• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta for YA Fantasy / Dystopia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carissa

my day, your day, lovely day
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carissa-taylor.blogspot.com
I'm looking for someone to beta my YA Fantasy/Dystopian novel. I've had a couple people look at it, and would love more input before I work on my next round of revisions. Would definitely be willing to beta-swap!

Here's a bit more about the story:

When a night of babysitting ends in two boys being kidnapped, Minna Gray feels responsible. Guilt turns to panic when she discovers no one is looking for them. The problem? With the exception of her best friend, no one else remembers the boys. It’s as if they’ve been erased.

Minna hasn’t told anyone about her visions: trees bursting into flame, houses changing color, doorframes dripping blood. Until now, the visions seemed to mean only one thing: she’s going crazy just like her grandmother. But as Minna scours the city for the missing boys, her ‘meaningless’ hallucinations begin to cross over into reality. Following up on a distressing vision that leaves her hand scorched, a midnight exploration reveals that her neighbor is involved in the kidnappings. But it’s not a simple matter of going to the police. He’s a powerful Corporation man, and there’s no telling how deep the conspiracy goes.

Minna finds an unexpected ally in a boy who knows about the disappearances. He says that many more have been taken, including his friend. He thinks there’s help in the Outlands – the infected wasteland beyond the city walls. Going there may be the only way to stop the kidnappers. But no one survives the Outlands, and Minna’s not sure she’s ready to trade life in the Emerald District for a slow suicide. She’s not even sure her ally is trustworthy. Instinctively she wants to trust him, but her visions about him are conflicting, and she’s seen him with the conspirators he claims to be working against. But soon she’ll have to decide, because she may have nowhere else to turn. Minna knows too much, and she’s next on the list to be taken.

THE AWAKENING OF MINNA GRAY is a 99,000-word YA dystopian fantasy.

I'm not needing grammar check at this point, mostly just broader opinions and particularly characterization, plot holes and where I can cut back - cause it's too dang long! I'm also wondering if it reads more YA or MG. Anyway, PM me if you're interested, and thanks in advance!!!

theresa.mcclinton

"Crossing Realms of YA Romance."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com
Hi Carissa! I'm available for Plot and character development critique, so I would be a good match for your project. I'm also looking for a beta reader for my 81K YA novel, we can swap. I need copy editing, as well as any feedback on plot and character development you would like to give. Looking for honest critique. Let me know if you are interested. Refer to signature for contact info. :)

austen

Registered
Reaction score
Carissa,
Your book sounds interesting and I'm in a similar place with my YA. I'm just about finished with a major revision after feedback from beta readers. I write YA historical fantasy and my novel will probably be around 50k. I am also looking for feedback on the plot and character and actually, as I have the opposite problem, areas where I need to flesh things out more. (I am quite good at finding things to cut. :)) I will send you a PM...let me know if you're interested.

melissam80

Registered
Reaction score
Your novel sounds very interesting! I'm a professional copy editor with some background in developmental editing and would love to be a beta reader!

Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.