PDA

View Full Version : Querying Agents in the same Agency

Mary K. Norris
02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I had a question about querying agents in the same agency. If you've been rejected by an agent are you then free to query another in the same agency if they too represent your genre? I know there are some agencies and agents that send stuff on to their co-workers if they think it'll suit them better but if the website doesn't specifically say that then what is the protocol?

Hope that all made sense. :)

Aubie
02-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Mary,

I'm no expert, so someone else my say I'm wrong, but I think if it's not explicitly stated on the agency web it's okay. If they don't want you to do it, they'll probably tell you.

Drachen Jager
02-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Yeah, pretty much that. I've had one time where I queried three or four agents at an agency and the last one told me not to query anyone at the agency with the work anymore. But she didn't seem too upset about it.

Most larger agencies will share your manuscript if they think it's something another agent will appreciate. Some agencies have readers who pass manuscripts on to the most appropriate agent (those are mostly the ones who ask you not to query the agency multiple times).

Look at it this way. One of three things happens when you query a multi-agent agency.

1) They like it and want to rep you. (no problem!)

2) They sort of like it, but think it might suit someone else better, or they bring it up at a meeting (which they often do at some agencies). That agent looks at it and eventually rejects it. (slight problem if that 2nd agent sees your query again, but they're not likely to hold it against you, since it was fairly good they don't want to turn you off in case you write something better in the future they DO want to rep)

3) They reject it. (No problem, nobody past the first agent sees it, so they don't know if it's a repeat)

Mary K. Norris
02-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks Aubie! I hate not knowing because you never know if your perfect agent is at an agency that you already queried and you just didn't know it!

Mary K. Norris
02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks Drachen!

BethS
02-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I had a question about querying agents in the same agency. If you've been rejected by an agent are you then free to query another in the same agency if they too represent your genre? I know there are some agencies and agents that send stuff on to their co-workers if they think it'll suit them better but if the website doesn't specifically say that then what is the protocol?

Hope that all made sense. :)

With most agencies, a rejection from one agent is considered a rejection from the agency as a whole.

If in doubt, inquire whether it's permissable at that particular agency.

MttStrn
02-12-2012, 08:28 AM
With most agencies, a rejection from one agent is considered a rejection from the agency as a whole.

If in doubt, inquire whether it's permissable at that particular agency.

I have to respectfully disagree. I side with the posters who say that unless it is specifically stated that a one from one is a one from all, or if the queries go to a generic queries email for the agency, that it is okay to query other agents after a rejection or a sufficient amount of time has passed.

OohLaLaura
02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
If the agency's website doesn't state a preference one way or the other, is there a standard you should assume?
That it's all right to query other agents if NOT stated specifically?
Or the other way around?