PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing & Rescue Services - Equipment need for a Salvage Operation

Isilya
02-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I have characters that salvage technology from a massive subterranean machine. They use climbing equipment to descend into the area and bring chemicals and machinery back up. I'm looking for information on what types of equipment they would use.

I have a team of three men in relatively good shape, and they have been doing this for years.

What they're transporting: Some small items that would fit into backpacks and larger items like a car engine. Plus all the equipment they need to salvage, food supplies, etc.

The limitations: Much of their route is structurally unsound. (and no there is no sound route accessible) and the items need to be transported across several types of terrain on foot.
-vertically
-horizontally
-over rubble
-odd angles
-up ladders
-over chasms
-through odd openings

While the work is science fiction and the equipment can be made lighter, stronger, or more compact but I would like to keep it as accurate as possible, limiting the Heisenberg compensators needed.

I appreciate any help I can get

:)

Edit: If you know of any books or resources I should have a look at, please let me know.

Isilya
02-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I've tried looking into rock climbing books but they don't get specific enough.
I've contacted an equipment company but they just directed me to their catalog. (which was way too technical)

I know a little about climbing harnesses, basic pulleys, and winches. I'm hoping for information on technique, or specialty equipment they could use.

L.C. Blackwell
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
What gives me pause is the "structurally unsound" part. Most techniques that I know of require anchor points to lock in, at least if you're raising a load. In what ways is the structure unsound?

Isilya
02-10-2012, 09:17 AM
The areas are sound enough for walking across. I meant structurally unsound more in the sense that heavy machinery wouldn't be possible.

The subterranean areas are networks of tunnels, maintenance shafts, old parking garages and subway tunnels, some of which are damaged.

There's a lot of concrete, metal and stone to work with. They would be able to find anchor points to set up pulleys and the like.

L.C. Blackwell
02-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Ok--I finally got back to my reference books, and I'm not sure how much use this will be, but you're welcome to it.

The first book--one that may have something of what you're looking for--is The International Manual of Basic Rescue Methods by Dawson Nethercutt, 1975. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find one, though you might be able to get a copy through interlibrary loan.

Second book--more general mountaineering, and may not have what you're looking for, but the chapter on Aid Climbing is decent: Mountaineering: the Freedom of the Hills, 6th Edition, 1997.

My guess is you'll want to look for books on confined space rescue and/or extrication, including ones that deal with urban rescues, as part of the rescue involves removing the load of a human body--preferably alive.

Hope this helps, and good luck. :)

Isilya
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Thank you so much.

I'll check my local public and university libraries for them. :)

Brickcommajason
02-13-2012, 08:04 AM
I have some experience with rock face rescue. Usually, we use ascenders....gizmos you attach to a rope that lets you put your feet in them like ladders. Similar devices attach to crampons.

Really, though, it's the route that will demonstrate professional knowledge. Getting dropped by a helicopter uphill, then running ropes down for a rappel is one really great way to rescue a guy....

Brickcommajason
02-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Out of curiosity...what circumstances in the rescue prevent using high-accuracy personal flight devices to just jetpack up and save the day?

L.C. Blackwell
02-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Thank you so much.

I'll check my local public and university libraries for them. :)

Most likely you'll have better luck on Amazon or Half.ebay.com. I'd be amazed if your local library had the two I referenced--at least the rescue manual. The interlibrary loan is a possibility, if you have such a thing available to you, but it's probably better for looking up confined space rescue books in general.

Isilya
02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Out of curiosity...what circumstances in the rescue prevent using high-accuracy personal flight devices to just jetpack up and save the day?

While I love jet packs, I'm looking for equipment to be used on a regular basis for salvage operation in a subterranean area. Though I may use them for another story :)

I have some experience with rock face rescue. Usually, we use ascenders(1)....gizmos you attach to a rope that lets you put your feet in them like ladders. Similar devices attach to crampons.

Really, though, it's the route that will demonstrate professional knowledge(2). Getting dropped by a helicopter uphill, then running ropes down for a rappel is one really great way to rescue a guy....

1)I was looking into these, I think they would use them in their endeavors. How much easier do they make the climb, aka could you use it while injured, with say a sprained knee?

2)I think I'll have another character comment on the Mc's route choice, or describe a bad route vs their chosen route,

Thank you