How to write an 'About Me'

Ginosion

Registered
Reaction score
I've been meaning to add an About Me section to my blog but I don't know where to start. I feel really anxious and unsure what to say and what not to say about me. I'm a very average person. Not to put myself down or anything. It's just I'm not a lawyer or a teacher or even someone who went to college. The reasons why I blog is because I like it, and that's about it. Domoviye gave me some really good advice, but I still feel unsure about what and how to sum myself up in just a few paragraphs. So what did you write (give me direct examples if you want)? What was your thought process when it wrote your 'About Me'? And do you even have one? If you don't, do you think it's really necessary or do you have the same problem I do?

Deleted member 42

Well, first of all, you don't have to write it and never change it.

You can revise, and honestly, you probably should.

What do you like? What are you favorite books, or movies, or places? Do they have something in common?

This is YOUR place, your writing, and you get to pick.

And you get to change your mind.

mephet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unsheathe.wordpress.com
I have a similar problem. I've written an 'About' page, but I'm really not happy with it yet, and don't know if I should write an 'About me' page seperately, as part of the 'About' page, or whether I should write it at all.
Something interesting I've come across: Darren Rowse's tips on the subject. He has also written on 'About' pages. Despite neither of us really having any expertise, I think some of his advice is useful. Keeping it short and to the point is key.
Some questions a reader could want answers to on your 'About me' page could include: "Why do you blog?" and "Why should I care?"(Harsh, I know... The point is, what are you offering your reader? What sort of info can they take away from your blog?)
Just my two cents. Wish you luck! :)

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the shout out.

Again to find some good stuff for the About Me section, look at other blogs that have a similar niche to yours. When I was writing 'my about', I went to different sites for life coaches and shamelessly got inspiration and ideas from their 'About Me' sections.

Most people who have a blog that reviews movies and games like your's aren't teachers or huge successes either. They're just regular people. So they talk about how they really like movies, their favourite genres, their hobbies and interests related to their blogs, and maybe a little bit about their personal life.
Go check a few out and see what inspires you.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I hate writing them, but I love reading other people's. You don't have to be extraordinarily interesting to be interesting :D I do usually like to get a sense of a blogger's interests, because if my interests fit with the author's that's what makes me check out more.

ncochrane3

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you necessarily HAVE to have an About Me, but I know I really like them when reading someone else's blog, as it gives me a place to start off.

I recently saw a blog whose About Me consisted of 20 random facts about her that most people wouldn't know. I liked that!

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
For me you should think about having two About Me sections.

1. a longer one you add on your own site. Simply write some paragraphs down as to who you are, what you are doing, why you are doing it, and a general overview as to why people should take notice. (do you Blog about something you have experience about, for example)

2. A shorter bio (just a sentence or two long) that you add to things like Gravtar and if you ever do any Guest Posts. A dumbed down version of the above, again with the who, why, and what

the only other thing to have are some links to your other sites, such as Twitter, facebook etc. Don't over think it though. A lot of people read about me sections (i get quite a few hits on it and it always surprises me), but all they are going there for is to find out a little bit about you.

so to recap: Who, What, Why :)

Hope this helps

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)