Multi-sub question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I have my MS sitting on four different pubs desks. If one offers a contract do I need to disclose to the other three the name of the pub, or just mention I've been offered a contract and ask if they'd like to counteroffer? Is that even the wordage I should use, or does it sound too pushy?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I have my MS sitting on four different pubs desks. If one offers a contract do I need to disclose to the other three the name of the pub, or just mention I've been offered a contract and ask if they'd like to counteroffer? Is that even the wordage I should use, or does it sound too pushy?

What I've seen around here is that it's polite to inform the other pubs/agents you have your pages out to that you've had an offer and then (if you're hoping for other offers), offer them a week (or whatever timeframe you want to work with) to consider your MS before you accept the first offer.

You're not obligated to name the other publisher. And you don't have to inform pubs/agents you've only queried, who haven't requested pages.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason not to tell, and many reasons to tell.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It sounds like you're talking about a novel out to four different publishers, correct? Then that's called sim subs or simultaneous submissions. Hopefully the four publishers are okay with that and you checked beforehand. And I'm assuming they're fulls. If this is the case, then you do notify the other publishers that you have an offer on the table and see if they're interested.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you're talking about a novel out to four different publishers, correct? Then that's called sim subs or simultaneous submissions. Hopefully the four publishers are okay with that and you checked beforehand. And I'm assuming they're fulls. If this is the case, then you do notify the other publishers that you have an offer on the table and see if they're interested.

Sorry for delay, I was typing from my phone earlier. Yes, I'm talking about a novel, and four different publishers. Technically, they're e-publishers.

The one I'm most interested in is the one who's asking for revisions, so I'm not sure if I'm still supposed to contact them if offered a contract (fingers crossed). I would assume if would be proper protocol...

Status
Not open for further replies.