Do I need a secretary?

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I *think* the first draft of my novel is nearly finished, but…

There’s always a “but”.

…it’s all over the place like a mad woman’s custard. What I mean is, there are files here, there and everywhere. There’s no system, no order. I don’t know how it got like that, but there you go, it happened. Writing scenes as they occurred to me rather than in sequence might be part of it.

But as someone once said, there’s no point in crying over spilt custard. I simply have to join all those files together in the correct order before I can start rewriting.

But it isn’t as simple as saying file A comes before file B comes before file C, either. As I said, there are files here, there and everywhere. I keep finding bits and pieces of writing tucked away in odd places, that need to be slotted in.

I perceive all this as chaos. It might be a by-product of my old and tired mind. Tired being a key word. Whatever, somehow I need to whip this mongrel thing I call a story into shape. I’m starting to wonder if an experienced secretary might help (real world, NOT online). Have any of you good people heard of similar problems and similar solutions, and if so, what can you tell me about it?

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Only you know how the story is supposed to really go, a secretary could only make an informed guess and for a first draft, it seems like it would be a little over the top.

I would say get a pack of post its, write down a scene or chapter per note and stick them on a while side by side then read through the files with bits of novel and stick them in columns under the post it to which grouping they belong.
Once every bit of story belongs somewhere on the timeline, work out in which order in their grouping they go.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I can't comment on how efficient a secretary would be for a writer, but the ones in my office are amazingly good at keeping the architects organized... as architects and writers are both the creative type and people in our trades can be somewhat flighty, (I know I am) it might benefit you if you're willing to pay.

Leanna

Registered
Reaction score
Colorado, India, or with my MC battling ferocious
Website
www.leannacinquanta.com
Here's something I just developed to help visualize mine: Get a Word doc, orient it Landscape and draw an arrow from bottom left to top right corner. That is the linear progression of your story.

Now make yourself a bunch of ovals or rectangles and arrange them all along the arrow. In the one to the far bottom left write the first scene or major occurrence in your story. In the top right one write the finale or conclusion then start filling the other shapes.

After you have a the linear aspects of your story then you may find you have some sub-plots. Place them some distance from the arrow and draw lines to show how and where they connect with the main plot.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need a secretary, you need Maxwell Perkins.

But, failing him, you're just going to have to collect all the bits and put them together yourself. Once you've done that, you might hire a typist with good copyediting skills to produce a finished manuscript. From there you can go to anyone from free beta readers and writing groups to a professional free-lance editor (good ones being very far from free.)

But only Max Perkins could make sense out of something you can't make sense of yourself, and bona fide psychics are even more expensive than free-lance editors. ;)

Last edited: