PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth writing greeting card and slogans?

boganmobile
02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi,

Is it really worth writing greeting cards and slogans?

At around $50 a pop for those that get accepted - wouldn't your hourly rate be very very low? And uncertain?

Susie
02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey, boganmobile! :welcome: to the cooler 'n gc forum. Well, it's not always $50 a pop for a sale to a gc company. Sometimes as in Blue Mtn Arts it's $300 and up if you have more than one acceptance with them. Andrew McMeal pays $200. It's not really done on an hourly rate, unless maybe if you have a job with them. I bet everyone here in the forum feels it's worth it and when we sell a card and share it here, it's the best feeling in the world. Good luck!

Cabria
02-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Suse is right. Just don't quit your day job. ;)

jollyjeff
02-15-2012, 12:33 AM
I haven't gotten rich writing greeting cards but I've made more money with greeting cards than any other kind of writing. Plus it's a heck of a lot of fun.
Jeff

rhymegirl
02-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, too.

However, I am a greeting cardaholic and I just can't stop!!!

Cabria
02-15-2012, 07:33 AM
We are a special breed indeed. ;)

Susie
02-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Yeah, everyone here knows how many times I said I would stop, but can't, because that one acceptance is so worth the excitement and the joy of getting paid. It gets in our blood and like Kathy said, we're all cardaholics. :)

brad_b
02-19-2012, 10:50 AM
The world just wouldn't be the same without greeting cards. :Thumbs:

Susie
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
brad, so nice to 'c' yah here. It's true what you said!

Jamesaritchie
02-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Like any other form of writing, it depends on how fast and how good you are.

AKMARK5000
03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey, boganmobile! :welcome: to the cooler 'n gc forum. Well, it's not always $50 a pop for a sale to a gc company. Sometimes as in Blue Mtn Arts it's $300 and up if you have more than one acceptance with them. Andrew McMeal pays $200. It's not really done on an hourly rate, unless maybe if you have a job with them. I bet everyone here in the forum feels it's worth it and when we sell a card and share it here, it's the best feeling in the world. Good luck!
I've heard of Blue Mountain Arts and recently submitted to them, but I am curious about "Andrew McMeal." I googled it and I think I found the right place, but maybe not. I could not find any submit or query request info... can you point me in the correct link area?

Lavern08
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
The world just wouldn't be the same without greeting cards. :Thumbs:

I agree...

...I still send them to family and friends, and they look forward to chuckling at my great finds. ;)

peg
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
AK, here's the link: http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/cards/index.html

You need to email and request their greeting card verse guidelines. The editor's name is Charlie Colborne, and he is an editor in a million. Everyone here loves him! Here's the address: CColborne@amuniversal.com

You don't have to provide a lot of details; just that you'd like to submit humor and request the guidelines.