View Full Version : Lighting Technical Term for....

02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what the technical term for creating a circle of light within the eyes is?

It's the sort you see in music videos where the cameraman is doing a face-only shot and you get those bright circles of light in the artist's eyes.

I wish I could explain it better.... Sorry....

Thanks and reps to anyone who might know this.

02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Halo effect, I think.

You can buy special camera lenses to increase the effect.

I could be wrong; it's been a while since I was a serious photographer.

02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Highlights in the eyes? Is that what you're talking about? The use of key lights will do this, but in cinematography, often there are specific lights set just to put highlights in the eyes, these are called 'eye lights'. Some folks call them 'glamour lights' - but that also refers to very soft light used in front of the lens to remove wrinkles.

Drachen Jager
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
It's called a ring light. It's a donut shaped light that sits around the lens of the camera.


lizbeth dylan
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Drachen Jager is correct, that is a ringlight and is used to make the circular catchlights in a person's eye in a photo/video.

If it is just a single highlight or two, those are usually termed catchlights by photographers. Some also refer to them as "specular highlights".

02-08-2012, 10:50 PM
You're frickin' AWESOME, guys. Thankyouthankyouthankyou :D

And Drachen, thank you for the photos! I've not seen the actual camera light before so that's really useful.

02-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Yup, ring lights too. They also have ringlights made of specific colored LEDs for chromo-key as well.