Need a reason for a helicopter crash

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
I need a reason for a helicopter to go down (passengers walk away with minor injuries, but bad enough that they can't make repairs and fly back out.)

It's winter time/cold in fairly rough terrain. I need this to be something that is not the fault of either the pilot or the aircraft. (in other words, not pilot error or maintenance related.) I'm wondering if contaminated fuel might work? Either with water or something else? I do need them to get far enough from the airport that they're in an isolated area, so it can't be something that shows up immediately.

Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Certainly in the cold if the fuel is contaminated with some water it can cause the fuel line to freeze, causing a gradual drop in power. That would be a relatively easy crash-landing for an experienced pilot.

Bad weather could also force them down, but unless it's a surprise storm they really should have been aware of the risk before setting out.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hallen is my chopper go-to guy. I hope he's flying nearby and lands to lend an always helpful hand.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I knew someone here could give me some answers! Yes, the pilot is very good, and isn't about to fly into bad weather, however there is an important reason for making the trip, so she'd be willing to stretch it a bit more than she would for a sightseeing run or the like. So while I'm willing to let weather be a contributing factor, I don't want it to be the main issue. The chopper is also well maintained, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Related question - this is set in the 1980's. At that point, would it be reasonable that they could be in a place surrounded by mountains where they would be unable to get a mayday signal out?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how isolated it is. A helicopter could fly far enough to be out of radio range of the airport, especially with mountain interference. They would have likely left a flight-plan at the airport though, I don't know if that's significant or not.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
I can finagle them slightly off the flight plan (either the weather or avoiding mountains as they are losing power) - they'll eventually be found, I just need them stuck in the weather for a day or two. (Long enough for them to get cold and wet - and for some sparks to fly...)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
A brownout. When flying very low, the rotor causes a downwash of terrain particle up in the air. Happens often over soft-particle landing sites - like in the desert - as the engine loses power when it sucks them in.

Could be in your case that the pilot thought about landing on a snow-covered flat but didn't know about the sand-like nature of the soil underneath it. A dense cloud formed and the engine cut off, sending it fifteen feet down in a free fall. Survivable for occupants fastened to their seats, but enough for a rotor blade to shatter on impact.

-cb

cornetto

Registered
Reaction score
Bad weather can sneak up you faster than you think. A couple of years ago, the town where I work got invaded by a group of National Guardsmen in Black Hawks (5 helicopters and 43 guys). It was an unusual event. Well, the landing was unusual; rapid weather changes are pretty typical.

From the local paper:

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2009/10/06/community/doc4acaccb00489a500704681.txt

The Yankton landing marked the end of a challenging day in the skies for the North Dakotans. As night approached, the unit chose to land after an 8-hour flight

The trip was complicated by the fact that the rainy, cloudy, windy weather was not forecast prior to takeoff, Larsen said."We took off this morning from Bismarck, around 10 a.m. The forecast said we could do everything we intended to do," he said.

"Unfortunately, we ran into a low ceiling and low visibility. A half-hour out of Bismarck, the forecast said that things would get better in this particular area (up ahead), then this particular area.

"But the weather has been bad everywhere we turned. By now, we should be in Stillwater, Okla."The crew members wanted to push ahead on the mission, meeting the timeline for arriving at Fort Sill. But they also realized the safety hazards produced by the rainy weather and falling temperatures.

"We could have picked up icing," Larsen said. "We were restricted and couldn’t go into the clouds."The helicopter unit turned to its Global Positioning System (GPS) to determine possible landing sites. The decision was made to land at Yankton.

Last edited:

J.W. Franklin

Registered
Reaction score
A realistic scenario could be a bird strike. A bird ingested into the engine would cause an engine failure, forcing the pilot to make an emergency landing. The technique is called "autorotation," and it's something helicopter pilots practice.

The pilot has few options about where to land in an autorotation. It's a steep descent with a flair at the end. They could walk away if they were lucky enough to be flying over an area clear of trees and fairly level.

Hope that helps.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Almost every helicopter or light plane crash I can recall reading about in the news involved failing visibility and colliding with tree branches or cables.

-Derek

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I'd say bad weather - sudden, unexpected bad weather - is a good bet. When we have a crash around here (very, very rare) that's usually the cause. A sudden cold squall, or a downdraft, shift in wind direction, etc.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the pilot is very good, and isn't about to fly into bad weather, however there is an important reason for making the trip, so she'd be willing to stretch it a bit more than she would for a sightseeing run or the like.
Then she isn't a good pilot. A "good" pilot won't knowingly push it beyond her limits or those of the aircraft because of some "important reason." Other than life-or-death, no reason is that important.

About water in the fuel freezing up. Water in the fuel will stop an engine irrespective of the temperature. Water doesn't burn. It usually happens shortly after takeoff. Being heavier than fuel, the water is at the bottom of the tank and gets into the system first. A good pilot always checks for and eliminates water in the fuel tank before taking off if the craft has been sitting for a while since the last flight. Any pilot who takes off with water in the fuel is not a "good" pilot.

Your best bet is a mechanical failure resulting in autorotation and no place to put her down. You don't need to go into details and probably shouldn't unless your ms is vetted by a pilot experienced in the type aircraft you use.

Running out of fuel is a remote possibility. That's what killed Gary Francis Powers.

ETA: Birds don't usually get sucked into engines other than jets. A bird strike would have to hit the rotor, and survival would be unlikely. Weather isn't as big a problem in a helicopter. Low visibility? Hover and figure your options. You stay out of thunderstorms, too.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that's a very good point Al Stevens made. Just have lights flashing and emergency warning beeps. The pilot has to autorotate to bring 'er down.

How would they really ever know what had happened? I mean weeks or months later after the FAA investigation they might find out, but in the context of the story, what does it really matter what went wrong?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Helicopters have even heavier maintenance requirements than airplanes.

Fuel and oil lines should not break without intent. But metallic components do, on occasion, fail catastrophically (without prior indication). I suppose an oil pump failure could lead to a rapid engine failure.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I think it might work to have the bad guys responsible for the crash. There are the obvious options of either an explosive on board or shooting them down - but I'd like something a little different.

Would it be possible for another aircraft (either helicopter or airplane) to "force" them down? Maybe some sort of wake turbulence? Is that possible?

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Without mechanical failure or pilot error, you don't have a crash. ;-)
Al has covered it pretty well.

Depends a bit on the type of helicopter it is. Engine failures do happen, but might seem a bit convenient. Weather can force you down, but then you just wait and take off again when it clears.

No, another airplane isn't going to be able to force them down.

The bad guys can do all kinds of mean little things that could break the helicopter. Gunk in the fuel can clog up the injectors. Or, a small bomb could easily take out a fuel line, or a hunk of metal loosely attached to the intake (behind the filters) could break loose and destroy the engine (turbine engine). This last one is pretty cool in that it would be very difficult for a crash investigation to figure out, where a bomb would be more obvious. If they plan for it to happen an hour after takeoff when the helicopter is over rugged terrain, they're probably going to be pretty sure it will kill the crew.

Once the engine has failed, the pilot will have to autorotate (assuming it's a single engine helicopter). The pilot has one shot to set it down safely and won't have time to pick a convenient spot to land. Whatever is close will have to work which means that most likely, the helicopter will get bent. If you do it right, everybody walks away, but it will be a pretty hard landing.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
The bad guys can do all kinds of mean little things that could break the helicopter. Gunk in the fuel can clog up the injectors. Or, a small bomb could easily take out a fuel line, or a hunk of metal loosely attached to the intake (behind the filters) could break loose and destroy the engine (turbine engine). This last one is pretty cool in that it would be very difficult for a crash investigation to figure out, where a bomb would be more obvious. If they plan for it to happen an hour after takeoff when the helicopter is over rugged terrain, they're probably going to be pretty sure it will kill the crew.

Once the engine has failed, the pilot will have to autorotate (assuming it's a single engine helicopter). The pilot has one shot to set it down safely and won't have time to pick a convenient spot to land. Whatever is close will have to work which means that most likely, the helicopter will get bent. If you do it right, everybody walks away, but it will be a pretty hard landing.

I think that will work. Now I've just got to figure out how to get my bad guys access to the chopper before the good guys take off. Better yet, maybe they can rig it during a fuel stop.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
What type of helicopter?

If it's a jet turbine-powered helo, the turbine could suck in a bird or something like that. Most higher-end helos are turbine-powered. Though I have no idea how they could ingest a bird...

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
What type of helicopter?

If it's a jet turbine-powered helo, the turbine could suck in a bird or something like that. Most higher-end helos are turbine-powered. Though I have no idea how they could ingest a bird...

They really can't. Helicopters work in harsh environments, often close to the ground. Also, because of the rotor wash, they kick up a lot of junk when landing. All turbine helicopters have screens and other systems to keep dirt out of the engines. Birds aren't going to get through.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Our air ambulance flew into high tension cables. However, everybody died. So maybe that isn't the best idea.

Some kind of failure to the tail rotor?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
The windward or downslope side of a mountain could cause an immediate downward force because of the wind wash, causing the helicopter to suddenly lose altitude and either stall, or impact the ground without gaining altitude, even at full throttle.

Was it a Steve Fawcett, or some guy, who had this happen to him a while back? He hit a tremendous downdraft while flying over a range of mountains. His craft was literally pulled into the canyon floor.

Tri

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
They really can't. Helicopters work in harsh environments, often close to the ground. Also, because of the rotor wash, they kick up a lot of junk when landing. All turbine helicopters have screens and other systems to keep dirt out of the engines. Birds aren't going to get through.

That's what I thought. I was trying to think of a turbine-powered helo that had unshielded intakes, but I thought maybe...

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
He hit a tremendous downdraft while flying over a range of mountains. His craft was literally pulled into the canyon floor.
Pulled to the canyon floor is a little hard to believe. Downdrafts don't do that because air doesn't sink into the ground. It burbles and turns into adjacent updrafts. Reporters often get such details wrong when they write about aviation accidents.

Somebody said:
Some kind of failure to the tail rotor?

About the tail rotor. Don't screw with the tail rotor. It keeps you pointed in the right direction. Lose it, and you lose control. The bird spins erratically on its horizontal axis. A safe touchdown is virtually impossible. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnK9bGCvYtU

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
The windward or downslope side of a mountain could cause an immediate downward force because of the wind wash, causing the helicopter to suddenly lose altitude and either stall, or impact the ground without gaining altitude, even at full throttle.

Tri
Yes, mountain waves can be powerful enough to put you into such a downdraft that the aircraft does not have the power to fly out of it. They usually occur in extreme mountainous areas when strong weather patterns are in existence. They are somewhat rare and can mostly be avoided by staying above the ridge lines.

About the tail rotor. Don't screw with the tail rotor. It keeps you pointed in the right direction. Lose it, and you lose control. The bird spins erratically on its horizontal axis. A safe touchdown is virtually impossible. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnK9bGCvYtU
At a hover or slow speeds, yes, it's ugly. Chop the power and try for an autorotation is about your only bet (it's an anti-torque rotor and if you remove the torque -- the engine turning the main rotor -- then the spin will stop). Also, if you have some forward airspeed, about 30-50ktis, you can continue flying, try to find a long flat space and then land a bit like an airplane maintaining forward airspeed. It's tricky, but doable.