How many pages is a 'short synopsis'?

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many agents here in the UK ask querying writers for a 'short synopsis'. How many pages would you say that would be for a 110k novel?

Cheers my dears! Trix

PS. I hate synopses. They make me physically sick.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who knows - each may have their own idea of what they mean by short.

One page (single spacing between lines) is pretty short and should satisfy the requirement but I doubt anyone would reject you for sending two pages.

Stick to the main characters and the main plot thread. Ignore all minor characters and all subplots, and don't forget to show the conclusion. Concentrate on flow and clarity and reveal the type/style of writing that is in the manuscript (that does not mean to include quotations).

The purpose of the synopsis is to show one has a structured story with a beginning, a middle and an end - and it's often used as a selling tool when the Agent approaches publishers.

Any help.

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
From what I've learned from submitting to publishers is that one page is a short synopsis and three pages is a good length for a more in-depth synopsis.

Admittedly, writing an effective, single-page synopsis is a challenge, especially trying to sum up the entire novel, character motivations, etc in one page. But it can be done.

Check out the inside book covers of novels you like. They usually provide a synopsis of the novel, which you can use as a guide.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I have written (for various agents) a one-page synopsis, a three-pager, as well as a one-paragraph and even a one-sentence.

Yes, one of the agents I queried asked me to sum up my novel in one sentence.

Reaction score
I'd say two, in the same font as the actual manuscript, though single-spaced.

And I love writing synopses. They're piss-easy. :D

LydiaNetzer

If the crockpot fits...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lydianetzer.blogspot.com
How long?

One page. That's it. If possible one paragraph.

For inspiration, look at the TV Guide summaries for movies you have seen. You'll see how an impossibly complicated plot and a delightfully diverse collection of characters can be reduced to four words. And you have 250.

Reaction score
One page. That's it. If possible one paragraph.

For inspiration, look at the TV Guide summaries for movies you have seen. You'll see how an impossibly complicated plot and a delightfully diverse collection of characters can be reduced to four words. And you have 250.
That's a blurb, not a synopsis.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say one-two pages would be safe.

As for tackling synopses, here's my strategy. I write the first draft as long as it wants to be -- maybe ten, maybe fifteen pages. Then I cut and condense until I have a five pager, double-spaced; a two pager, single-spaced; and a one-pager, single-spaced. I've also found it useful for the shorter synopses to start from my query and add the rest of the story in brief.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never need more than one page, single-spaced, but two is usually considered short enough.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Many agents here in the UK ask querying writers for a 'short synopsis'. How many pages would you say that would be for a 110k novel?

My own rule of thumb is:

Query - one page

Short synopsis - three pages, double spaced

Long synopsis - ten pages, double spaced.

1. Include entire main plotline including the ending.

2. The first time a character's name is mentioned, use all caps, eg, 'Zombie hunter MONICA LEWINSKY, 22, runs her business from her home.' (Including the age is optional.)

3. Edit, edit, edit. Polish, polish, polish. The synopsis is a sales tool and has to be take seriously.