PDA

View Full Version : To Nudge or Not to Nudge

popmuze
02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I've got a full manuscript out with about six agents, who all seemed very excited to request it. Now the last of them has had it almost three months, with the outside being eight or nine months. I'm figuring it's time to start nudging. Has anyone ever had success with this, other than receiving a quick rejection? What if I don't nudge at all? What are my chances of getting a positive response after so much time has gone by?

Drachen Jager
02-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Chance of a positive response, very slim.

Some people have nudged and been given an offer, but it's quite rare.

Go ahead and nudge, few would begrudge a nudge after three months (I'm feeling very poetical today).

happywritermom
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I would nudge those who have had it more than 6 months. That's plenty of time. Perhaps they just need a reminder. The worst that will happen is rejection and that will at least bring you closure.

amschilling
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
I think it would depend on the type of nudge. If you didn't get a confirmation email from them when you sent the full in, you could certainly say you wanted to follow up to make sure it was received. You can reply to your original email that way to jog their memory. Beyond that it's tricky--what do they say their average time to respond is? Some agents decide in a week. Some take up to a year to even read the ms. I've heard a lot of agents say that patience is critical, so you don't want to start asking (and therefore acting impatient) if their standard window for response hasn't gone by.

Drachen Jager
02-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Guys agents aren't a bunch of evil Harpies looking out for excuses to wreck your career (well, most of them aren't). They're human, most of them are quite nice actually. So long as you're not pestering them they're usually quite easy to get along with. Just write a polite e-mail, remind them who you are ask if they've had a chance to look at it yet. Keep it short and polite and leave them a realistic timetable to view the material and you'll be fine. Three months is plenty.

DoctorK
02-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Guys agents aren't a bunch of evil Harpies looking out for excuses to wreck your career

Citation? ;)

Jamesaritchie
02-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Depending on what the agent's guidelines say, a nudge is perfectly fine after three months. There are no chances., no odds. You just don't know. This agent may be one who doesn't respond unless it's a yes, or one who is busy and hasn't even read your submission, etc.

Just nudge. It does no harm after three months.

BethS
02-17-2012, 01:29 AM
I've got a full manuscript out with about six agents, who all seemed very excited to request it. Now the last of them has had it almost three months, with the outside being eight or nine months. I'm figuring it's time to start nudging. Has anyone ever had success with this, other than receiving a quick rejection? What if I don't nudge at all? What are my chances of getting a positive response after so much time has gone by?

Nudge them all. Three months is a more than reasonable time to do that, and for anything beyond three months, it's past time.

Saanen
02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
I would nudge them all too. Three months is a reasonable time to wait for a response. I'd also start querying again.

When I nudge, I always mention that I'm concerned that my spam filter may have caught and deleted their reply. That's happened occasionally and it's better than saying, "Hey, why are you taking so long?" :)

popmuze
02-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Put through seven nudges yesterday. Heard back from one agent so far, ironically the one who'd had it the shortest time, who promised to read it post haste.

Chiquita Banana
02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Put through seven nudges yesterday. Heard back from one agent so far, ironically the one who'd had it the shortest time, who promised to read it post haste.

That's great. Bet you're glad you nudged. Good luck!

OohLaLaura
02-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Regarding 'nudging' and being impatient:
Have any of you gotten a negative response to a nudge?
(If it was sent within a reasonable time frame, like 3-6 months?)