PDA

View Full Version : From the wtf files: Now that pizza is a vegetable...

Perks
02-17-2012, 03:04 AM
A while back, there was some discussion about pizza being classified as a vegetable (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230075&highlight=pizza) in public school lunches by virtue of the tomato paste, you know that cheap sticky red crap they use that's actually made of a little pulped fruit, some corn syrup, and a bargeload of salt.

These are the things we talk about and we get ruffled and opinionated, but I don't know if you're like me and have a hard timing actually believing it - telling yourself, "Yeah, one or two idiots out there advocating nonsense..."

Until.

Until, until, until...

Today, I was walking my third-grader out of the building and heard the afternoon announcements. The Principal was describing the lunch choices for tomorrow. Hand to heaven, this was the end of the message: "Tomorrow everyone will be getting a free slushie with their lunch. The slushie will count as a fruit."

I'm sensing a strongly worded letter coming on.

BeatrixKiddo
02-17-2012, 03:30 AM
:ROFL:

It is fruit...with extra, extra sugar.

Perks
02-17-2012, 04:01 AM
According to the county website, the schools do serve a "100% fruit juice slush". I guess my complaint is slightly less than it was and more confined to the fact that I wish she would not call it the same thing that you buy in the convenience stores.

If I'm confused, you know the kids will be. "But can't I have beef jerky with my slushie? Ms. M says it's a fruit!"

kayleamay
02-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the pharma companies are funding school lunch programs to ensure a new, larger generation of diabetics.

Jersey Chick
02-17-2012, 05:12 AM
That's like the reasoning in my school district that says a parent can't send in cupcakes/cake/candy etc for a kid's birthday and yet those same kids can buy ice cream/cookies/potato chips every day of the week in the cafeteria (and in some of the upper schools, soda.)

Apparently it's only bad for you if it comes into the school via a parent.

Idiots. all of them.

backslashbaby
02-17-2012, 05:16 AM
No kidding! I had to bring dessert to an event recently and joked that, since it was carrot cake, it counted as a veggie :D

OK, so I really do that with my desserts! I count the sugar separately, and I really am looking for antioxidants and vitamins and stuff in the food. I also love zucchini bread and V-8 smoothies. Ah, but the sugar will get you if you don't count it at all, yes :) No doubt.

Jersey Chick
02-17-2012, 05:19 AM
It's ridiculous. The kids are told to bring in things like pencils (if my kid brings home one more goddamn pencil, I'm using it to stab someone) or donate a book to the library. Because that's just so fun for the birthday kid.

So I get even - my son's in the PM kindergarten - I load him with sugar just before he gets on the bus. :D

Perks
02-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the pharma companies are funding school lunch programs to ensure a new, larger generation of diabetics.Yeah, and even the "100% fruit juice slush" can contribute to that, because they concentrate the hell out of the juice so that you're getting double or triple (god knows, maybe more) of the sugar you'd get in a cup of juice the same size.

It's depressing.

kayleamay
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Our schools have the fruit slushies too, but they call them "Frosty Fruit Juicers". They also have something on the menu called "Tempting Tater Triangles". My kids still haven't been able to explain to me exactly what they consist of. I haven't even bothered to ask what it means when the main entree is called "The Works". I probably don't want to know. My kids pack their lunches.

benbradley
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the pharma companies are funding school lunch programs to ensure a new, larger generation of diabetics.
That's a really good conspiracy theory as it makes perfect sense, unfortunately the state of school lunch programs are too easily explained without the injection of pharma money.

That's like the reasoning in my school district that says a parent can't send in cupcakes/cake/candy etc for a kid's birthday and yet those same kids can buy ice cream/cookies/potato chips every day of the week in the cafeteria (and in some of the upper schools, soda.)

Idiots. all of them.
That's the perfect setup for this story from a few days ago:
(okay, skip over the UPDATE: part, as that makes it not nearly as good a story, but still, it happened)
http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2012/02/14/a-turkey-sandwich-and-chips-from-home-versus-school-nuggets-sounds-like-a-toss-up-to-me/

My kids pack their lunches.
Uh oh...

regdog
02-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Schools get paid by the food companies to hock their stuff. I couldn't believe it when I saw McDonald's Burger King, Pizz Hut etc being sold in school cafeterias.

Bottom line, money talks, LOUDLY.

These Mean Streets
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Schools get paid by the food companies to hock their stuff. I couldn't believe it when I saw McDonald's Burger King, Pizz Hut etc being sold in school cafeterias.

Bottom line, money talks, LOUDLY.State and local school budgets have been drastically cut, and seem to always be one of the first items on the chopping block when it comes to downsizing and budget cuts (but God forbid they try to get more money by taxing some corporations or the 1%.)

As a result, many schools are forced to "make deals with the devil" so to speak, and accept corporate sponsorships, in one form or another, to make up the shortfall.

Such has our great nation become.

Ken
02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
... slushie = fruit? Wow. That is really too much!

quickWit
02-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Ice cream is the new tofu

kayleamay
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Idiots. all of them.

That's the perfect setup for this story from a few days ago:
(okay, skip over the UPDATE: part, as that makes it not nearly as good a story, but still, it happened)
http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2012/02/14/a-turkey-sandwich-and-chips-from-home-versus-school-nuggets-sounds-like-a-toss-up-to-me/

Uh oh...

Yes, there are a lot of potential stories out there, but, as I stated in the other thread ( http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7013701&postcount=37 ), it usually boils down to a couple of idiots.

I have to go pack my son's lunch now: two PB&J's on sprouted grain, a banana, an apple and string cheese.

kayleamay
02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
And bunneh is the new chicken.

backslashbaby
02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Bunneh is yummy, seriously :D

Perks
02-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Bunneh is tasty enough, but it's too much work for too little meat.

stormie
02-18-2012, 12:27 AM
:ROFL:

It is fruit...with extra, extra sugar.
Make that "extra, extra high fructose corn syrup," the cheaper version of sugar.

There are kids whose systems can't handle high fructose corn syrup.

quickWit
02-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Bunneh is tasty enough, but it's too much work for too little meat.

Ooooo.
*takes knee*

Oh, that was hurtful, Perks. Srsly.

Perks
02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
I had to do it. You would have.

quickWit
02-18-2012, 01:21 AM
yeah.

I would have.

Jersey Chick
02-18-2012, 01:22 AM
**snerk**

quickWit
02-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Hey, shut up! Snot funny!

Jersey Chick
02-18-2012, 01:29 AM
oh, but it is. :D

quickWit
02-18-2012, 01:32 AM
With all due respect, I think we've strayed from the original purpose of the thread, which was to discuss the glorious victory our gastrically challenged youth have won by having pizza declared a fruit, or a vegetable, or something.

Huzzah! Oh, happy day! Let us all rejoice, and stuff!

Mark G
02-18-2012, 01:53 AM
This thread makes me think of Mary Poppins and "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down" (video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnoR9cBP3o) in case the song isn't already burning a hole in your brain)

A veggie pizza, assuming that veggies were actually used in the creation, would include some of the following: tomatoes, green peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, spices, and yes - sugar. At the very least the sugar would be in the bread holding all the veggies together, and the cheese making it stick.

Aside from the bread and the cheese, that means kids are getting a few veggies at least.

Though, I'm guessing anything from a school cafeteria barely qualifies as food.

Perks
02-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Unfortunately, that would make too much sense if it was a veggie pizza, but they're talking about cheese pizza -

If passed, the spending bill would keep French fries on school lunch trays and allow a serving of pizza to be considered a vegetable if it is spread with two tablespoons of tomato paste.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/11/16/pizza-is-a-vegetable-new-bill-would-make-it-official/

Mark G
02-18-2012, 02:17 AM
I happen to have a can of Contadina Tomato Paste! Serving size is even 2 Tbsp, so that makes it easy to tell what that translates to nutritionally:

Calories: 30
Cal from fat: 0
Total fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 20mg (1% RDA)
Total Carbs: 6g (2% RDA)
Dietary Fiber: 1g (6% RDA)
Sugars: 3g
Protien: 2g

Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 0%
Iron 4%

Not horrible...

Perks
02-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Sure. Two tablespoons of tomato paste isn't going to kill anyone, but you're comfortable with telling third graders that cheese pizza counts as a serving of vegetables?

Mr Flibble
02-18-2012, 02:45 AM
While a homemade pizza can be an excellent way of smuggling veggies into a toddlers diet (chop them up so small they don;t notice! muhahaha)....it is not a veggie.

My dughter's school inspects lunchboxes - and I get why, a dinner lady once told mne she found a shop bought pasty and three bags of crisps (chips to you 'merkins)--it got silly when I was told that a flapjack wasn't allowed. Exaqueeze me? Every other part of the lunch was uber healthy - my daugter has a hting for carrot sticks and olives - but a smallpiece of flapjack as dessert was Bad? Oh pu-lease*. Won that though. I used the 'Send the Old Man in to scowl at them' method. Worked a charm.

*Also, Kit Kats (biscuit and chocolate) are fine....

Perks
02-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Getting kids to eat vegetables in school might be a difficult task, so I sympathize to the point of saying offer fruit instead for the most part and leave the green-wrangling for the homefront. But it's damage that will need undoing if the children start thinking that pizza is a healthfood because it has tomato paste on it.

And what's a flapjack, eh?

kayleamay
02-18-2012, 02:52 AM
*Also, Kit Kats (biscuit and chocolate) are fine....

At least they got one thing right.

Mark G
02-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Sure. Two tablespoons of tomato paste isn't going to kill anyone, but you're comfortable with telling third graders that cheese pizza counts as a serving of vegetables?

Personally, my "counts as" would involve an analytical comparison to the nutritional value of the alternatives:

Peas and Peas+Carrots are much better:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2520/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2531/2

Cream Corn is arguably worse:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2419/2

Still, you have a point; stretching the definition of vegetable to a child could confuse the youngster.

Dictionary.com doesn't list pizza in the definition of vegetable :)

veg·e·ta·ble

   /ˈvɛdʒtəbəl, ˈvɛdʒɪtə-/ [/URL]Show Spelled[vej-tuh-buhl, vej-i-tuh-] [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html"] (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html)Show IPA

noun
any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.
the edible part of such a plant, as the tuber of the potato.
any member of the vegetable kingdom (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vegetable+kingdom); plant.

Chachant
02-18-2012, 03:00 AM
I think the only way I ate enough vegetables as a kid was by drinking V8. I also likely have enough salt to fill everyone's salt shakers for eternity.

kayleamay
02-18-2012, 03:02 AM
I think the only way I ate enough vegetables as a kid was by drinking V8. I also likely have enough salt to fill everyone's salt shakers for eternity.

There's a low sodium option. I make my husband drink it because he's worse than a child when it comes to most vegetables. He's making progress though. Just last week I got him to eat a whole serving of green beans without gagging.

Perks
02-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Yeah, the 'eat your veggies' struggle has been a rite of passage for ages, and look where it's gotten us.

I just don't want to have to undo the idea that a slushie is a serving of fruit and a piece of cheese pizza will do for you what a green salad will.

I don't want to have unschool after school.

Mark G
02-18-2012, 03:18 AM
There's a low sodium option. I make my husband drink it because he's worse than a child when it comes to most vegetables. He's making progress though. Just last week I got him to eat a whole serving of green beans without gagging.

I recommend ketchup or BBQ sauce... :drool
...that's how I keep from gagging on my veggies.

also good at disguising veggies:

Ranch dressing
Salsa
Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning mix
hummous! (everything's better with hummous)
:Thumbs:

Chachant
02-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Yeah, the 'eat your veggies' struggle has been a rite of passage for ages, and look where it's gotten us.

I just don't want to have to undo the idea that a slushie is a serving of fruit and a piece of cheese pizza will do for you what a green salad will.

Wasn't there something on the news recently about a kid who had her lunch she brought from home taken away, because a state worker deemed it unhealthy? She was then given chicken nuggets, if I remember correctly.

Perks
02-18-2012, 03:22 AM
hummous! (everything's better with hummous)

I eat hummus for breakfast sometimes. Can't get enough of the stuff.

Mark G
02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Wasn't there something on the news recently about a kid who had her lunch she brought from home taken away, because a state worker deemed it unhealthy? She was then given chicken nuggets, if I remember correctly.

Wow. There's a video on Youtube about the making of chicken nuggets. I think I'll never eat another chicken nugget for the rest of my life.

Reminds me of some of the commercials about "what part of the chicken goes into chicken nuggets?"

To replace a home-made lunch with nuggets, you have to wonder what was in that home-made lunch. Moldy bread? Meat with maggots?

benbradley
02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
The Low Sodium V8 is an "acquired taste" - it tastes drastically different because of how MUCH salt is in the regular V8. After drinking the low-sodium, I could DIRECTLY taste the salt in the regular V8.

If only what they "learn" in the lunchroom were the only things parents had to unteach. I recall your threads about a teacher having the kids study age-inappropriate material.

Be sure to tell your children about Lincoln's Dog (http://www.sermonillustrations.com/a-z/l/lincoln.htm):

Once, when a stubborn disputer seemed unconvinced, Lincoln said, "Well, let's see how many legs has a cow?" "Four, of course," came the reply disgustedly. "That's right," agreed Lincoln. "Now suppose you call the cow's tail a leg; how many legs would the cow have?" "Why, five, of course," was the confident reply. "Now, that's where you're wrong," said Lincoln. "Calling a cow's tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

kayleamay
02-18-2012, 03:33 AM

Oh, that. Yeah, I have to unschool my kids on US history on a regular basis.

Chachant
02-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Wow. There's a video on Youtube about the making of chicken nuggets. I think I'll never eat another chicken nugget for the rest of my life.

Reminds me of some of the commercials about "what part of the chicken goes into chicken nuggets?"

To replace a home-made lunch with nuggets, you have to wonder what was in that home-made lunch. Moldy bread? Meat with maggots?

Especially cafeteria chicken nuggets. I remember eating chicken nuggets when I was in school. I knew after I was done that what I ate was something, but it certainly wasn't chicken.

Perks
02-18-2012, 03:35 AM
If only what they "learn" in the lunchroom were the only things parents had to unteach. I recall your threads about a teacher having the kids study age-inappropriate material.

Oh the pain. It's not been fun.

Be sure to tell your children about Lincoln's Dog (http://www.sermonillustrations.com/a-z/l/lincoln.htm):[/QUOTE]
Very cool. I shall remember that one.

Mark G
02-18-2012, 03:40 AM
I eat hummus for breakfast sometimes. Can't get enough of the stuff.

If you haven't seen "Don't mess with the Zohan", you might really enjoy it!

GailD
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
veg·e·ta·ble

   /ˈvɛdʒtəbəl, ˈvɛdʒɪtə-/ Show Spelled[vej-tuh-buhl, vej-i-tuh-] Show IPA

noun

any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.

I'm not sure where this quote originated but it's incorrect. A tomato is actually a fruit - not a vegetable. (I know tomato/tomahto. :))

But as far as school lunches are concerned, we have the same problem here. Loads of fats, sugars and carbs are served - in the upmarket, suburban schools

Sadly in the many rural schools no lunches are served as there is no money available. A lot of kids go hungry.

Next time your child complains about school food, show him/her this:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/southern/Many-South-African-Children-Going-Hungry-135673248.html

benbradley
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
The FDA should move into The The Twenty First Century as far as presentation of information is concerned, and make the list of ingredients into a word cloud, where the word for each ingredient is sized proportionally to how much of the daily recommendation or allowance it accounts for in the food.

Pizza might look something like this:

wheat cheese tomato sugar salt