PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a haircut before my Apple Store job interview?

JoeEkaitis
02-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Interview's next Thursday, 2/23.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6888459869_1ca2dcbcbf_o.jpg

Cut it? Leave it? Let's go to the poll!

thothguard51
02-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Leave the hair and spend the money buying the apple interviewer a lap dance...

HarryHoskins
02-17-2012, 02:56 AM
I think you look handsome as you are. :)

The danger of a haircut is you run the risk of not having enough growing out time should the hairdresser be scissor-happy. However, if it's Apple Mac rather than Apple Orchards you are applying for I would say a skin head should suffice.

If it's apple orchards -- forget the haircut and buy a straw hat. :)

Medievalist
02-17-2012, 02:57 AM
For a job in corporate or retail?

Corporate yes; there's a new aesthetic. Retail, no.

Fenika
02-17-2012, 03:28 AM
I'd say skip the cut. You look good. I think slightly smaller frames would match your face better though. :)

BeatrixKiddo
02-17-2012, 03:28 AM
I like the longer hair but remember, you need to "fit" into the Apple culture. Wear something hip and cool. Maybe a more casual suit?

Otherwise, you might remind the interviewer of their dad, like that other young chick who blew you off at that other interview you posted about. I know it sucks, but be the "cool older dude". That's how I would work it anyway.

That's the problem with tech companies these days. No one is over 40 anymore, unless they still have employees who have been there forever.

kayleamay
02-17-2012, 03:41 AM
I think your hair is fine the way it is, but I bet you'd really seal the deal if you told them what's in that casserole dish.

(I mean really, how many hints can I drop? Tell us, Joe. What's in the dish? I've been staring at that think for months now.)

Good luck!

Chumplet
02-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I say grow your hair longer and get a pony tail so you'll look like one of those nerdy intelligent guys. I know you already are, but just so you'll LOOK like one.

Paul
02-17-2012, 04:38 AM
agreed. pony tail or burst

JoeEkaitis
02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks, everyone. Based on your advice, the poll and the tendency of my hair to go all flyaway on a dry day, I decided on a trim yesterday, which gives 4 days for it to grow out a bit.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6905892129_6fd00274be_o.jpg

Many job search sites advise against getting your hair cut and/or styled the day before or the day of the interview because hiring managers, consciously or not, sense your discomfort with your appearance.

One more decision: which watch, or none at all?

Would my everyday Seiko Mickey Mouse day/date project a little of that rebelliousness Apple claims to value in their employees or might it come across as not being serious? Or would no watch at all be best, as it seems to be all the rage now that people use their phones as timepieces?

thothguard51
02-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Leave the watch at home. You don't want them to think you are a clock watcher...

Susan Littlefield
02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice haircut! Good luck on your job interview!

Snitchcat
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Hmm... professional and 'in' would the be way to sum it up.

Good luck!

Lavern08
02-20-2012, 11:41 PM
I like the trimmed look, Joe. :hi:

* Walks off mumbling about how those youngun's don't appreciate the wisdom and experience us old poots baby boomers have to offer *

Mclesh
02-20-2012, 11:48 PM
You look handsome, Joe. (Of course, I thought you looked good before as well.)

Be yourself, be friendly. Good luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

kayleamay
02-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Skip the watch. Bring the casserole dish.

Lady MacBeth
02-21-2012, 06:31 AM
:)Good luck!

These Mean Streets
02-21-2012, 04:14 PM
If it were me, I'd have the barber shave an Apple logo into the side of my hair to seal the deal.

At the least, maybe a windows logo with a slash through it.

Lavern08
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
How did the interview go, Joe? :Shrug:

JoeEkaitis
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
How did the interview go, Joe? :Shrug:Actually, it was another casting call, er, uh, a hiring event. Eight of us at a time with two Apple guys from the Business team. No sign-in sheet, just a few "How would you . . . ?" and "What if . . . ?" questions. It was over in barely 45 minutes and they had us leave our names, phone numbers, email addresses, hours available to work and our store location preferences.

Third hiring event so far. Not a peep yet.

JoeEkaitis
03-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Arrived yesterday:

Joseph Ekaitis,
SUBJ: Thank you for your interest in Apple Retail

Thank you for your interest in opportunities with Apple Retail. As you can imagine we received a large number of qualified applicants for this role. At this time we have chosen to move forward with other candidates that meet the needs of today. I want to personally thank you for your interest and for investing the time to speak with us about this opportunity.

Thank you again for your time and interest in Apple. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Apple Store Victoria Gardens

In other words, you look good on paper but you're too old and ugly to put on an Apple crew shirt. Time to pack it in and look for something else.

Cella
03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Arrived yesterday:

Joseph Ekaitis,
SUBJ: Thank you for your interest in Apple Retail

Thank you for your interest in opportunities with Apple Retail. As you can imagine we received a large number of qualified applicants for this role. At this time we have chosen to move forward with other candidates that meet the needs of today. I want to personally thank you for your interest and for investing the time to speak with us about this opportunity.

Thank you again for your time and interest in Apple. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Apple Store Victoria Gardens

In other words, you look good on paper but you're too old and ugly to put on an Apple crew shirt. Time to pack it in and look for something else.
whereas you were going to ...what? try to get everyone to use floppies again?

:(

I'm sorry Joe.
:Hug2:

Lavern08
03-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Phooey,

It's their loss, Joe. ;)

JoeEkaitis
03-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Ya know, if I lost a few pounds, trimmed and combed my hair just right and slipped on the right pair of glasses, I could put the fear of God into the crew at any Apple Store, just by walking in the door. ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6969834997_02680eacec_o.jpg

Snitchcat
03-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Don't know if I should laugh or say I find that spooky....

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but Lavern is right: their loss. Hope you find something you like, soon!