Need a symbol for undeath

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
The ultimate villains of my fantasy series are a group of nine undead lords who lead armies of revenants.
They have waged several continent-spanning wars against the living. Their ultimate goal is to conquer to living world and then move on to the spirit world and conquer the afterlife, in order to eliminate birth and death and set up a new order of things.
In their own skewed minds they are doing a good thing, and are aided by an organization of mortals who believe in their cause.

I'm having a heck of a time coming up with symbols for them to use that somehow sums up what they are and what they do. A simple skull emblem just seems too . . . well, simple.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to indicate the whole "defeat of death" thing with a single picture?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A Mobius strip is endless, so that would be a good symbol.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about the Ouroboros - the snake eating its tail, making an eternal circle.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

The Ouroboros (or Uroborus)[1] is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. The name originates from within Greek language; οὐρά (oura) meaning "tail" and βόρος (boros) meaning "eating", thus "he who eats the tail".[2]

The Ouroboros represents the perpetual cyclic renewal of life, and infinity[citation needed] the eternal return, and represents the cycle of life, death and rebirth, leading to immortality, as in the phoenix.

It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting before any beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished[citation needed]. The ouroboros has been important in religious and mythological symbolism, but has also been frequently used in alchemical illustrations, where it symbolizes the circular nature of the alchemist's opus[citation needed]. It is also often associated with Gnosticism, and Hermeticism[citation needed].

Carl Jung interpreted the Ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche.[2] The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.[3]

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
How about a tombstone with a hand (stylized or actual) holding it like a shield?

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure - maybe a pair of dripping vampire fangs?

I am curious, though. If there are no more creatures among the living, how could these villains produce any more undead? There'd be no more raw material available.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure - maybe a pair of dripping vampire fangs?

They're not vampires. I guess they're more like super-versions of the Nazgúl.

I am curious, though. If there are no more creatures among the living, how could these villains produce any more undead? There'd be no more raw material available.
Well, they are planning on putting a stop to the whole cycle of birth-life-death and set themselves and their followers up as truly eternal beings. If they succeed they won't need any more raw material because they will be masters of the spirit world (i.e. afterlife).

Also, they're crazy.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why a bird?

They are often associated with the journey of the human soul after death. Birds also appear as tricksters and oracles. Ravens and other species that feed on carrion, the flesh of the dead, may be symbols of war, death, and misfortune, as well as mediators between humans and the supernatural world.

Read more: Birds in Mythology - Myth Encyclopedia - Greek, god, story, legend, names, ancient, animal, snake, war, norse http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Be-Ca/Birds-in-Mythology.html#ixzz1mUQ74eaK

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The immortality Institute uses something that might be useful. It looks like an eight, but i would imagine that it is a Mobus strip.

http://www.imminst.org/
Looks like that's a stylized DNA symbol. It could be referencing the infinity symbol, too. (The number 8, sometimes turned on its side.)

Wikipedia comes up with a few interesting symbols for "eternity". A Google image search comes up with a few for "undead symbol" as well. You could make something up using Celtic knotwork, if you're artsy.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
In Old English, there is the dreg - a warrior come back alive. Likely a blazing sword, spear or axe would suffice. Other ideas would be a broken harrow (hearg) or a breached burial mound. A symbol for ossuary (house of bones) might suffice. If you want to really twist Germanic mythology, have a yew or oak tree with a noose tied around itself.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why have a broken symbol of what you want to destroy? (the snake one) It's great for the revolution but not for who the uber nazgul are... In my logic at least...

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
An armoured fist clutching an ouroboros?

An ankh and crossbones?

A bat winged caduceus with a bone for the shaft?