Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/librarynu-book-downloading-injunction_n_1280383.html

A large coalition of publishing firms and related trade organizations has taken legal action against what the Association of American Publishers in Washington, D.C., described on Wednesday as "one of the largest pirate web-based businesses in the world."
At the request of 17 publishing companies in the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany, including HarperCollins, Oxford University Press and Macmillan, a Munich judge on Monday granted injunctions against illegal posting or sharing of online book files by two websites. Library.nu is alleged to have posted links to hundreds of thousands of illegal PDF copies of books since December 2010, Ed McCoyd, an attorney for the Association of American Publishers, told The Huffington Post. The majority of these uploads allegedly went through the website iFile.it, he said.
:Clap:

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Amusing outpouring of frustrated Russian commenters over at the Bookseller article today!

Does it not seem like the publishers are missing a trick, though? There's multi-millions in ad revenue they've apparently missed out on because they weren't offering something like this service themselves.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
On the one hand, I'm glad the source of the piracy was shut down. On the other, I'm disappointed the publishers couldn't see, or perhaps decided not to exploit the marketing and distribution opportunities presented.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
On the one hand, I'm glad the source of the piracy was shut down. On the other, I'm disappointed the publishers couldn't see, or perhaps decided not to exploit the marketing and distribution opportunities presented.

The publishers can only offer digital works if they own the digital rights, and if they own them in the territories where they want to offer them for sale.

I'd be willing to bet that the authors, not the publishers, are the ones who aren't exploiting the opportunity, because they're the ones with the rights.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the authors, not the publishers, are the ones who aren't exploiting the opportunity, because they're the ones with the rights.

This is true.

Ah well, all parties will do what is in their best interests. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.