Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Note: Ported over from the erotica board. I think the questions can be better answered over here:

chicagogal said:
I was all set to start putting en e book together on a subject that has not really had coverage to the degree that it should. however, I recently read some negative feedback about e mail book receipts and wonder if I should continue to try to interest editors, publishes, perhaps an agent or go ahead and attempt a totally unfamiliar writing venue? I know the book will be of interest to many and sell well. but I am totally ignorant of how to do this and a bit concerned about the possible lack of sales. I am a once very prolific, successful writer on many subjects so really feel terrible about this wishy washy attitude of mine. any inspiring thoughts?

Cathy C said:
Well, I guess I have to ask a few questions of you first, Chicagogal.

1. When you say it's a subject that hasn't been explored, is it a novel or non-fiction? You're in the erotica fiction forum, but I'm wondering if you're posting here because you searched and spotted the topic title.

2. I believe you're considering self-publishing the book as an ebook. Is that correct?

3. But, if you know it will sell well, why NOT get an agent and a traditional publisher?

4. I'm not quite sure what you mean about "email book receipts". Do you mean SELLING the book via email?

We do have a forum that is specifically devoted to self-publishing. Quite a few people do it with success in non-fiction. Novels are just harder sells, though -- except in the case of erotica, where ebooks are one of the PRIMARY venues for the stories.

Give us a bit more information and we'll try to direct you better! BTW -- Welcome to AW!
smile.gif

Chicagogal said:
Cathy, I have you in my book for santa's main list. you are so very helpful. I haven't quite gotten the hang of where to post what. anyway, my book deals with dementia from the viewpoint of a spouse who has a husband or wife in a nursing home with this terrible affliction. I kept a very detailed journal of my thoughts and all that data during the first year of my husband's illness, prior to his going into a nursing some. Much has been written on the subject of dementia(alzheimers, being the most prevalent of this illness) but none that I know of from the point of view of the caregiver spouse. I learned a great deal about the "system' during these nearly 12 years as well as attitudes of family and friends that may be of help to someone in a similar situation. Also how to prevent going stone broke due to bureaucratic inflexibile rules. Any suggestions? I have contacted agents but no interest exrpessed thus far. I think the time is right.

Cathy C said:
Okay, I'll make this short so we don't hijack the thread too much. I'll start a topic over on the self-pub board so others can comment on this too. But since you have a well-known topic of national interest, I'd really suggest you first look to the traditional publishing market. This sort of self-help book could probably do quite well with the proper publishing house. Go over here and we can discuss it further!
smile.gif

What say you other self-pubbers. Would this sort of non-fiction memoir style self help book do well as an ebook or a self-pubbed, or should she consider a large or small press?

maggie2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chicagogal,

You certainly have a timely topic for your book. I think you also have a good slant, meaning that by exploring the topic from a personal standpoint rather than a medical one I think you will have a fairly large audience.

I have published both with a publishing house and self-publishing. Both have their merits and drawbacks. However, if any of us are to give you sound advice we need some further information from you. Here are a list of questions that I'd like you to answer. Those answers will help me to know how to respond to your request for information on whether or not to e-publish.

1. If you are thinking of publishing with a publisher and are seeking an agent have you written a book proposal?

2. Have you done any market research on your book? Do you know how you might market it? Whether you publish yourself or go through a publisher, you will still have to be the main driving force behind the marketing of the book, so it's important to know how you will do that.

3. You said in your original post that you are a 'once very prolofic writer'. Did you write on medical subjects? Has your writing been published? Did you write articles or books? All these questions have a bearing on whether or not an agent or publisher might work with you.

I'm sure that there are other questions that need to be addressed, however, if you can respond to these questions then we can go from there.

I look forward to chatting with you further about your book and hope that I can be of some use to you.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Ebooks typically sell fewer copies than an equivalent paperback. However if you could find a reputable e-publisher with an established readership and good ditribution--that sort of ebook will tend to sell more than a standard self-published POD. I think it is a matter of really deciding who might be interested in this book in terms of readers, agents and presses?

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
Maggie 2

I hope that I am doing this correctly. first, thank you so much maggie for your great response to my recent post. now to answer your questions:

1. yes, I have written a proposal by way of a detailed outline for my book NOT A WIDOW, NOT A WIFE.

2. I have done some marketing research by way of searching for books on the subject of dementia?alzheimers and so far have only found personal experience books written by an offspring or a sibling or scientific theme. that is why I am so gung ho to get this project going whether an e book, POD or with an agent, publisher who has the foresight to see the marketing potential. for me it is a work to do some good. during my husband's illness I was able to give some sound advice to a few spouses of nursing home residents based upon my personal experiences with the bureaucratic obstacles.

3. my writing career was mainly in the following areas: film and tv celelbrities;
health & nutrtion, travel and personal experience. no medical perse.
if you would like to chat with me by e mail contact me at [email protected] and check out my website for more info on my career.www.sylviaresnick.com suppose everyone is reading this and has private information on me, but at this point I don't care. thanks again for your response.S

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
thanks to cathy and veinglory

what a nice group of people in this forum. I so appreciate hearing from both of you and for your interest. when this project is out there I know who will get honorable mention in the dedication. thanks so very much.

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
e book or established publisher

Hi Cathy, we left my recent query about a non fiction book I have in progress at the point where you asked for input by AW posters. I have had good answers, but I wonder at your question as to why I don't publish by way of the old fashioned way: would dearly love to do this but agents who I hae contacted ( just a few) don't seem taken with the topic. I have no qualms about my writing ability as I have a solid publishing background. the climate has changed considerably in the writing world, agents, editors, publishers. it is very frustating. a very nice person from AW has offered to discuss this subject by phone with me and I am hoping that our two heads together will lead to something viable, not to just a headache on my part. time was when editors sought me out. I guess i should stop living in the past. any comments?

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
As a trade journalist, with some background in the health industry, but none in book publishing:

I would say that your subject matter has enough appeal for targetting a national audience, by way of traditional trade/ health publishers. When you point out that you have an insider's view, I think that is fine, but I would think that it has got to be 'meaty', and if it contains controversy, then all the better for potential sales and marketing.

Of course, the more leverage/credibility you can provide with your background, the better. In publishing speak, it is referred to as a 'platform'. Your suggested title is good.

ATP

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
EXPATBRAT & AP

thank you for the kudos and sage advice. the more comments I read, the more I think that I had better try the traditional road to getting this book published. I still have POD publishing in the back of my mind after an enlightening talk with Maggie 2. I am giving myself a time limit to contact publishers/agents. if none of these people sees the potential of this book(and there is plenty of controversy just in bucking the system) then i am going to self publishing because this book has got to get out there to be of some help. thanks again to all who responded to my uncertainty about the fate of this book. you are priceless!

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
chicagogal said:
thank you for the kudos and sage advice. the more comments I read, the more I think that I had better try the traditional road to getting this book published. I still have POD publishing in the back of my mind after an enlightening talk with Maggie 2. I am giving myself a time limit to contact publishers/agents. if none of these people sees the potential of this book(and there is plenty of controversy just in bucking the system) then i am going to self publishing because this book has got to get out there to be of some help. thanks again to all who responded to my uncertainty about the fate of this book. you are priceless!

The POD market is, from what I understand, a very difficult market, requiring inordinate amounts of marketing and distribution work. And, if you have read relevant threads recently, you will note that many 'brick and mortar' (or regular) bookstores are seemingly uniting against acceptance of POD publications.

Others here with more knowledge might have something else to add, but I think attempting traditional publishers first appears a good choice. No doubt, you realise the limitations concerning whichever avenue you choose. There is a veritable wealth of knowledge contained here within the relevant forums and threads (try the search function to assist you in this). Just to name a few -
Cathy C, Victoria Strauss, Jamesaritchie - of the more experienced that have much to contribute. There are also others.

As to your content, another thought occurred. The journalist in me now speaks, if I may.

If you seek to provide an insider's view, try to avoid getting into purely a diatribe or railing against the system. If your material can provide your likely reader assistance, insight and relief/aid, as well as with some solid material ie. research that enables you where necessary to support your case, you will have a more substantial book to provide, and I think, more attractive to potential publishers. Utilise your feelings, and channel them; let them fuel your purpose, but in turn, seek to be dispassionate about the subject matter. Strive for equal parts emotion and fact.In this form, you have an effective sword, enabling you to both thrust and parry with conviction.

ATP

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
MAGGIE 2

hi marge, I really enjoyed our conversation of last week and your suggestions were extremely helpful. as soon as I have exhausted my list of agents and publishers regarding this project, i plan on using your suggested e mail publisher. I may do that anyway as this book has to get out there. your input is so helpful. anyone who needs guidance should benefit from a conference with you. thanks a bunch!!
biggrin.gif

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
ATP

Thanks for your wise comments. my intent is not to rant against the system, but to tell it like it was: the frustration, ignorance and despair of being in this situation as so many others are and have been. I think that I have a fairly good approach and slant but will continue to probe agents until I have exhausted the list of potentials. all of the comments made in the forum have been helpful and I thank each and every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.