PDA

View Full Version : Cogwheel Press / Shift House Media

wrombola
02-13-2012, 02:17 AM
http://www.cogwheelpress.net/submissions.php

Anyone heard of them? They contacted me, saying that they saw my novel on Authonomy, and asked me to submit my first three chapters and a synopsis.

wrombola
02-13-2012, 02:27 AM
The Senior editor, Desiree Finkbeiner, is also on Authonomy with a book. They haven't published anything, and clame to want to publish six titles in 2013.

Momento Mori
02-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Why don't you suggest that Desiree publishes her book first, then check back with them in 2 years to see what the sales are like.

MM

veinglory
02-13-2012, 02:41 AM
A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".

Aggy B.
02-13-2012, 02:44 AM
A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".

Hah. I saw that too. :Wha:

Mac H.
02-13-2012, 02:55 AM
A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".This is why it is so hard to tell the difference between a satire of bigotry and actual bigotry.

If I'd seen that line anywhere else I would have thought it was a satire.

Maybe it still is? I'm hoping!

Mac

Giant Baby
02-13-2012, 03:14 AM
How discriminating of them. Oh, wait...

aliceshortcake
02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
They don't like 'eurocentric faeries' either, so I won't bother submitting my m/m romance set in Cornwall's gay elf community.

amergina
02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
They don't like 'eurocentric faeries' either, so I won't bother submitting my m/m romance set in Cornwall's gay elf community.

...I'd read that.

LillyPu
02-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Holy Molé!

Reading their submission guidelines makes me feel like I've just been scolded, shouted at. Maybe they think sounding like a punishing nun gives them legitimacy? Separate the wheat from the chaff? And as if being 'yelled at'isn't enough, I find that either their mama didn't raise them right, or they're towing the 'busy agents' line:

If we are interested in your work we will request the full manuscript within 21 days. Submissions not responded to within this period should be considered a rejection.
That's just plain bad manners. Not even the courtesy of a quick "Thank you, but no." And to think the masterminds are rejected 'authors' themselves? How quickly they forget...

Our small staff is dedicated to giving our carefully-selected authors a boost in their writing careers. We do this by providing a professional editorial revision of completed manuscripts, offering topnotch book cover design and branding, assisting with promotion and marketing, and treating our people like family.
We can't choose our family, but we can sure choose to avoid 'family' like this 'publisher'.

Beware of 'editors' soliciting from display sites!!! They've got nothing to offer anyone. And this particular 'press' leaves a huge distaste in my mouth. Blech :(

cog 1
n.
1. One of a series of teeth, as on the rim of a wheel or gear, whose engagement transmits successive motive force to a corresponding wheel or gear.
2. A cogwheel.
3. A subordinate member of an organization who performs necessary but usually minor or routine functions.

cog 2
v. cogged, cog·ging, cogs
v.tr.
To load or manipulate (dice) fraudulently.
v.intr.
To cheat, especially at dice.
n.
An instance of cheating; a swindle.

priceless1
02-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Why don't you suggest that Desiree publishes her book first, then check back with them in 2 years to see what the sales are like.

MM
This. Going with a new company can be dicey because they lack a track record, and the editor doesn't appear to have a background in publishing. This means you don't know how good they are at editing, producing, marketing, and promoting books.

veinglory
02-13-2012, 11:48 PM
For example indulging on promotional landmines like (http://www.eroticromancepublishers.com/2012/02/promoting-violence-against-men-is.html): "I dated girls in college but CHOSE to go become heterosexual when I found God."

thebloodfiend
02-14-2012, 03:48 AM
From their about page:
Best of all, we stay in close contact with our people (unlike most larger publishing houses which tend to have very impersonal relationships with their writers). Team work is paramount to our authors’ success, and we know what it takes to be team players.Why do some small presses think they have to tell lies about the big 6 in order to get submissions?

aliceshortcake
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
The offensive wording has now been removed. Not that it makes much difference now that Stephani has outed herself as a classic 'some of my best friends are gay' homophobic twerp who'll automatically turn down gay-themed material.

This is one family I don't want to be a part of.

James D. Macdonald
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
(unlike most larger publishing houses which tend to have very impersonal relationships with their writers)

And she knows this ... how?

veinglory
02-14-2012, 07:23 PM
The offensive wording has now been removed. Not that it makes much difference now that Stephani has outed herself as a classic 'some of my best friends are gay' homophobic twerp who'll automatically turn down gay-themed material.

This is one family I don't want to be a part of.

Apparently missing the point that not wanting gay stuff is not really the issue, listing it between satan and child abuse is.

CaoPaux
03-21-2016, 02:54 AM
In 9/15, became part of Desiree's new co-venture, Shift House Media: http://www.shifthousemedia.com/

ETA: which did not survive '16.