Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This is subtle. :)

Legends are famous stories that may be based on real characters and events, but who can say for sure whether Achilles really slew Hector? So the legends may not be true. But the legends themselves exist, so they are real. :)

Real and true would seem to compliment each other but the way you're writing "It is real what he said" sounds slightly odd, as if it's said by a non native English speaker. "It's true what he said" or "What he said is true" or similar variants sound okay. Ditto for "What he said, it is real." (dramatic corny dialogue in a horror story, maybe) although again it has that non native English vibe, to me.

-Derek

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
which is the correct one?

Legends are real?
or
Legends are true?

Both are correct, but they mean different things. Legends actually exist, so they are real. Legends may not be factually accurate, so they may not be true.

It is true what he said.
against
It is real what he said.
If what he said is factual, then it is true. One would not usually say "It is real what he said." in English, because if he said it, then it is real. One might say that for emphasis.

would you say real means true?
"real" and "true" are not synonymous. They are involved in the same sort of thing, but "true' is usually related to expressions, speech and writing, while "real" is usually related to existence. There are places where they can be interchanged, but in most uses only one of those words will fit.

Last edited:

lwallace

Writing Is a Habit of Mind
Registered
Reaction score
Catian - true or real

If what he said is factual, then it is true. One would not usually say "It is real what he said." in English, because if he said it, then it is real. One might say that for emphasis.

Both dpaterso and Snick have definitively nailed the "legend" true vs. real, and the answer concerning "Is it [true/real] what he said?" is about as thorough as one could hope for. "Is it real what he said?" just smacks of informal, slang speech. A character might speak that way, but it wouldn't be said or written in formal English.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No. These words are not synonyms. To me, "real" makes reference to factual reality. "True" is more judgmental. We still pay attention to ancient Greek mythology because the stories carry a lot of "truth". Nobody believes they are "factual reality". There was never a person named Narcissus who fell so in love with his reflection that he starved to death, but the story cautions so vividly and truthfully against self-absorbed egotism that the condition has been given the name "narcissism". There never was a factual boy named Icarus who glued feathers to his wings with wax, and flew so high that the sun melted the wax and he fell to death, but the warning against the danger of overwhelming pride is clear and true.

caw

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is subtle. :)

Legends are famous stories that may be based on real characters and events, but who can say for sure whether Achilles really slew Hector? So the legends may not be true. But the legends themselves exist, so they are real. :)

Real and true would seem to compliment each other but the way you're writing "It is real what he said" sounds slightly odd, as if it's said by a non native English speaker. "It's true what he said" or "What he said is true" or similar variants sound okay. Ditto for "What he said, it is real." (dramatic corny dialogue in a horror story, maybe) although again it has that non native English vibe, to me.

Subtle but super, in my opinion. You can remove "not really that."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Legends are obviously real, just like airplanes are real, dogs are real, and the moon is real. This does not mean legends are true.

catian

Registered
Reaction score
No. These words are not synonyms. To me, "real" makes reference to factual reality. "True" is more judgmental. We still pay attention to ancient Greek mythology because the stories carry a lot of "truth". Nobody believes they are "factual reality". There was never a person named Narcissus who fell so in love with his reflection that he starved to death, but the story cautions so vividly and truthfully against self-absorbed egotism that the condition has been given the name "narcissism". There never was a factual boy named Icarus who glued feathers to his wings with wax, and flew so high that the sun melted the wax and he fell to death, but the warning against the danger of overwhelming pride is clear and true.

caw
Thank for such detailed explanation.
:)

catian

Registered
Reaction score
Legends are obviously real, just like airplanes are real, dogs are real, and the moon is real. This does not mean legends are true.
I see now the difference.
You mean they are real because they are written down and we can all see them and read them.
They are not true because they are just tales and no to be taken literally.
I hope I got this right:)

lwallace

Writing Is a Habit of Mind
Registered
Reaction score
or Vice Versa

Well, you're welcome. Your being real seems true to me. Or is it, your being true seems real?
icon12.gif

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
In one sense, real is to imaginary as true is to false. But real can also mean true or genuine, as in 'the real story of...'.

So, a legend can be either true or false. It can be real or imaginary. It can also be real or false.

QuantumIguana

Registered
Reaction score
You might say "Bigfoot is real," meaning that Bigfoot actually exists. You wouldn't say "Bigfoot is true," only propositions can be true. You could say "It is true that Bigfoot exists," which says that the proposition "Bigfoot exists" is a true proposition.

Similarly, you could say "What he just said is true," which says that the referenced statement is a true proposition.

*I don't actually believe Bigfoot exists...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I see now the difference.
You mean they are real because they are written down and we can all see them and read them.
They are not true because they are just tales and no to be taken literally.
I hope I got this right:)

Yes, but remember that a great many legends contain a very large grain of truth. They may even be completely true, but are legends because there is no evidence to be sure.

But even with the wildest myth or legend, a grain of truth is usually present.

A fable, on the other hand, is most often a fabricated tale wherein the events never happened, but represent a solid truth that comes out in the moral.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
We're getting into the difference between "true" and "containing truth." A story can be completely fabricated and contain deep, important (or, I guess, shallow, unimportant) truths, nonetheless.

But when you say, "Is it true?" you mean, "Is it factual?"

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com

-Derek

x2. I agree with this %100.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
We're getting into the difference between "true" and "containing truth." A story can be completely fabricated and contain deep, important (or, I guess, shallow, unimportant) truths, nonetheless.

I think it's worse than that. I think it's getting into the realms of what's meant by 'true'.

As QuantumIguana said, only propositions can be true or false. But a legend is a series of propositions (premises) that form a grander proposition. The question of whether the grander proposition is true or false depends on how you regard the premises. That's been enough to keep an army of philosophers employed almost since time began. The two main branches of theory are coherence (whether it fits in) and correspondence (whether it is factual). So, an overall legend can be deemed true by some even if it contains factual inaccuracies. Since legends are mostly based on hearsay, then a judgement has to be made on whether the premises are true. Hence, legends are either believed or disbelieved. This belief is in fact a psychological state of mind that the overall proposition (legend) is either true or false.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

It reminds me of the time when I tried writing the difference between fiction and non-fiction. I finally got down to it being an opinion of the author.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I think it's worse than that. I think it's getting into the realms of what's meant by 'true'.

As QuantumIguana said, only propositions can be true or false. But a legend is a series of propositions (premises) that form a grander proposition. The question of whether the grander proposition is true or false depends on how you regard the premises. That's been enough to keep an army of philosophers employed almost since time began. The two main branches of theory are coherence (whether it fits in) and correspondence (whether it is factual). So, an overall legend can be deemed true by some even if it contains factual inaccuracies. Since legends are mostly based on hearsay, then a judgement has to be made on whether the premises are true. Hence, legends are either believed or disbelieved. This belief is in fact a psychological state of mind that the overall proposition (legend) is either true or false.

Yes, but in general speech, don't people mean, "Is it factual"?

Is it true that Benjamin Franklin flew a kite with a key on it? Yes. Is it true that young George Washington chopped down a cherry tree? No.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but in general speech, don't people mean, "Is it factual"?

Is it true that Benjamin Franklin flew a kite with a key on it? Yes. Is it true that young George Washington chopped down a cherry tree? No.

These are simple propositions that either happened or they didn't. A more common question might be something like: 'Is the story of George Washington's honesty true?'
To answer that, you'd have to consider more just the cherry tree he didn't chop down (I though he really had - you've disillusioned me;)). So you'd have to judge a number of statements (stories) about him. In the end you reach a conclusion. What that conclusion is will depend on the emphasis you place on the individual elements. Likewise with legends.

Think about it enough and you'll probably end up going mad!

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Well, I'm not thinking about Truth, but about the general use of the word "true," but I can't resist pointing out that the cherry tree story wasn't written to show George's honesty, but to show how to be a good father. "You, too, can rear a son like George Washington!"

Hmm, wonder what his father was really like?

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not thinking about Truth, but about the general use of the word "true," but I can't resist pointing out that the cherry tree story wasn't written to show George's honesty, but to show how to be a good father...
And I can't resist asking: 'Is that true?';)

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Then there's is "true" meaning "straight", as in: Is the arrow true?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think of 'true' in an archery context as referring to the accuracy of the flight of an arrow towards its target as opposed to meaning the arrow itself is straight.

Then there's is "true" meaning "straight", as in: Is the arrow true?