PDA

View Full Version : Need a Writing Buddy? Look here!

amlptj
02-10-2012, 09:53 AM
So due to another thread that start up, I've come to realize there are alot of people out there who seem to need and want Writing Buddies. So I figured maybe its time to start a thread in which is like Willing Beta Reading, only for people who need a writing buddy. (If this had been done before sorry!)

Weather you are looking for someone to be your cheerleader on the sidelines cheering you on, or someone who you want to bounce ideas off-of or a person who is half cheerleader and half beta. That is all up to you.

So I figured maybe this could work in a way like Willing Beta Readers where you put out a little add for yourself what you write and what kind of relationship you are looking for.

I figured just like with the Willing Beta Reading thread, replies could go through PM's

So I'll post an example in the next thread. :)

amlptj
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Personal Info: My name is Ally, I'm 21 and a senior Chemistry major, and I've been writing for the last almost 10 year now.

Writing: I write YA Horror/Thriller series, and also have and am dabbling in other areas of YA fantasy and YA Thriller.

What I'm looking for: Really any kind of writing buddy. IRL i don't really know any others who write, so it would be great to have a little support system! I have one right now but it would be nice to have more. My books and series are rather complex and I'd love someone to bounce ideas off of. I'd also love a semi-beta reader relationship, for i'm trying to get my first book off the ground and published finally!

cryaegm
02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
What I'm looking for: Really any kind of writing buddy. IRL i don't really know any others who write, so it would be great to have a little support system! I have one right now but it would be nice to have more. My books and series are rather complex and I'd love someone to bounce ideas off of. I'd also love a semi-beta reader relationship, for i'm trying to get my first book off the ground and published finally!
Same here! :D

I did post here like sometime last year and got a couple people to email, but I lost their email addresses. :( I also don't remember their usernames, so I suppose I could post here.

Personal info: I'm 21 and my name is Abbie. I have a love for video games and books (obviously). Oh, and writing, too. :D

Writing: YA, pretty much.

What I'm looking for: Same thing TC's looking for: a writing buddy/support system and a semi-beta reader relationship. I have really off the wall ideas. Umm...not sure what else to say. I suck at this kind of thing. D:

shayla.mist
02-10-2012, 07:15 PM
nice thread amlptj! exactly what I needed
Personal info: I'm a girl, I'm 24; I like manga, anime, drawing and crafts.
Writing: I write m/m (gay) romance - contemporary and urban fantasy
What I'm looking for: Basically I'm looking for a friend, preferably who writes in my same genre or has at least read books in this genre. Since I'm a newbie at writing I'd like to chat with someone in my same position, someone who is serious about writing, but still, struggling, like me, to write their first few drafts. I want to meet someone who I can exchange ideas with and plot, and push each other when we're going through writer's block or we feel we're loosing confidence in out own writing.

Mary K. Norris
02-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Love the idea ampltj!
Personal Info: I'm 24 have a B.S. in Kinesiology and have been writing since 2006. I've completed 6 novels and am now trying to get out into the publishing world!
Writing: I write paranormal romance
What I'm looking for: I'm looking for a writing buddy but probably more on the critiquing partner level, someone who knows the genre and would be a great support/motivator but still very honest with critiquing. Definitely someone I can throw ideas around with, and someone who is serious about writing.

poeticjustice_2001
02-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Great idea Ally! Thanks for starting this...

Personal Info: My name is Lillian and I'm currently serving in the US Peace Corps in Nicaragua as an Environmental Educator. My writing is keeping me sane down here :)

Writing: I write in Romance - mainly paranormal, Urban fantasy, and erotica (most subgenres)

What I'm looking for: I just want to make friends with other writers. If we write in the same genres- great! Otherwise, no biggie. I've read books in tons of genres. It's nice to have writer friends because they understand the trials and tribulations we go through- as well as the unique obstacles. If you're surrounded by non-writers, it can definitely be discouraging at times.
SO if anyone wants to be writer buddies/online cheerleaders/beta readers/idea bouncers, send me a PM !

Vegetarian Cannibal
02-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Coolies! This is just what I'm looking for.

Personal Info: I am 23. I have a BA in psychology but I'm currently pursuing another degree in nursing. I've been publishing short stories and poetry since 2009, but I have yet to put out a novel. I am in need of writer friends and crit partners!

Writing: YA, Horror, Lesbi Erotica, Fantasy, Sci-Fi. I like to write speculative fiction surrounding multicultural, feminist, LGBT, and other social issues. I have a dark sense of humor and that usually plays out in my writing. I do NOT write faith-based stuff, memoirs, traditional romances, or spy stories.

What I'm looking for: Someone who shares my dark sense of humor and who is not creeped out by cannibals. *smile* Preferably someone who has some experience in the publishing world.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Jadeyn M
02-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Excellent thread, thanks for posting. My name's Jade.
personal info: I'm a nineteen-year-old English major from the US, currently spending a semester abroad in the UK. I really can't say how long I've been writing, but I've always loved to read. I didn't try writing novels until I was at least ten or eleven, and I didn't try short stories or poetry until nearly the end of high school.
writing: I have written (and kept) a handful of short stories and have several concepts for longer projects which I've retained over the years. I've worked with fantasy/science-fiction, even surreal elements, though some stories contain none of these things. I haven't been published before, I've never submitted to publishing because I really don't know how to or if it's worth it.
what I'm looking for: a sort of writing-buddy, somebody I can trade different works with, straighten out ideas, etc. PM me if you want. I can be a harsh critic, but only because I care about writing. I'm not looking for somebody to baby me, either.
Thanks for reading.

Lhipenwhe
02-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Sounds like there's a lot of great people responding so far.

Personal Info: I'm a 22-year old liberal arts student. I like Buddhism, iaido, video games, and dogs.

Writing: I write fantasy and sci-fi, and I'm currently working on a 'science-fantasy' book.

What I'm looking for: I'd like someone to bounce ideas off of, and do some editing (I'm fine with something besides LBL). I'm accepting of hard criticism, and I can offer it in return.

Delvianna01
02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Personal Info: My name is Jenna I'm 25 and I've been writing for the last 6 months now.

Writing: So far I'm into fiction, to be more specific romance/fantasy.

What I'm looking for: I'm new to writing and this will be the first book I've written. Its on the first draft now about 22,500 words so far! I'm looking for a buddy to bounce ideas off of, maybe read some to tell me their thoughts and opinions as this is a work in progress! I would also give you my thoughts on your work as well! :)

Kewii
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I like this idea :)

Personal Info: My name is Kelly, I'm a 28 year old teacher and I live in the Middle East (but am from Canada and English is my native language). I'm a big sports fanatic, but I also love reading and writing.

Writing: I like to write fantasy, usually geared at Middle grade/young adult

What I'm looking for: I need someone to bounce ideas off of, but also someone to help me kick my butt into gear. I believe if I know someone is waiting for me, it will help my motivation. I'm also looking for thoughts and opinions.

Hope to hear from someone! :)

SaronaNalia
02-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Personal Info: I am 19 years old and female. I am originally from the US but I currently live in Germany. I am learning German with the goal of eventually attending university here. I make jewelry.

Writing: For the most part I write and read YA. I also do poems and flash fiction. I've yet to finish a novel but I hope to change that this year. I'm ok with reading most genres, but I'm not really interested in spiritual stuff or memoirs.

What I'm looking for: Since I moved away from home, I've lost touch with many of my writer friends from high school. I'm mostly just looking for someone to talk to who understands being a writer. I'd like to have someone to bounce ideas off of and share my writing woes with. There could be some editing involved, too, but that isn't a requirement. But I'll admit I can be a little on the harsh side sometimes, so if you don't take criticism well then I'm probably not the right fit for you. I'm happy to have friends of any age or gender. I've never done this whole writing buddy thing before, so I don't know how good at it I'll be.

PM if you want to get to know me better. If we click then cool. If not, that's ok too.

Don B
02-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Personal Info: I am 40 years young (and very immature--by choice!), married father of two, and a secondary literature/grammar/writing teacher in mid-Michigan (USA).

Writing: I write fantasy short stories and am working on a "low fantasy" novel, plus I dabble in poetry.

What I'm Looking For: I have written for decades and have published in small presses, etc., but I have never taken it seriously--mainly, I think, because I am isolated. I have no writing companions. Now I want to fix that. I have, over the years, joined writing/critique groups and taken classes, but I've found these lack the personal connection I desire: It's nice to have various people unknown to you read your piece & make suggestions, but then they move on, usually never to write or speak to you again. What I want--probably like most of you--is to get to know a "buddy" or two who understands my writing (and I theirs), who I can bounce ideas off, who can encourage me and hold me accountable and even tell me when my scribbling is putrid trash (which it often is).

I do want to clarify that although I write a lot of fantasy (although not exclusively) I am not a huge fan of the "verrrrry" commercial fantasy novels. Therefore if you idolize Raymond Feist, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, Terry Brooks, and the like, we are not on the same page. I for fun read Shakespeare, Poe, Dostoyevsky, Homer, classic poetry... all the "dusty musty" masters of the Western canon. In fantasy & SF, Tolkien, Peake, Homer, Orwell, etc. are greater influences on me than Vance or Hobb :)

Take care, and I hope to hear from you!

Don

alessahinlo
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Personal info: Hi, I'm Alessa! I'm 32 and live in the Washington DC suburbs where I work in applied science.

Writing: Traditional fantasy that draws upon Asian culture. My current WIP is a novel.

What I'm Looking For: I took a break from writing for several years so I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'd like a buddy/cheerleader/sometime-beta! Like everyone else in this thread, I suppose. What I need most is an accountability partner -- someone who'll encourage me to keep going and hit deadlines, self-imposed though they may be.

JezSun
02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Personal Info: Hi, I'm Jez, I'm 37 years old, and I'm a Brit living in Taiwan. I teach ESL and love it.

Writing: I'm currently on a regular Steampunk short story project, and soon to do an Urban Fantasy novel. Both of these are heavily influenced by my time in Taiwan.

What I'm Looking For: I guess I'm looking for a mutual 'I'll kick your arse if you don't hit your wordcount today' friend, and someone to bounce ideas off while I'm writing. If beta reading is on the cards as well, that's cool.
There are a couple of people on this list that I could mail...but I am in a very different time zone to a lot of people. I'm happy to work around that as much as possible with anyone willing!

Don Chucho
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Personal Info: Hi, I'm 29 years old male. I live in Europe, Baltic states, but have been living and traveling a bit around other Europe. I've been involved in IT and computer science for most of my life and still doing it.

Writing: I'm doing short stories and flash fiction. Mostly, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, but I try to avoid cliche's as much as possible. I'm reading almoust anything tho.

What I'm Looking For: Someone to share ideas, beta read, and cheer each other up. Tell me what sucks so much you need aspirin pill for every page, or what could end up tolerable. English is not my first language so I might ask to check on style and punctuation. Also, your puny excuses of not sticking to deadlines will be ignored until you finish your projects.

Something like that