PDA

View Full Version : Medical question

amlptj
02-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi,

I've been doing research but i cant really find what i'm looking for. So i was hoping someone might have first hand knowledge. My character wakes from a week and a half coma, how long with it take a 17 year old girl to learn how to walk normally again?

Thanks!

Buffysquirrel
02-15-2012, 03:28 PM
This depends on a lot of factors. How fit was she before the coma? What injuries does she have, if any?

areteus
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
I think this sort of thing is a 'depends'. As Buffy says above, you need to know certain factors before you decide.

However, I would also say that this is not really the place where you need worry about accuracy. There is such a lot of variation in this that no one is really going to question you on an issue of timing. They are more likely to query it if you use the wrong piece of medical equipment or describe a procedure wrong or have an auxilliary nurse without the required training prescribe drugs or describe symptoms wrong.

sheadakota
02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
as every one else said- depends- a normal, healthy. 17 yr old with no orthopidic injuries- a few day tops - BUT and this is a very big but- she was in a coma for a 10 days- she has a head injury and right there is where the depends come in- People in a coma for that long do not just open their eyes,look around and say "Hey! whassup?" how was she injured? what part of her brain was affected? All that factors in the answer- If you don't want a long detailed recovery I would decrease the amount of time you have her in that coma- maybe two- three days- then maybe a day of confusion and then a few days to get her "sea" legs". She would most likely have to go to rehab for a week or more as well. You don't just discharge someone with a head injury.

coolkayaker1
02-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm a pain and rehabilitation board certified MD. In general, for every one day stationary in bed, it takes two weeks to regain the lost strength. That's not my rule, it's sort of an old saw of medicine.

amlptj
02-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks everyone!

The story is a YA fantasy. It takes place inside her head while she is in a coma. Its kind of a long story. But what put here there was a car accident. She was lucky and only ended up smacking her head and a rather large gash in her leg, but other then bruises and bumps she was fine otherwise.

I'm glad it was brought up two weeks, because that how long I had her recovery time. Before she could really be ready to go back to school. Sound like this is fairly accurate? I dont need it to be perfect I just dont want major problems with the believe-ability of the recovery time.

jclarkdawe
02-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Having pulled people out of wrecked cars on too many occasions, ten day coma for a car wreck with only head injury is unlikely. That level of coma is either going to be an ejection or massive structural damage to the car, with the Jaws of Life and all the fun toys. And you're not going to come out of either of those unless you have significant injuries, or you're very, very, very lucky. Like multiple broken bones and/or internal injuries type problems.

I'm sure it's happened, but then again, someone just one PowerBall. But it wasn't me.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

sheadakota
02-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks everyone!

She was lucky and only ended up smacking her head and a rather large gash in her leg, but other then bruises and bumps she was fine otherwise.

I've taken care of people who have no injuries other than ahead injury who have died- there is no such thing as a minor head injury (Brain injury)

With that said- its fantasy so whatever works for your story.