Are readers buying your books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
How effective is your Amazon page at drawing readers in and encouraging them to buy your book?

Sadly websites like Amazon don't provide statistics for authors to gauge how effective their Amazon pages are. Are people drawn in by your cover, in love with your blurb, but turned off by your sample pages? There may be several reasons sales aren't pouring in, but how can we fix the problem if we don't know where to start. God forbid we start changing things that readers actually liked.

So I was thinking why don't we start an AW review circle for self-published authors in order to critique the various elements of their Amazon pages (not sure if this would work on B&N or Apple, but it might)?

Here's the metric I envision. Obviously 1 being bad and 10 being amazing.

NOTE: It's important that the people who participate in this little experiment approach this exercise as readers and not authors.

The Three Categories:

Cover art (1-10)
Maybe a word or two on what you think the cover image tells you about the KIND of book you're about to read.

Book Blurb (1-10)
Is it enticing enough?
This could include any review snippets the author included.

Sample pages (1-10)
Would you read more? If not why?

I think we should do one book at a time and as many people can comment as they want, then we'll do someone else's book and each of us take a look at the next. Eventually we'll all get feedback. The process won't take more than a couple of minutes and should be fun and helpful to all of us. So I guess to get the ball rolling, we can start with my novel MALICE and once the votes are in then switch to someone else's book.
Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QCC122/?tag=absowrit-20

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I see is that this critique circle is going to be done by self-pubbed authors and not the readers who pay to buy the books. I would also mention that in my humble opinion, those who would participate would hold very negative comments back for fear of getting the same.

There is already a ton of review sites readers can find online, and if authors are getting their work to these sites and paying attention, then I am not sure a closed group is going to generate any more success than what the author is already doing. After all, the book is already published and out there, mistakes and all, for the world to see...

Maybe a pre launch site would be better, to work out the bugs and share marketing strategy. Oppps, wait, we already have a ton of those groups too, and some are right her in the AW forums. Imagine that...

But that is just my humble opinion...

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
It has to be pre-launch. Otherwise, what good is it? Will you publish revision after revision in response to negative comments?

And, we already have it. SYW.

Griffin Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I guess I was looking more for those who are interested in participating. Anyone who thinks the idea may not work, need not apply.

That being said, all of us buy books, whether or not we also happen to write books.
And an exercise like this doesn't need to be pre-launch. That's the beauty of self-publishing. If you get enough feedback one way or another, at least it gives you an idea of what might not be working. If you read Konrath's blog for example, he talks about changing his blurbs and covers many times. And finally, I don't think people would feel too timid to evaluate honestly. My experiences in SYW and Query letter hell have shown exactly the opposite to be true.

Of course, if this thread is in the wrong place, then a moderator can feel free to put it where it belongs.

@Elena I'll start creating a queue for those who wish to participate. Your book is currently #2.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
MOD Note:

Since this appears to be a proposed tool by and for self-publishing, (Not a one time event or announcement) it would seem to belong here.

/Williebee

On a "non-mod" note, thothguard51 brings up good points. But for those who want to participate, best of wishes to you.

I do have a personal discomfort that may - or may not -- apply. What you are proposing is feedback on product, which is a good idea. It makes sense to test market a product, pre-release. It makes sense to do market surveys post release of a product, to make the product better. (Although, in this case, this would be a test market of other authors who might or might not have ordinarily been readers of this type or particular product, as Thothguard points out. It might be like putting a vegan, a vegetarian, a steak only eater, a white meat only eater, an omnivore and a carnivore in a room to critique each other's burgers and the accompanying packaging.)

The personal discomfort comes in for me, personally, when it leads to frequent changes to products already on the shelf. Frequent changes in the appearance of the product, at some point, begins to feel dishonest. It begs the question: Where was the line drawn? -- At the colors, the artwork, at the font of the title, the author's name, the title itself, or contents? Is it still the same story or is someone trying to deceive me and get me to buy something else from someone whose work I didn't like the last time? Worse, is it someone trying to deceive me into buying the same story again by manipulating the packaging? That kind of thing can not only hurt a brand or author's name, but can negatively impact reading as a whole.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, maybe I'll just go watch TV.

Just mho.

Griffin Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. I can assure you it isn't even approaching anything unethical to tinker with your blurb, cover image and correct typos in the sample pages even after an ebook is on the market. That's the beauty of self-publishing, you can fix problems in mid stream. The real isssue is that sometimes SP authors have a great book, but don't realize their self designed cover is a dud or their blurb is lame and their hurting sales. Fact, from what I've read most authors are given very little imput on the cover for that very reason. The marketing dept. usually feels they know what's best, and maybe they do, but a SP author working on his own doesn't have access to their feedback, only poor sales and confusion as to why copies aren't selling. That was the basis of my suggestion for a critique group. Of course, a scammer can change covers etc. in an attempt to trick customers into buying what they think is a new book, sure. But that's not what this was about.

Anyway, it was just an idea and no one's really into it, so I'm happy to drop it.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
There's a blog (not part of AW) that does this, run by a successful self-published author: booknotselling.blogspot.com

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. I can assure you it isn't even approaching anything unethical to tinker with your blurb, cover image and correct typos in the sample pages even after an ebook is on the market.

You might not consider it unethical, and it might be common practice in some quarters, but I think it's dodgy to revise a product in this way.

If I bought an earlier version of the book and then found out that because of poor sales the book had subsequently been heavily revised and improved after I'd paid my money out for it, I'd feel cheated. Used, even.

What worries me more is the idea that you'll be trading reviews with each other. As has already been suggested up-thread, there is a good chance that some of the people involved will give only positive reviews, in order to ensure they receive only positive reviews in return. The flipside to that is that people who receive negative reviews might well give negative reviews back, which can lead to all sorts of bickering. I've seen it happen, and it's not nice.

I do think you were well-intentioned in suggesting this, but I'm concerned that there are too many ways that this could go wrong. There have already been too many instances where groups like this HAVE gone wrong for me to feel that it's unlikely to happen in this case, no matter how good your intentions or your own ethics.

It's worth noting that we already have places at AW where these issues can be dealt with: your writing can be critiqued in SYW, and we have a section in self-publishing where cover designs can be discussed. By all means use those rooms to help each other out: but I don't think that a place for Amazon listings to be critiqued is going to work. Sorry.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
You might not consider it unethical, and it might be common practice in some quarters, but I think it's dodgy to revise a product in this way.

If I bought an earlier version of the book and then found out that because of poor sales the book had subsequently been heavily revised and improved after I'd paid my money out for it, I'd feel cheated. Used, even.

In a world of director's cuts, "special editions", deluxe album packages, album rereleases with bonus songs, and so on I think maybe the time has come where that would be a minority opinion. (Except among Star Wars fans! :D)

As far as fixing typos, blurbs, and new covers I think it's an area of near zero resistance. (Amazon allows you to update to the newer version at no additional charge if you want it.)

What worries me more is the idea that you'll be trading reviews with each other. As has already been suggested up-thread, there is a good chance that some of the people involved will give only positive reviews, in order to ensure they receive only positive reviews in return. The flipside to that is that people who receive negative reviews might well give negative reviews back, which can lead to all sorts of bickering. I've seen it happen, and it's not nice.

It's a horrific, horrific practice. Even rah-rah kindleboards has mostly put a stop to it through peer pressure but it still exists in hiding. I get occasional PMs there asking about review trading (ignore!) and when I check out books by these authors it's easy to see who's trading with who.

Griffin Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
J. Tanner, I couldn't agree more!

I was worried there would be some confusion with this post. I want to make two things clear.

1) I'm happy to let this idea go. I was simply floating it out there to see if people would think it was useful.

2) And more importantly, I wasn't advocating a review swap of any kind where participants plant glowing reviews for one another on Amazon and B&N etc. I'm not sure if the title of the thread or something I said gave anyone that impression, but that's not what I'm saying.

We're all customers and as such we each have out own process for finding little known books on the Kindle. Does the cover catch my eye? Is the blurb engaging enough? Are the sample pages or blurb filled with Typos? Anywhere along that chain an author will lose customers.

I believe it would make all of our lives a lot easier if Amazon provided some raw data on clicks. For example: 10,000 people clicked on your book. 50 of those clicked on your sample pages. At least from there one might infer that the cover caught their attention, but perhaps the blurb wasn't strong enough to warrant sample pages. Not a perfect science of course and prone to interpretation, sure, but I agree with some of you above, definitely better than having random people critique you.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure there's a need for something formal, and I agree with some of the posters above that you're probably better off getting this feedback prior to publishing so even minimal efforts to encourage that (like not having a "you screwed up X!" feedback-loop after publishing) are probably worth it.

It's common enough practice at kindleboards to post your cover/blurb pre-publishing for feedback if you want it and I see no reason it can't be done here as well (or in the SYW section along with a sample length excerpt if you want it away from the public.)

No need for formalities for this herd of cats. :)

(PS. I checked out your cover, blurb and a bit of the sample since it's in my wheelhouse. It's all fine. First person present isn't my favorite thing to read, but if nothing in the rest of the sample throws me for a loop I'll be buying a copy to see what happens. You've done your job here. Write next story.)

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I really detest buying a product and then finding out it was inferior to my expectation and the product was updated to fix the inferior problems, after I bought it but I am stuck with the inferior version...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This thread seems to be talking about two things: Pre-launch editorial(?) or last-minute/final-chance reviews/feedback, and post-launch review "trading."

The pre-launch idea definitely a Good Thing, especially if it's given in private (or worst case, a password-protected forum such as SYW). This lets a few more people each do a pass over the book for typos, plot holes(!) and other inconsistencies, and can only increase the quality of the final product.

The second one, which is what the OP was apparently originally asking about, smells too much like gaming the system. I can easily see pressure to give a good review, else others in the "circle" will be reluctant to give a good, or any, review of the reviewer. It's just (a bad aspect of) human nature.
The personal discomfort comes in for me, personally, when it leads to frequent changes to products already on the shelf. Frequent changes in the appearance of the product, at some point, begins to feel dishonest. It begs the question: Where was the line drawn? -- At the colors, the artwork, at the font of the title, the author's name, the title itself, or contents? Is it still the same story or is someone trying to deceive me and get me to buy something else from someone whose work I didn't like the last time? Worse, is it someone trying to deceive me into buying the same story again by manipulating the packaging? That kind of thing can not only hurt a brand or author's name, but can negatively impact reading as a whole.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, maybe I'll just go watch TV.

Just mho.
There's a lot there, and it applies to print books as well (though of course these aren't really changable between print runs). Definitely when the content gets changed, that's a Bad Thing. I've heard of at least one first-edition nonfiction book with a somewhat outlandish statement that was quietly dropped in later printings.

As for other things, books do have covers changed when they go out of print and are then reprinted and/or bought up by another publisher. I once bought two copies of a book in a used bookstore because I liked something else the author had written, but the covers were so different I assumed they were different books and didn't even notice they had the same title until I got home. That stuff happens, but I agree that if at all possible things shouldn't suddenly change shortly after an ebook is published. If a cover is found offensive or is found to violate a copyright or trademark, those would be "good reason" to change it but one should do due diligence to see that those things are checked for BEFORE releasing the book.

As for doing something in hopes of promotion (which seems do be what the OP had in mind with a review circle), I'd think blog tours would be a much better idea, both pre-release and post-release. Even there, it could look bad if the only blogs you tour on are of four other authors, each of which has toured their book on the other four blogs.

Griffin Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
@ J. Tanner

Thanks! Yes, first person present was a risk that I took, but I feel in the end it paid off. Of course, it can sometimes rub some readers the wrong way. Initially I tried third person, past and the story sounded detached and boring. Hope you enjoy it if you end up buying a copy.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The second one, which is what the OP was apparently originally asking about, smells too much like gaming the system. I can easily see pressure to give a good review, else others in the "circle" will be reluctant to give a good, or any, review of the reviewer.

I think he's clarified that he didn't mean to use the work "review" in the sense of reviewing the book contents but in the sense of "looking over" the book's store presentation (cover, blurb, sample) to see if you think they would be appealing to a reader. The opinions would not be publicly visible to shoppers--they would be shared privately with the author in an effort to learn and improve from feedback.

Last edited:

Griffin Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
It's an honest mistake, especially when people see the words 'review' and 'circle' next to one another. Thanks for the clarification! I should probably change the title of this thread...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So I was thinking why don't we start an AW review circle for self-published authors in order to critique the various elements of their Amazon pages (not sure if this would work on B&N or Apple, but it might)?

Griffin, it's already been pointed out to you that you're reinventing the wheel here.

The Three Categories:

Cover art (1-10)
Maybe a word or two on what you think the cover image tells you about the KIND of book you're about to read.

AW has already set up a whole room for self-published writers to discuss their cover art, which you'll find here.

Book Blurb (1-10)
Is it enticing enough?
This could include any review snippets the author included.

Sample pages (1-10)
Would you read more? If not why?http://www.amazon.com/Malice-ebook/dp/B005QCC122

We have an established and successful section for critique already, in the Writing Lab (known as Share Your Work or SYW). There's space for every genre there, and many of our members already make good use of it. I'm pretty sure that it's already used to critique back cover copy, but if it isn't I see no reason why you can't ask for help with your blurbs there.

I'm not sure that a single thread can do what you want this one to do, nor am I sure that there's a need for this thread when people are already doing these things elsewhere in AW, with great results. And I don't think your new title for this thread works well--it still doesn't describe what you hope this thread will achieve.

Griffin Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I know, there's a disconnect in the works here. So let me clarify once again. As I mentioned several times previously, I think most of you are right that there are better ways of going about the idea I suggested. I also mentioned that I no longer have any intention of trying to make this idea fly. My problem was that some posters who joined our discussion thought I was trying to start up some kind of review swapping service (which I wasn't), so short of tearing down the whole thread (my posts at least), I opted to remove those two pesky words from the title that seemed to be causing all the confusion. Ie: Review+Circle.
Now they're gone.
Hopefully there's no more confusion. I'm not trying to argue for my initial idea of critiquing fellow author's Amazon pages. I just don't want someone stumbling in here thinking, "Griffin Hayes was trying to start a review swapping service, holy cow!" :)
Apologies to any dead horses I just beat.

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
There's a blog (not part of AW) that does this, run by a successful self-published author: booknotselling.blogspot.com

Thanks for posting. This blog is a terrific find. After perusing some of the selections I have to say what's making these books fall down is THE WRITING, THE WRITING, THE WRITING, and nothing but THE WRITING.

Sure some of the covers are a little weak, but mostly the writing is klutzy, lacks flow and vital sensory detail. Very educational. I'm glad you shared it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the writing is what lets down most of the self-published books I review (see the link in my signature). Not the cover design, although it's often abysmal; the writing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've split the conversation about back cover copy and blurbs out into its own thread, so that this one can continue on-topic if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.