One way to ensure I don't want to read a book...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
...is to oversell the author.

I've just received a few copies of a new book at work. It's a thriller in the Lee Child area. The blurby bit is one of the most over the top pieces I've read in years. Basically, the author has (apparently) been trained by military personnel in just about all aspects of covert operations you can think of and is 'no ordinary writer' and his book is 'no ordinary thriller'. More than half of the blurb is about the author; the generic plot complete with generic tough guy gets a bit of a mention. Ignoring the fact that most of the reviews on Amazon suggest the book is awful, I'd give it a miss based on the overselling of the author. I know it's marketing but I want the story to sell itself to me, not be smashed over the head with how the author is Bourne/Bond/Bauer/Reacher/Superman rolled into one.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... blurbs are pretty useless in general. It would be so much better in my view if publishers spent that space giving accurate descriptions of what books are about rather than souped-up sales pitches that leave you clueless.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
... blurbs are pretty useless in general. It would be so much better in my view if publishers spent that space giving accurate descriptions of what books are about rather than souped-up sales pitches that leave you clueless.

yep

I find myself so very much not caring about what experiences the author brings to the table before reading the book. If I like what I read, I'll track the author down to be suitably impressed (or not) by them as a person. If I get a book, I'd really like to read the book and not about the author.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I find myself so very much not caring about what experiences the author brings to the table before reading the book. If I like what I read, I'll track the author down to be suitably impressed (or not) by them as a person. If I get a book, I'd really like to read the book and not about the author.

Exactly. I couldn't give a monkey's about the author's military history for the book in question. I don't want to know that they're a tough guy. If anything, all that is going to do is give me the impression the MC is nothing but a wish-fulfilment version of the author.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Experience the author brings to the table...

Many years ago there was a men's action adventure series about mercenaries in Africa. It was gritty. It was tough. It had sex. Things were going well enough ...

Then the publisher started getting letters. One from Africa, and it went roughly, "Mikey: Thought you were dead. Now we know you aren't we're going to find you, mate." Another was from a solicitor in London: "We believe that [author] is the father of our client's minor child...." And so on.

The editors were ... bemused.

The author was thrilled, because the author was really a pseudonym for a pair of little-old-lady librarians in upper New York State who had never been within a thousand miles of Africa (or London), didn't know any mercenaries, had never served in the military. All they knew how to do was research, and write cracking yarns.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I don't mind that sort of thing in the "About the Author" section, but yeah, not in the blurb. But I do notice if the authors of the Bourne/Bond etc. give a quote on the book. I might take a look if they give glowing comments. (except maybe those deceased ones :ROFL: )

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Real life experience doesn't guarantee a good book, since being James Bond has nothing to do with writing well. Keep the creds for queries, I'd say, but I suppose there's a sizeable group of readers who are impressed by a tough guy/insider resume. I also suppose there's a big overlap between this group and the group that reads thrillers. This subset would prize authenticity, a sense of listening to someone in the know, someone who might be whispering secrets under the guise of fiction.

Apart from gleaning an idea of the plot, I ignore cover summaries and testimonials. The first pages of the novel proper are all that count with me.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
The interesting issue with this particular book is that the important people (the readers) don't appear to be too impressed with the author's background, supposed or not. The reviews have focused on the writing and most reviews are finding it lacking.

Last edited:

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score

I absolutely hate it when I pick up a book in the store, turn it over and see nothing but "Great read" - "Excellent written book" - "The funniest shit I've read in years" on its back ... without a single word of what the book is actually about. If it is a hardcover, I can usually look at the inside of the flapjacket ... but with most paperbacks - not so much luck.

Who in the publishing industry thought this was a good idea?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I agree. I'll actually put a novel back on the bookstore or library shelf if I read nothing but gushy blurbs on the back or jacket cover. I want to know what the book is about. Later, I *might* skim through a group of reviews on Amazon or Goodreads to see if I'd like to read a heavily-blurbed book. Generally, these kinds of covers are for super-popular commercial/thriller authors I don't read anyway.

I'm also not keen on spam emails from publishers about their latest offering, if those books are blurbed the same way. For some reason, YA is getting lots of this marketing treatment right now, and the inundation is actually turning me off reading new YA.

Over-hype: the fastest way to make me not want a book.

Reaction score
I hate it when I read blurbs that tell me how good the books is. "The most exciting thriller of the year," "A heart-stopping rollercoaster ride."

Er, really? Reading this book will make my heart stop beating? I think not.

Whenever I read "From the author of last year's bestselling Shit Your Pants; I'm Coming to Get You, comes the bloodcurdling epic tale of the century, Corr Blimey Mother, the Vicar's Come to Tea," I think, oh piss off and let me make up my own mind how wonderful this book is.

Well...that's if I bother to fight my way through the brainwank to the actual book itself.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I absolutely hate it when I pick up a book in the store, turn it over and see nothing but "Great read" - "Excellent written book" - "The funniest shit I've read in years" on its back ... without a single word of what the book is actually about.

I agree. I'll actually put a novel back on the bookstore or library shelf if I read nothing but gushy blurbs on the back or jacket cover. I want to know what the book is about.

I hate it when I read blurbs that tell me how good the books is. "The most exciting thriller of the year," "A heart-stopping rollercoaster ride."

I often think about this and get the impression some people see plot or story as a dirty side-effect of a book. To them, a book should be concerned with something more important than just a plot. They want it to mean something. Me? I want a story and characters. I couldn't give a toss if it's An Important Book or One That Will Change How We Think or if the author is He-Man in his spare time.

Just tell me a fucking story and get your head out of your arse.

Reaction score
Those 'rollercoaster' blurbs are often from publishers playing up the plot, making it seem more shit-your-pants scary than it is.

Dude, it's a book. I know it's not real. It won't make me void my bowels in fear or excitement.

LET. ME. JUDGE. THE DAMN THING.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Dude, it's a book. I know it's not real. It won't make me void my bowels in fear or excitement.

Now I've never shit myself from reading, but I have been known to yell at a book or spit my drink :)

But I agree with seun. Who gives a shit if the author is a military personel or my grandmother's rotting corpse, if it's good then I'll follow that author.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Thanks, Scarlett. I appreciate the offer. Don't think it would work for the light rom-com I'm working on though.

This could work out for Seun though. ;)

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Exactly. I couldn't give a monkey's about the author's military history for the book in question. I don't want to know that they're a tough guy. If anything, all that is going to do is give me the impression the MC is nothing but a wish-fulfilment version of the author.

Heh, exactly. It wouldn't bother me if the author was an 85 year old nun who was just really, really good at research, as long as the book was exciting and felt authentic in the end. :D

ETA: Has, Just read James McDonald's post, pretty close to that exact scenario. Excellent!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The book still has to be good, but I prefer a writer who has been there, done that. Good research can cover a lot of bare spots, but I don't believe for a second that readers who have also been there and done that can't tell the difference.

If the writer hasn't been there and done that, he needs to talk to those who have, and get it right.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I agree. I'll actually put a novel back on the bookstore or library shelf if I read nothing but gushy blurbs on the back or jacket cover. I want to know what the book is about. Later, I *might* skim through a group of reviews on Amazon or Goodreads to see if I'd like to read a heavily-blurbed book. Generally, these kinds of covers are for super-popular commercial/thriller authors I don't read anyway.
Heh. I was about to mention that almost all of Dean R Koontz's paperbacks are that way.

I have a theory based on movie commercials that are similarly formatted. Someone somewhere in the marketing department took a look at the plot and basically went, "Really? Someone thought this would sell? Shit. Okay, so what do I do with this..."

That's heavily simplified, but probably not far from the truth.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a recent experience with this, big-name historical writer, boasting on her blurb about how much research she did for new book. It came across as really condescending to other historical writers, as though they don't spend days/weeks in the university library either.

And you know what, I don't care that she had spent an afternoon training as a Roman charioteer. Because the book proved she new sweet FA about Roman espionage, when - guess what - her MC was a spy in Ancient Rome.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
What? There's a Roman charioteer school?

Sign me up.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I ignore the blurbs. I ignore the first few pages. I open a book to the middle and start reading there. If that catches my interest, then and only then do I look at the first page. But blurbs? Meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.