Then What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda

Registered
Reaction score
(Well, first of all, if anyone is interested in my back story, it's summarized pretty well in this post: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6319867&postcount=70 )

The upshot is that I have self-published one narrative nonfiction book, No Comfort Zone, on my personal experience of living with non-combat PTSD. It's been out in print (CS and LSI) and available in the Kindle format for around a year. I expanded the number of ebook formats a few months ago using both Barnes and Noble Pubit and Smashwords.

I have good reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. I've done a giveaway on Goodreads, which brought quite a bit of attention, and am now doing one on LibraryThing, which is doing less well. I am about to do an Author Q&A on Goodreads.

The book has been a personal success in that it is having the impact I had hoped. I've had several readers who also have PTSD thank me for writing it since the book made them feel less alone and helped them explain their life experience to their loved ones. It's being used as an educational tool in classrooms and was the basis for an educational film (http://www.giftfromwithin.org/html/Making-Peace-With-Chronic-PTSD.html#14). It's been discussed in several trauma-related online groups and I have, um, followers/fans/nice-people-who-have-read-and-recommended-my-book in the US and Australia.

I think it's selling about as well as it would have through a small academic press and I've now sold enough copies to cover my expenses. I have a few online book promotions set for the next few months and a couple of speaking engagements scheduled.

But, then what?

When is a book such as mine no longer new? Is there a point at which you can no longer promote it as something fresh? When, if ever, do you just assume that it will gain or lose momentum on its own?

It's not a read for everyone, but I would like it to be visible enough that those who would find it helpful could actually find it.

I know that I could shift from promoting the book to somehow promoting myself, but I am already established in a professional field I love and am not sure I want to start from scratch as an expert in trauma. I don't have another book in me on this topic (at least not now.) I am doing some PTSD-related educational seminars, but don't see myself becoming a speaker in this field.

I've seriously considered writing a blog, but that would be more about life and society in general, than specific to PTSD. (I would link both the book and the DVD, but promoting them would not be the main purpose for blogging.)

Anyway, I still feel rather like a stranger in a strange land and would appreciate any thoughts, guidance or suggestions you could share. Thanks.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
What about writing a book in a similar field or from a different perspective? I watched a video just yesterday from an African American woman who wrote a poem from the perspective of a Skinhead. It was shocking (to say the least) to hear the Skinhead's words coming from her mouth with such conviction. It was unnerving and startling and really made me think. It was fabulous!

I'm not saying you should do that, but I am wondering if maybe thinking outside the box a bit might bring forth an idea for another book.

I haven't had books available long enough to ask the question, "Has this book run its course?" With e-books especially, I don't think the rules apply in the same way as they would to a paperback book. Someone could find the book at any time and download it, so the shelf life is unlimited. That may well be true for a self-published POD paperback, as well.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If your book has sold in good number, and has been taken seriously by organisations which know their stuff, then you have a good product.

Good non-fiction can always be promoted. Develop your press-release-writing skills and whenever there's a news story about PTSD, write a press release as quickly as you can and send it out to news papers and TV stations. They might ignore you; but they might not. And if they don't, you might well find yourself asked to join in a discussion about the subject, or be interviewed for an article, all of which will help you sell a few more copies.

And do as Merrihiatt has suggested: write another book!

Zelda

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your responses.

Interesting idea, Merrihaitt. Maybe I do have another book in me if it's in a different voice/from a different perspective. I'll have to mull that one over.

OH, thanks for your take on this situation. So much of the information available has to do with promoting fiction or how-to nonfiction that doesn't really apply here. The jump-on-opportunities-to-be-visible strategy makes sense to me. (By the way, I've considered sending my book to you for a review but, no matter how many times I've checked it, I don't trust it would pass your 15 error test! Yes, I'm a wimp.)

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.