Genre/Romance Writers: Stigma from Other Writers? (Looking for Examples)

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I'm working on a screenplay where the main character wants to write the next "Great American Novel". But everything she writes seems to fall squarely into genre territory, especially romance. So at one point she goes to a local writers' group (one of the pretentious ones that's filled with people who do more talking about writing than actual writing) and the other writers ridicule her for her writing, specifically picking on the fact that her writing is genre writing.

What might they say to her? Personally, I read and write genre fiction, so I'm coming up blank when it comes to insults. I'm sure there are others here who have run into these situations in real life, and might be willing to lend me some lines. What kinds of things do pretentious wannabe-writers say when they find out you write romance? Or sci-fi or fantasy or mysteries or whatever? Or really anything people might say at a writers' group that would be particularly discouraging to a new writer?

Thanks in advance!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
What I've seen said about Romance is it's written to a formula, and anyone can do it. Or that it's always the same story. Or...it's writing for *women*.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
It's escapist. Boy, that one. That one gets my goat.

Reaction score
Yeah, the 'written to a formula' thing is a common insult. As are comments along the lines of, "Oh, you write that Mills and Boon stuff?"

Because yes, 'Mills and Boon stuff' is the only type of romance out there. :rolleyes:

And when people write erotic romance...my oh my...you can imagine the comments you get then. "Need any help with research?" ~ "Oh, you write...sex books?" ~ "Have you done everything you've written in your books, then?"

Why, yes. Yes, I have. Because I have no imagination. I've written an autobiography and labelled it 'friction fiction'. :rolleyes:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Variations of this one always boil my piss: "Oh, I've always fancied writing one of those romances, they must be so easy to churn out."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"Oh! You write[genre]. I love those because the stories are so much simpler, I don't have to think about them."

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I was in a crit group as a romance writer and a couple of the literary writers used to always complain that my prose was so purple (believe me, it's not.) Also that I was too wordy (they'd have me cut descriptions of things like facial expressions to show emotional reaction, etc.)

One of my critters commented that my characters seemed to gossip too much for her (I used a conversation among women to convey information about the hero that the heroine wouldn't otherwise have known.)

Check out the Turkey City Lexicon for more common genre tropes/cliches. I think there's a copy of it on the SFWA website.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Sophie Kinsella's work -- nothing to do with it being chicklit. But her 'heroine' doesn't change through an entire series of books, and Kinsella often relies on coincidence as a plot device.

Other chicklit authors are highly talented. Kinsella? Not so much.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
When I was interviewing for a possible slot in an MFA program, one of the professors literally looked down their nose at me and said, "Oh, you write those kind of stories."

Needless to say, a) after doing some checking, I have more publishing credits than they do and b) I'm kinda glad I did NOT get accepted into that program.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Sophie Kinsella's work -- nothing to do with it being chicklit. But her 'heroine' doesn't change through an entire series of books, and Kinsella often relies on coincidence as a plot device.

Other chicklit authors are highly talented. Kinsella? Not so much.

Your opinion of Kinsella's work doesn't change the fact that the interview I linked to was biased against her because she writes commercial women's fiction. With all due respect, you incurable tosspot. Ha!

When I was interviewing for a possible slot in an MFA program, one of the professors literally looked down their nose at me and said, "Oh, you write those kind of stories."

Needless to say, a) after doing some checking, I have more publishing credits than they do and b) I'm kinda glad I did NOT get accepted into that program.

A couple of years ago I applied for a scholarship to do a creative writing PhD. I got down to the final five or so, but when I checked out the people who taught writing at the University concerned I realised that not one of them had been trade-published, not one of them had any sort of reputation in their chosen field apart from their teaching jobs at that university, and very few of the graduates from their MA went on to be published.

I took my application no further. I saw no point in it.

Reaction score
Your opinion of Kinsella's work doesn't change the fact that the interview I linked to was biased against her because she writes commercial women's fiction. With all due respect, you incurable tosspot. Ha!
Why I oughtta...

*shakes fist*

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
"I mean, it's disgu-dirty."

Said by my mother when we were discussing why I wrote M/m erotica. Pretty sure she was going to say disgusting.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
The male protagonist is a stereotype macho alpha-male with wide shoulders, square jaw and steady gaze.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
So you don't want to be a serious writer, then?

*strangles certain family members*

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
"Smut slut". That's been my favorite when I told someone I was writing a romance.

And make sure they whisper it. People around here always whisper when they talk about reading romances. Like it's a dirty little secret.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard people say that romance readers and writers aren't satisfied in their personal relationships.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Which is somehow worse than wishing you were a spy or a master criminal or....