Before answering the question at the end, perhaps you might consider the following:

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hamfisted – clumsy, lacks fine motor skills

Socially isolated, both by location and choice

Old – 75 – and lacking physical vitality

Lifetime spent job-hopping and learning nothing

Reasonably articulate and intelligent

Go back and read it all again.

Now, with that list firmly fixed in your mind, and given the implications of that list for the following question, what might such a person take on as a hobby?

Thank you, one and all.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Growing vegies and cooking them. And eating them.

Even if you don't have any land, you could plant up a few pots and nurture them. Seeds cost almost nothing, and you're smart enough to research everything you need - plus there are some very friendly gardening forums on the net.

And if you like, I could send you some heritage seeds, so that even if your entire crop gets eaten by birds and possums, you're still doing good and helping to save some precious stocks of plants and vegies.

Now be honest - doesn't that sound like fun?

:Sun:

(Or, if you're more mechanically minded, perhaps you could make one of these. It would amaze your friends.)

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It's bandicoots out here. I'd forgotten about heritage stuff. I could get on to Diggers or Eden again. Thanks.

Carmine

Registered
Reaction score
Crossword puzzles
Video games
Internet chat
Raising parakeets
Writing poetry
Join a church or other religious group

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
You could volunteer to assist with literary programs, helping others learn to read and write.

Carmine

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were asking about hobbies for a fictional character, not yourself. I hope my reply didn't come off as flippant.

MJK

Registered
Reaction score
If you spent a lifetime job hopping I am sure you have some experiences you would like to share. Sit down at the pc and begin putting words to paper.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Take up fishing as a hobby. Volunteer to work on head boats as a linebaiter. After a couple of years you could move up from Apprenticebaiter to Masterbaiter...

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Baking. Breadbaking, in particular. Doesn't require much finesse, kneading dough feels good and is relaxing, baking bread makes the home smell wonderful and nothing beats it for good eats.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
If you can afford to spend a bit of money on set-up, you might enjoy amateur ham radio. It's not all a game, either. The operators can--and sometimes do--offer real public service when official networks go down during a disaster.

ravenmuse

Registered
Reaction score
What about creating collages... (or scrapbooking) Regardless about how successful or not this person has been at jobs, the person would have gained a wide range of life experience and have a larger variety of photos, clippings, magazines, cards and other memorabilia than someone who has stuck to one career/life choice singlemindedly... what if the person combines the interesting blend of memories in a visual way...

Just saying...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Don't write yourself off just because of your age and "hamfistedness."

Try something you've always wanted to do, but never felt confident doing. I'm actually thinking of things like drawing or painting, or learning a musical instrument. You don't have to be good at it, you just have to enjoy doing it.

A book that helped me enjoy drawing, even though I'm still not what I would consider good, is Drawing With Children. Seriously.

Also, if you can use a ruler and a pencil, you can learn to draw mandalas. Simple and very satisfying.