Christian-Driven Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Christian-Driven/Inspired Fantasy

What do you think about Christian-driven fantasy? Writing a fantasy story that is not "Christian" yet Christianity is the key motivational factor. Taking aspects of Christianity and turning it into a story whether it's historical aspects of the Bible or aspects about the human condition in relation to God, etc...

For example, Lord of the Rings is pure fantasy but the author drew upon his Christian faith for a lot of inspiration.

silentpoet

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen Lawhead did it pretty good in his series based on the King Arthur legends. He did another more original series which did not seem as good to me. It was ok, but not as good as the King Arthur book I read.

There is one book I read, I think something like The Island and the Ring written by a woman whose name escapes me right now that did a pretty good job of combining some elements of our faith and fanatasy.

There was one Sci-Fi book I read titled Cestus Dei(pardon any misspellings) that was very heavy on faith and totally enjoyable. It was very odd, but good.

I would like to think that my work is based in my faith, but my faith is weak so maybe I should say it is based on an ideal faith I don't currently have within me. What is important in fiction is a strong point of view, voice, or message. And faith can bring that.

Status
Not open for further replies.