Markets for Mystery--short stories

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I can't remember which thread I read it in now, but there was some discussion that it is difficult to find markets for mystery short stories.

I was intrigued by that since I have a book (from the library) The Best of American Mystery Stories. Someone's printing them! I thought I would grab the book and list some to be helpful. Then I realized the book is from 2010, maybe the markets have closed or changed. So I checked Duotrope.

I put mystery, short story and pro pay in the search engine and got: Alfred Hitchcock, Cicada, Cricket, Criminal Element, Dark Discoveries, Ellery Queen, Mixer Publishing, Shock Totem, The Washington Pastime, Wily Writers Speculative Fiction.

If I put in "token and up" about 25 more markets are added to the list...including Comets and Criminals, of course :). I realize that is likely a small list compared to other genres, but still if you love writing mysteries, there are some options. I'm a big believer in writing what you love.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I put mystery, short story and pro pay in the search engine and got: Alfred Hitchcock, Cicada, Cricket, Criminal Element, Dark Discoveries, Ellery Queen, Mixer Publishing, Shock Totem, The Washington Pastime, Wily Writers Speculative Fiction.

This list is somewhat generous. Cicada and Cricket are children magazines, Shock Totem will only take horror/mystery subs and no one knows what The Washington Pastime actually pays.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Oh, I see. Good to know.

Well there is the Tony Hillerman Mystery Contest coming up.

Why are Cicada and Cricket listed as mystery? Weird. I have kids so I know those magazines, I just didn't realize these were those, LOL!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I see. Good to know.

Well there is the Tony Hillerman Mystery Contest coming up.

Why are Cicada and Cricket listed as mystery? Weird. I have kids so I know those magazines, I just didn't realize these were those, LOL!

Because they technically accept those genres, but they have to be mysteries written for young kids. Can you come up with the next Scooby Doo? :)