Biology or Love?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
What better day than today to share this? Last year on the 24th of April... thousands of people from all across the world paid there condolences to each other and all the people involved with the Norfolk Botanical Gardens when their "live" Eagle cam lost the Mother of three eaglets to an airplane strike.

She'd been out that morning hunting for food while Daddy Eagle watched the nest... After this incident, the eaglets had to be raised in Botanical Garden...

Daddy Eagle was on his own.

Turns out he didn't fair to bad!

He's returned to old nest - with a new mate!

http://www.wvec.com/eaglecam

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I :heart: this. I'll have to check it out tomorrow in the daytime.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
:)

That cures my ick from watching a documentary on the less pleasant mating rituals of some animals (you don't want to know what some of them are... they may the worst excesses of human bad behaviour look pale...). This is the sort of thing my work frequently forces me to do...

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
On an aside, this is the males second mate. His previous mate had also been a one-time widow. It just amazes me that there are enough eagles out there that he found another so soon.

In more than one way I see this as a triumph over loss and adversity as if somehow someone is saying that there really are second (and third) chances and that all of us can find someone... if we look! ;)

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
He's clearly the pick of the eagle world then... all the female eagles want him and all the male eagles want to be him :)

This is one of the problems of competitive mating in a small population size... all the females will still compete for the one most eligible male and leave all the other males in the cold. Not the best thing for your gene pool necessarily.

One of the scenes in the video I saw had a herd animal in africa (can't remember what they were called without checking the video again, not gazelle though). The males mark out territory and the females who want to mate with them 'hang out' in that territory waiting to be 'dealt with'. In the video they showed one strong male with a territory full of females (reminded me a little of a rock star and his posse of groupies :) ) and many other males standing in their own territories looking forlorn. The attitude seemed to be 'why bother with a non-entity when you can wait in line for the stud?'

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
To paraphrase DH Lawrence:

I never saw an eagle sorry for itself.

We *can* learn from nature.