Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
This...
midget4RS-1-1.jpg

...is Midget.

She looks sweet, innocent, and unassuming, but behind those little bug eyes is a brain that exists solely to drive me mad.

Every night, at least two or three times at random intervals, she leaps out of her bed (or off my bed, depending on where she's decided to sleep) and thunders through the house like a miniature herd of elephants. For something so small, she can make a lot of noise.

And speaking of the noise she makes, it's not the running through the house that drives me crazy. It's when she stops. Usually someplace downstairs, sometimes out in the hall, she'll stop.

And.

She.

HOWLS.

Like, you would swear someone is chainsawing her legs off or chewing on her spleen. The sounds that come out of this animal are unreal. Then one of us will call her, she'll come tearing back upstairs, get back in bed, and go to sleep.

We joke that she gets lost and freaks out, but who knows? It's not because of the new house, because she did this in our apartment on Okinawa (how she managed to do so without crashing through a wall is beyond me -- that apartment was the size of a postage stamp) and our house in Virginia. She has food and water. The other cat isn't disturbed or upset. It's not an earthquake (she's actually even MORE batshit when there's an earthquake coming, but those were a little more common in Japan than Nebraska anyway). We really have no idea why she does it.

Anyone else have a cat that does this? Any possible solutions besides stuffing a sock in her mouth and making her sleep in the garage? (No, I wouldn't do that...it's just really tempting sometimes at 3 in the morning)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I personally am of the opinion that all
Cats are possessed. They can make people's eyes itch at will. One made my dad stop breathing, even!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I had read a LONG time ago (can't even recall where I read it) to keep your cat awake more during the day so she'll be sleepier at night. As I said that was a long time ago and techniques for animal behavior may have changed.

Or you could get a second cat so they can race each other and you can listen to a duet.

(Disclaimer: I haven't had a cat in decades. Alas.)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I had read a LONG time ago (can't even recall where I read it) to keep your cat awake more during the day so she'll be sleepier at night. As I said that was a long time ago and techniques for animal behavior may have changed.

We've tried that. We try to play with her before bed until she collapses. Doesn't work. >.<

Or you could get a second cat so they can race each other and you can listen to a duet.

Our second cat just looks at her like she's nuts. lol (Base housing won't let us have a third cat, so unless The Slug starts romping around with her, we're limited to one insane cat hehehe)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I personally am of the opinion that all
Cats are possessed. They can make people's eyes itch at will. One made my dad stop breathing, even!

I resent that.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cats are famous for "zooming". Mine will sometimes go from one end to the house to the other and back again, and over anything that gets in her way (for example, me).

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Cats are famous for "zooming". Mine will sometimes go from one end to the house to the other and back again, and over anything that gets in her way (for example, me).

Yeah no kidding. It's not the zooming that bothers me -- Midget's hilarious in racecar mode -- it's the screaming when she stops. Seriously, you would think she was being disemboweled with a stapler.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am just guessing here but it sounds sexual to me. :D

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she's screaming frustration that her humans laze in bed ... all night long. (She's a cute thing.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she heard Stephen Tyler singing the National Anthem and now she's having nightmares.

Just a thought.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It could be big house excitement, or new house anxiety. Either way I would suggest trying keeping her shut in the bedroom at night. She'll either feel more secure and settle down... or kill you in your sleep.

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
She's a beautiful cat. I would suggest you seek a vet's opinion. My mother's cat has always been vocal, but as she aged, she began howling. Mom took her to the family vet and he insisted it was behavioral, but it got so bad my mother was thinking about putting her to sleep. So, I took her to another vet.

This vet discovered she had some crystallization in her kidneys and that it was causing her sharp, sudden pain. It was not constant, but when it happened, she'd howl and run and flip and act possessed. Turns out, she needed medication to break up the crystals. The howling stopped after that. I'm not sure if this is what it happening to your baby, but if it's as simple as a solution as my mother's cat was, I know you wouldn't want her to be in pain.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
My boy does something very similar. He'll get up several times at night, usually around midnight, three am and five am and annoy me. He runs around the room, jumps on things but mostly, and sometimes I want to kill him for it, he pushes stuff off the tables. I keep waking up to stuff crashing to the ground! Or on my head, actually. Then he acts like he didn't do anything but the moment I close my eyes something else ends up on the floor...

Evil! Evil I tell you! At least he doesn't howl, though. Also, he stole my new pillow...

So you're not the only one with a demon cat. Don't know if it makes you feel any better but there it is. Oh and, to increase your schadenfreude (aren't I nice?), I live in a studio flat so I can't even kick the beast out of the room >__<

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
She's a beautiful cat.

Thanks!

This vet discovered she had some crystallization in her kidneys and that it was causing her sharp, sudden pain. It was not constant, but when it happened, she'd howl and run and flip and act possessed. Turns out, she needed medication to break up the crystals. The howling stopped after that. I'm not sure if this is what it happening to your baby, but if it's as simple as a solution as my mother's cat was, I know you wouldn't want her to be in pain.

Hmm, the vet didn't know what to think, but I'll try another one. Thanks for the tip!

I don't know if she's in any kind of pain. I mean, it's zero to howling in seconds, and when I call her, she runs back up to the bedroom, jumps into bed with me, and purrs like nothing happened. So...I don't know. Still worth checking out, though.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and thunders through the house like a miniature herd of elephants. For something so small, she can make a lot of noise.
Ha. We always used "herd of baby elephants" to describe the clumsy late night running about of my previous cat, Abby.

We now have two kittens who also do the herd of baby elephants routine. Someone forgot to tell them the meaning of the word stealthy.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems clear to me that you have been dragging some supernatural entity from continent to continent with you and your cat is simply trying to alert you to its presence.

Or perhaps I just have an overactive imagination.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
It seems clear to me that you have been dragging some supernatural entity from continent to continent with you and your cat is simply trying to alert you to its presence.

Or perhaps I just have an overactive imagination.

Unless the cat IS the supernatural entity...

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Has she been fixed yet?

Our Molly did this from about when she turned 9 months to when we had her fixed. All kitties thunder. It's that unexplained "I have to be in the other room NOW" thing that they do.

But unfixed girl kitties are letting you know they're ready for some hot male kitty McLovin, and the only way to stop is to give her the stitches. As soon as Molly had her girly parts sewn up, she turned into a lazy sleeping lump. Much more agreeable to have around at 3 in the morning.

Good luck!