Status
Not open for further replies.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I've attended a few author reading events over the years, but never timed the reading portion. I'd guess the longest was twenty minutes; the shortest was probably three. I'm speaking of adult fiction by a single author, at a library or community center where there isn't necessarily a time constraint.

Variables such as time of day and audience age aside, what do folks consider an ideal length? People go to the effort of attending, so the three minute read was far too short. I mostly read for twelve minutes and haven't had people checking their watches. Well, maybe they were just really cool about it.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As an attendee, not a reader, I would say a lot would depend on the reading aloud skills of the author. I've seen a few where three minutes was torture, and at least one where they stopped after 30 minutes and we all wanted more. YMMV

MM

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I did a reading at Dragoncon in 2009 and read chapter two of UNHOLY GHOSTS. There's a video of it here; 19:31 long.

I wa scheduled for an hour, so I chatted for ten minutes or so before and then answered questions for the remaining 20 mins or so. It seemed to work well.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
That's comforting info, Stacia, thanks. BTW, the cards look to be a brilliant idea, especially for a book yet to be released. I wish I'd brought this up earlier - my first reading for a July 1 release is in three hours. I'm reading three minutes from the book I'm signing, then 13 minutes from the July book. A card or bookmark with the new cover art and web site would have been perfect. Next time ...

And I agree, Mary.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
No more than 20 minutes tops is my feeling, and even that is pretty long. Just did an event last night where we three authors read for 20 minutes each and any longer it would have gotten tedious. Despite the fact that all the readers were quite engaging.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've kept it to a funny 2-3 page excerpt from a chapter. Then I answer questions and sign books, but also I get out from behind the podium and go right into the audience and chat.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like about 15 - 20 minutes, with the caveat that the author should be able to read well from his/her own works. Occasionally the author is clearly nervous or shy and I cringe at how long s/he forces the reading to last out of some sense of obligation.

Maryn, who's going to hire a shill, a la Remington Steele

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
We'd sell SO many books... :D

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to hire Alan Rickman to do my readings for me.

I am so there. Strictly to buy your book, of course, never heard of this Rickman guy.

I'm planning to give each attendee a little gong. That should liven things up. :D

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Figured 56 women's club ladies was worth the scramble ... blurb from the local daily paper, release date/availability, and web address. Rickman didn't answer his phone, though.

card.jpg

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I like about 15 - 20 minutes, with the caveat that the author should be able to read well from his/her own works. Occasionally the author is clearly nervous or shy and I cringe at how long s/he forces the reading to last out of some sense of obligation.

Maryn, who's going to hire a shill, a la Remington Steele

As a soccer coach of girls/women for 20+ years I'm quite comfortable yelling at my audience. "Sit back down, close your pie hole, or everyone is running laps."

Haven't resorted to it for a reading. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.