LeadHead
05-02-2013, 01:44 AM
Hi everyone! Just popping in to say I'll be back in a couple of weeks and will dive head first back into writing again. I hope everyone's work is going well and I'll try to catch up with reading it when I get back :)

pernickety
05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi all,
Another MIA here.
I am popping in every now and then for a quick look, but not participating. Looking forward to getting back into a routine soon.

Spell-it-out
05-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Work is starting to pile up and weekends are basically a write off (pun intended) for me, but still finding a little time during the week to keep to the YOWFF challenge.

Last week's attempt (giving up smoking) would not be suited the flash fiction site that I submit to, so I decided against it sending it in. So, technically I've missed last weeks challenge - but if Sophia and JVC don't mind, I'm gonna submit some older pieces I have to replace the non-submission from last friday :) ...and still be 17 for 17 *fingers crossed*

Or 16.5 for 17 :D

jvc
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I have no problem with that, but Sophia is the boss. Maybe bribe her with cookies. :D

Spell-it-out
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
I have no problem with that, but Sophia is the boss. Maybe bribe her with cookies. :D

Will do :)

*stirring up some cookie mix*

Sophia
05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Tsk! Feel the guilt weighing on your conscience! Feeeeel iiiiiit.... :e2teeth:

I am wondering, though - why are you only submitting to one market? Your smoking story might be fine for another. I'm pretty sure you must have seen the markets index, but just in case you haven't, here you go (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59234).

Yasaibatake
05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Dropping in because TV is distracting me from writing and I feel like if I announce it maybe I'll be more guilty about procrastinating...I've been pretty much out of the challenge for what, two months now? But I am currently working on my glorious and triumphant return! Now that I said that, I really have to get it done and ready on time...

Spell-it-out
05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

No excuses this week, I had no time to even begin the challenge due to work and a family bereavement. I hope to get on this weeks challenge later and make sure I don't wilt now.

pernickety
05-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry to hear that Eamonn.

Spell-it-out
05-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear that Eamonn.

Thank you, Pernickety.

Hi all, back again. Had a tough and busy week or so, along with everything else, work and entrance exams to college swiped up all my free time.

On a positive note, I received my first review on my Flash Fiction collection on Amazon a few days ago - a 3 star! The reviewer named a few stories they liked, so I'd consider that a victory :D It's very nice to get a review when I wasn't expecting it.

Back to flash fiction again now.... :hooray:

Sophia
05-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Welcome back, Eamonn! :hi:

Congrats on that 3-star review! Have you also seen the 4-star review, here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CBWFQL8/ref=oh_d__o05_details_o05__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)? :)

Spell-it-out
05-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Welcome back, Eamonn! :hi:

Congrats on that 3-star review! Have you also seen the 4-star review, here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CBWFQL8/ref=oh_d__o05_details_o05__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)? :)

:D I didn't see it Sophia! My Amazon Central account missed that one, as did I (as it's on Amazon.co.uk)! Wahoo!

Feel pretty stupid for not seeing it until now, thanks so much for pointing it out, that has made my day Sophia.

jvc
05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Congrats on both the 3-star review and the 4-star review. :TheWave:

Spell-it-out
05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Congrats on both the 3-star review and the 4-star review. :TheWave:

Thanks JVC - I'll just call it a 7-star review sure ;)

LeadHead
06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi everyone! Just popping by to say that I'll be away for a few weeks so won't be able to write or critique anything. I hope everyone's writing goes well.

JustSarah
06-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I just gotten into the whole flash fiction thing. For some reason a lot of stuff I do just seems to conclude at 600 or 800 words. Sometimes even less.

Spell-it-out
06-22-2013, 02:43 AM
It's getting pretty quiet around these parts lately... *tumbleweed rolls across screen*

:)

Sophia
06-22-2013, 03:08 AM
This is what happens when LeadHead is out of town. :)

I've been wanting to recommend this course for a while to the regulars here. It's called How to Write Flash Fiction That Doesn't Suck, and is a free 3-lesson course given by author Holly Lisle. The site is here (https://howtothinksideways.com/); the link to each lesson is sent out in an e-mail, one a week for three weeks, and you need to register to receive them (registration is also free). I've taken the course, and found it hugely helpful. It's a very clear, "do X, then do Y", 'step-by-step instructions with reasons' kind of course. It may not suit you, but it's short, gets to the point straight away and is worth looking at, I think, if only because it might spark a new approach to a story if anyone is a bit stalled.

Silver-Midnight
06-22-2013, 04:13 AM
This is what happens when LeadHead is out of town. :)

I've been wanting to recommend this course for a while to the regulars here. It's called How to Write Flash Fiction That Doesn't Suck, and is a free 3-lesson course given by author Holly Lisle. The site is here (https://howtothinksideways.com/); the link to each lesson is sent out in an e-mail, one a week for three weeks, and you need to register to receive them (registration is also free). I've taken the course, and found it hugely helpful. It's a very clear, "do X, then do Y", 'step-by-step instructions with reasons' kind of course. It may not suit you, but it's short, gets to the point straight away and is worth looking at, I think, if only because it might spark a new approach to a story if anyone is a bit stalled.

Thank you for this, Sophia. I'm going to look into it. It sounds very interesting.

LeadHead
06-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone! I'm now back and ready to write again :)

I feel a bit rusty but I'll give this course a go and I'll try to read through some of your previous submissions to get back up to speed (or maybe even faster :D).

Sophia
06-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Welcome back, LeadHead! :hi:

I'd be interested to know what those of you taking the course think of it and how it changes (if it does) your current approach to writing flash. (Don't feel obliged; I'm just nosy, and like to talk writing. :) )

Spell-it-out
06-22-2013, 07:03 PM
I'll defo give that a go, thanks Sophia!

jvc
06-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Welcome back, Leadhead. :hi:

That course does sound interesting. And it's free. (It really is free, yes? :D ) Oh, I love free stuff. I may give this one a go.

What? We have to write a report? :eek:

aliwood
06-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Hello :hi:

I normally hang around in the SFF Cantina so I hope you don't mind if I wander in here as well. I promise not to double-post.

I already posted in A Year of Writing FF yesterday, and as I was wandering about I found this place. I really wanted to thank Sophia for that link to the Holly Lisle course. I signed up last night and I've been twiddling about (technical term :D ) with part 1 all day. It's really made me think about what I'm doing, and I'm only about one-third of the way through it.

I haven't written much that's over 2500 words I don't think, but I can see how you would apply a lot of this course to much longer things as well as the shorter. I'm sure it's going to make my writing much better than it has been.

So thanks Sophia, and er, as this is the corner booth, do you folks have a tea-pot? :Coffee:

Silver-Midnight
06-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Alright, I signed up for it. I'm kind of twiddling about myself right now. Maybe this course will not only help with flash fiction but with all of my writing.

aliwood
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Alright, I signed up for it. I'm kind of twiddling about myself right now. Maybe this course will not only help with flash fiction but with all of my writing.

Midnight! :Hug2:

Great to see you here too. And yeah, I'm pretty sure the course will help with everything.

Silver-Midnight
06-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Midnight! :Hug2:

Great to see you here too. And yeah, I'm pretty sure the course will help with everything.

:Hug2:

Did you have any trouble signing up for the class? I'm so far, not getting the first e-mail. I'm getting the one with the link to confirm, and the one saying I confirmed and a coupon. But not the first lesson.

aliwood
06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
:Hug2:

Did you have any trouble signing up for the class? I'm so far, not getting the first e-mail. I'm getting the one with the link to confirm, and the one saying I confirmed and a coupon. But not the first lesson.

Actually, yeah, I did. I expected it all to come through straight away, but the course email took it's time.

Let me check my inbox.

Ok, after I signed up it took about 40 minutes for the course email to get to me. So, time enough to make some :Coffee: then :D and dig out a writing pad.

It's worth the wait. I promise.

Silver-Midnight
06-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Actually, yeah, I did. I expected it all to come through straight away, but the course email took it's time.

Let me check my inbox.

Ok, after I signed up it took about 40 minutes for the course email to get to me. So, time enough to make some :Coffee: then :D and dig out a writing pad.

It's worth the wait. I promise.

Okay, I was worried I'd done something or something. Hahah.

Spell-it-out
06-29-2013, 05:46 AM
I wasn't meant to work yesterday (Friday), so I had hoped to make a late dash for this weeks challenge. But no, the boss called and long story short, I am three hours too late!

No worries, I'll be in early with this weeks one

aliwood
06-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Really enjoyed last weeks prompt. Can't wait for this weeks.

Hey, thanks for your feedback spell-it-out, I'll do you one by return after I've had breakfast and can think straight.

Silver-Midnight
06-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Well, I'm working on the first lesson of the flash fiction course. Taking a bit of time with it but I have to hurry it a bit so, I can be ready for Lesson 2. I think I might go ahead and start incorporating the supernatural element now.

aliwood
07-01-2013, 12:39 AM
So having checked my email 27 gazillion times today, part 2 has finally arrived.

:e2BIC:

Silver-Midnight
07-02-2013, 07:34 AM
So having checked my email 27 gazillion times today, part 2 has finally arrived.

:e2BIC:

Yay. I'm finishing up Part 1 today and tomorrow then starting Part 2 (whenever it comes).

aliwood
07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Part 2 of that course has allowed me to dig out an old piece that started well and then went :e2thud:

I've worked out how to fix it now, which I'm really pleased about because it has a cracking joke in it I really want to use.

Silver-Midnight
07-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Well, I have finish up my last few beginnings then I can start on Part 2. I'm actually enjoying this a lot honestly. Well so far anyway. It could be because of the music. Hahaha.

Svader
07-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Spell-it-out, I'm super curious how your flash fiction collection is doing on Amazon. How has it been since the free down loads expired?

I'm new to flash fiction and was wondering what people would do with the short pieces besides submitting them.

Spell-it-out
07-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Spell-it-out, I'm super curious how your flash fiction collection is doing on Amazon. How has it been since the free down loads expired?

I'm new to flash fiction and was wondering what people would do with the short pieces besides submitting them.

Hey Svader,

In terms of sales, it has been pretty sad. I think 3 in May, 1 June and strangely 1 in the UK in July. As my aim is to get my novels selling in the next few years, I'm unsure how to market collections of Flash Fiction really. The main reasons I've put a collection together was a) to do something with the growing pile of stories in my flash fiction folder and b) Have something other than one novel (ATM) to offer anyone who happens to check me out.

I am planning to make another collection by the end of the summer. I've the stories written already, as part of the weekly challenge, but there are still a few out on submission. One thing I've picked up from releasing the first collection is to include a few unseen stories, as most regulars here on the FF sub-forum were simply re-reading when they downloaded the collection.

Another bonus is that, by the end of the year, I (hope) will have published 3 collections of Flash Fiction. I would have taken that last Jan :)

As for negatives - The only worry I'm having is, could I be damaging my long-term chances. As in, what if someone judges my novels on a few pieces of flash fiction they stumbled upon and didn't like?
- For now, I'm taking that chance.

Oh, one last bonus...for now :)
I've received a 3 and 4-star review on two amazon sites. That's a victory in itself.

Thanks for asking.

Svader
07-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for sharing. I've been reading through the polished and ready forum and just the other day realized what YOWFF meant! I enjoy reading your stories. Good luck with them.

jvc
07-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Eamonn, I found it very interesting. Congrats on the good reviews.

Silver-Midnight
07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, I finally finished "Part 1". Now, on to "Part 2". I just feel such a lack of motivation and I have no clue why. I should be getting "Part 3" soon.

Sophia
07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Silver-Midnight, how have the past few days gone, motivation-wise?

For anyone who might need it and isn't aware, AW has an Outwitting Writer's Block (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50) board where members have posted about motivation and productivity problems, along with what has worked to solve them.

I've been considering the idea of a monthly flash fiction meeting in AW's private critique circle chat room. It can sometimes help to discuss a writing problem "in person", rather than on the public boards. It's also an opportunity to simply be reminded that you're not alone with this. :) I'm imagining the meeting would last half an hour or so, and participants would turn up with a specific question or comment that they'd like group input on, or just be there willing to try to help with a problem. If anyone would find such a thing useful, please say.

Silver-Midnight
07-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi Sophia,

it's so-so now. My word count still isn't up there. But I've kind of been working on another MS. I'm still planning out my flash fiction and working on it though. I haven't abandoned it, especially given the fact that I actually enjoyed writing it. I think I really try to apply what I learned/am learning to my longer fiction writing. :D

Well, Part 3 arrived. I have to get it. I have finish up Part 2 though. I just got even more behind on it than I was earlier.

aliwood
07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
My motivation has slipped. I had a cold so I did nothing for three days because that's all I could manage. Now, it's hot. I need a cool place to work. the next house I buy is going to have a cellar or something.

So I have read part 3 of the FF course, and I even had a few ideas, but just getting back into it is taking time. My reading has gone up though. *justifies existence*

Silver-Midnight
07-13-2013, 12:52 PM
So I have read part 3 of the FF course, and I even had a few ideas, but just getting back into it is taking time. My reading has gone up though. *justifies existence*

I have to do Parts 2 and 3. But I have been reading more. *agrees with ali on justifying existence*

Rabid Renaissance
07-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Hello. Very occasional poster passing through. I haven't done the prompt on Sundays in entirely too long. Maybe next week. Looking to engage with some folks to help make frequent return trips not be an afterthought.

Does anyone else find certain flash fiction prompt gimmicks to defeat the purpose? I much prefer a single word prompt as opposed to having to incorporate multiple words, or even worse...multiple words and an image. Keep it simple, I say.

Linda Adams
07-16-2013, 01:29 AM
I think that's more of personal preference. One words generally don't do much for me. Phrases seem to be better for my creativity.

jvc
07-16-2013, 02:19 AM
That is really a personal preference. Some like one word prompts, others like sentence prompts. It's good to have a mix. You never know what might inspire you.

Spell-it-out
07-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Does anyone else find certain flash fiction prompt gimmicks to defeat the purpose? I much prefer a single word prompt as opposed to having to incorporate multiple words, or even worse...multiple words and an image. Keep it simple, I say.

Yeah, one word prompts seem easier for me. I'd find sentences and images too restricting.

Fruitbat
07-16-2013, 05:58 PM

What I like most is when there's a choice of prompts. Plenty of them just don't "speak" to me. It can take me such a surprisingly huge number of hours to finish a flash story that I want to start with an idea that inspires me. A prompt that doesn't do much for me is likely to lead to a flat story. Better, imo, to start strong.

I do prefer more simple/general prompts than having to incorporate several different elements. But I also like phrases, first lines, photos. Also, prompts that come from a particular publication, a targeted place to send it when it's done.

And, like with the book study I'm trying to get going if there's enough interest, (Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Flash Fiction) prompts that are based on trying to master a new facet or method of writing flash. Let me know if anyone else is interested. I think there's one solid "yes" so far and one "maybe."

Silver-Midnight
07-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I like a mixture of all three: sometimes pictures work, sometimes one word, sometimes sentences. I even use music sometimes. But for the most part, it's a mix of all.

Rabid Renaissance
07-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Phrases wouldn't be so bad, I don't think I've encountered a phrase prompt yet.

I should start by saying that my flash fiction experience in general is pretty limited. Aside from two or three exercises that I've done here, another site that I frequent (not dedicated to writing, but has a lot of writers who hang out there) uses requirements of incorporating 2 or 3 unrelated random key words, and a random photograph. Over and over again on that site, I've found that if I do start to get an idea based on one of the random elements, that I quickly hit a point of diminishing returns when trying to incorporate the rest, and I tend to just find reasons to skip it all together, before I even really get started. It just seems to be a recipe for trying to cram in forced arbitrary afterthoughts.

I'm self-aware enough to know that the 'problem' for lack of a better word, is mostly me coming up with excuses not to write, even though I say that I want to. I'm also self-aware enough to know that while I could just start writing based on one of the prompts that spoke to me, ignore the rest, and just write for myself instead of participating in the group exercise, but what I selfishly look forward to the most is an audience. That handful of other people who will read and critique what I wrote, so long as I do the same in return.

So I just keep coming back here every couple of years, where I seem to find be able to have my cake and eat it too, when I can remember to check the weekly prompts.

Sophia
07-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Hi Rabid Renaissance!

This room we're in right now is actually separate from the Sunday Night Flash Fiction Challenge (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137) that you're used to. That one is a sub-forum of the Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33) board.

As well as taking part in that challenge, you're welcome to join us for the Year of Writing Flash Fiction (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261044)challenge. I post a prompt, (which is usually one word :) ), each Saturday morning. The challenge is to write a flash story, edit and polish it, and then send it out of the door to a market within that one week. The prompt is optional to use. If you look in the Polished and Ready (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151) sub-forum (password: flashed), you'll see that participants post stories every week. They're recognisable by the "YOWFF" in the title. Participants critique each others' stories in a timely fashion, knowing there's a deadline to get the story submitted. If you're looking for a group experience, taking part in the YOWFF might be just the thing for you. If you fancy it, please jump in, whenever you like. :)

Rabid Renaissance
07-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I am interested in YOWFF, but I'd like to warm up with the Sunday Night crowd a bit first. I'll get in there post haste, though. It looks fun. Are you allowed/encouraged to post first drafts on these boards and gather feedback or is that reserved only for the final offerings?

Sophia
07-17-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't mind if first draft work is posted in Polished and Ready, but I wouldn't say it was encouraged, exactly. If you could do the following for the sake of forum members who are looking for work to critique, I would appreciate it:

1) Please state clearly at the start of the post (or in the title) that the work is a first draft.

2) Explain in general terms the type of feedback you're looking for.

These two things should help potential critiquers work out how best to gear their feedback for you, and help them decide whether they're able and willing to do the critique.

As with all posts to Polished and Ready, your story should be as good as you can make it before you post it. Even if it's "only" a first draft, going through this process with a professional attitude now will help you get used to the feeling of having your work critiqued. It will also be good practice for if you later decide to take the plunge into submitting. :)

jvc
07-17-2013, 01:43 AM
I agree with Sophia above. Although I would say to at least polish it a bit before you post it. There is a difference between first draft and rough draft. I wouldn't post a rough draft.

Spell-it-out
07-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I didn't send out last week's challenge, it just didn't work. Sometimes, no matter how hard you look at a piece, you can't make it manifest into something respectable.

I will let it sit for a few weeks, to see if the darkness will help it grow :)

Spell-it-out
07-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Received a great email this morning -

"Hi Eamonn:

Thanks for sending us "19 v 20." I'm afraid we cannot accept the piece as it stands right now, but if you are interested in revising your story, we're interested in working with you (time permitting).

I like the idea that a romantic interest is younger than the marriage of the protagonist, particularly the banter between the two of them. You've created this great tension ("One drink did no harm. But subsequent orders did." Great lines.) but now we need you to bring it home. What happens next? Do co-workers show up? Does the wife? The police? You decide, but let us know!

Please feel free to revise and resubmit."

That's a nice start to the day. Not an acceptance, but it's something!

Susie
07-23-2013, 07:55 PM
That's super they want you to revise it, Spell and they even gave you ideas for it! Well done! And hey all! :Cake:s 4 everyone!

Spell-it-out
07-24-2013, 01:58 AM
That's super they want you to revise it, Spell and they even gave you ideas for it! Well done! And hey all! :Cake:s 4 everyone!

Yeah absolutely delighted! Thanks for the wishes Susie...and the cake :)

ajaye
07-24-2013, 04:38 AM

"Hi Eamonn:

Thanks for sending us "19 v 20." I'm afraid we cannot accept the piece as it stands right now, but if you are interested in revising your story, we're interested in working with you (time permitting).

I like the idea that a romantic interest is younger than the marriage of the protagonist, particularly the banter between the two of them. You've created this great tension ("One drink did no harm. But subsequent orders did." Great lines.) but now we need you to bring it home. What happens next? Do co-workers show up? Does the wife? The police? You decide, but let us know!

Wohooo :snoopy:
Congratulations, that's great news :D

jvc
07-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Congrats, Eamonn, that is the next best thing to an acceptance. You are going to revise and resub, yes? :)

Spell-it-out
07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Congrats, Eamonn, that is the next best thing to an acceptance. You are going to revise and resub, yes? :)

Thanks JVC! Yes, I most definitely am!

Megann
07-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Happy news indeed! *Does a little dance.*

Silver-Midnight
07-25-2013, 05:47 AM

"Hi Eamonn:

Congrats!! :D

Spell-it-out
07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks so much, everyone!

BDavidHughes
07-25-2013, 07:34 AM
I have something similiar in my introduction thread in the "I've never seen you before...let's see some I.D." Newbie section, but I feel I really need to reiterate it here:

BY THE SEVEN INFECTED TOENAILS OF GODZILLA (ONE RESPONDED TO THE ANTIBIOTICS), WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME THERE ARE MARKETS LOOKING FOR FLASH FICTION?

Sorry. I'm a bit passionate about this at the moment; seeing this section made me register here. (And in case you're wondering, Google will actually offer you a suggested auto-complete for "How many toenails does Godzilla have". The internet, everyone!)

jvc
07-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I have something similiar in my introduction thread in the "I've never seen you before...let's see some I.D." Newbie section, but I feel I really need to reiterate it here:

BY THE SEVEN INFECTED TOENAILS OF GODZILLA (ONE RESPONDED TO THE ANTIBIOTICS), WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME THERE ARE MARKETS LOOKING FOR FLASH FICTION?

Sorry. I'm a bit passionate about this at the moment; seeing this section made me register here. (And in case you're wondering, Google will actually offer you a suggested auto-complete for "How many toenails does Godzilla have". The internet, everyone!)
Welcome to the watercooler and to the wonderful world of Flash Fiction. Yes, there is such a thing. :D

LeadHead
08-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi everyone! Just stopping by to say that I won't be around for the next month or so. I might be able to do some critiques now and then but I'm not sure. Anyway, I hope everyone keeps up with their writing and best of luck with your submissions :)

Spell-it-out
08-08-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm snowed under with work and other commitments this week so I won't post. I hope to get a few crits in before I go abroad on holiday next week.

ajaye
08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Best of luck to you too Leadhead. And happy holidays Spell.

Spell-it-out
08-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Best of luck to you too Leadhead. And happy holidays Spell.

Thanks ajaye!

Silver-Midnight
08-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Good luck, Lead.

And enjoy your trip, Spell. :D

jvc
09-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Been a while since anyone checked in here, so am wondering how it's going for everyone? How's the writering? Anyone subbed anything lately? Got any acceptances? When was the last time you had a bacon sandwich?

Come on, everyone. Check in time. :)

LeadHead
09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
There's no news from me at the moment. I only just got back from some time abroad but will be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks. I am itching to get back to writing so hopefully there'll be more progress soon.

Spell-it-out
09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Been a while since anyone checked in here, so am wondering how it's going for everyone?

Life is very busy at the moment!

How's the writering?

Only okay. I'm tight on time these days, and any time I do have is spent on editing my novel.

Anyone subbed anything lately? Got any acceptances?

I wrote last weeks prompt, but didn't submit as I felt sending it out in the current state would do it no favours. I'm glad I did, as I've received some great comments on it in the meantime.

When was the last time you had a bacon sandwich?

I'm sorry to say, but it's been about a week...I promise not to go so long without a bacon sandwich again, sir. :)

jvc
10-14-2013, 01:25 AM
How's everyone doing? Anyone in need of a coffee?

LeadHead
10-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Just about settled down now and wanting to get back into the swing of things.

I've been away a while and also been pretty lax about resubmitting my rejections (some personal :)) so I now have a stack of stories to submit which I'll try to do this week.

Another thing that happened while I was away was that I got a rewrite request :D...which was then rejected :(. Oh well, at least I feel like I'm making progress.

Anyway, I've noticed it's gotten a bit quiet around here so would be nice to get it back to the way things were (or maybe even better :D).

So, how's everyone else doing?

Silver-Midnight
10-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Not doing that much writing really. I've been a bit busy lately so, I really don't have the time. So,....yeah.

jvc
12-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Almost the end of the year, and Christmas is around the corner. How has everyone done with their writing this year?

LeadHead
12-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Well, this was my first year of writing and it seems I wrote 14 pieces and made 26 submissions (all rejections with a few personal ones in there as well :)).

My output definitely dropped off in the second half of the year due to various work things but I hope to do better next year and also to see Sophia's excellent prompts continue as well (no pressure :D).

How has everyone else's year been?

LeadHead
02-23-2015, 12:17 AM
So it's been a while since I've been here (has it really been over a year!) but it's the usual story with real life getting in the way and finding less time to write. So I decided to go back to a couple of old pieces that I wrote for the Flash Fiction challenge a couple of years ago and one has finally been accepted!:hooray:

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who critiqued any of my work back in the day and I'll try to stick around a bit longer this time :).

Fruitbat
02-23-2015, 12:36 AM
So it's been a while since I've been here (has it really been over a year!) but it's the usual story with real life getting in the way and finding less time to write. So I decided to go back to a couple of old pieces that I wrote for the Flash Fiction challenge a couple of years ago and one has finally been accepted!:hooray:

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who critiqued any of my work back in the day and I'll try to stick around a bit longer this time :).

Congrats, Leadhead!

Sophia
02-23-2015, 01:25 AM
That's wonderful news! Congratulations, LeadHead!