Dental Hygientists

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who's a hygientist, and I was wondering:

Why do hygienists talk to you about things unrelated to oral hygiene when they're cleaning your teeth? And do most people like this? Is talking about something else supposed to put you at ease in a situation that most people dislike?

See, I hate small-talk (I guess this is one of these introvert-extravert things) but also, it's very hard to answer questions when your teeth are being cleaned. Just always wondered...

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think that it depends on the hygenist and the custimer. My dental hygienist usually gabs about teeth. I would expect that some just run off at the mouth about anything.

Hygienists and dentists love the fact that their customers can't answer, eo they say whatever they feel like, and they know that there will be no disagreement, unless you decide to bite too early.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Not a hygienist but do work with patients.
On my 15th patient for the day, "So what would you normally be up to on a (insert day of the week here)?" does get a bit repetitive. But I keep asking it.
Sometimes I'll get an interesting response, but more importantly I get a patient who is thinking about something other than the fact that they're about to be stuck with a needle. They're more likely to keep still, I'm more likely to find the vein, and everyone goes away happy.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a bit off topic, but...

My wife and I (the patients) had a dental hygienist for a number of years who was charmingly engaging, loved to talk during cleanings, and was rather deft at asking questions that could be answered with a series of affirmative/negative grunts and moans. Trust me; it worked.

She was such a bubbly personality and so naturally entertaining that time spent in the chair seemed to zip by. She so impressed us with her vivacious and uninhibited approach to life that we used her for inspiration - she morphed into a character in our WIP, the best friend and mischievous foil of our more reserved FMC.

Man-oh-man, did that ever work!

We'll be forever grateful to our favorite dental hygienist!

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
They must be talking to themselves, staving off the boredom. I hate when they do that because I can't answer.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're trying to fill the silence. They're performing a somewhat intimate, mildly invasive task, poking around in your mouth, inches from your face, for several minutes. To do it in dead silence probably feels a little strange.
Maybe not for the patient, who's only there for a few minutes, and most likely a little stressed anyway (am I okay, will I need work done?) but it's that hygenist's whole day.
Although it is annoying when you want to answer, and can't speak around the equipment in your mouth.