Registered
Reaction score
Colored. The eyes have color.

Last edited:

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
thanks!

I'm having trouble with 1 more sentence of mine.

I was thinking more of the lines of a nap.

I was thinking more on the lines of a nap.

Danika

Stuck in the middle with you
Registered
Reaction score
"along the lines" is how we say it 'round these parts.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
He had different color eyes.
He had different colored eyes.

Pedantically speaking, I think both are wrong. In the first, color acts as an adjective and suggests there is an alternative to eyes with color (i.e. having uncolored ones), so it should be hyphenated as in different-color eyes. Likewise with colored in the second. The alternative here might be to say he had differently colored eyes.

Just to confuse things further, either could mean having a blue eye and a green one (for example) or having mottled eyes. Perhaps he had eyes of a different color might get around that.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Pedantically speaking, I think both are wrong. In the first, color acts as an adjective and suggests there is an alternative to eyes with color (i.e. having uncolored ones), so it should be hyphenated as in different-color eyes. Likewise with colored in the second. The alternative here might be to say he had differently colored eyes.

I personally would hyphenate the term (and would use 'different-coloured'), but hyphens can be left out (per current style usage) when it's this obvious. I'm anal-retentive about hyphen use, but others aren't so much. :)

Just to confuse things further, either could mean having a blue eye and a green one (for example) or having mottled eyes. Perhaps he had eyes of a different color might get around that.

This change is even worse. The original versions are in common use (both with and without the '-ed') and most native English speakers will understand what's meant: each eye is a different colour.

'Eyes of a different colour' is totally vague and personally, I'd assume it meant 'different from normal' and then wonder which colour they are...purple? pink? orange? chartreuse?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think that Kenn is right and both of those sentences about eyes are not all that good.

"His eyes were of different colors" might also work.

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
~~heterochromatic eyes.

Last edited:

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This change is even worse. The original versions are in common use (both with and without the '-ed') and most native English speakers will understand what's meant: each eye is a different colour.

'Eyes of a different colour' is totally vague and personally, I'd assume it meant 'different from normal' and then wonder which colour they are...purple? pink? orange? chartreuse?

I take your second point. However, your comment on usage by native English speakers doesn't follow logic. You can't define what is meant by the statements, because there isn't a unique interpretation. Therefore, you can't say that most people would understand them. You could say something along the lines that most people would assume what was meant (and I don't know whether that is true), but anyone would question it if it were a matter of importance. For example, if you were describing symptoms to a doctor over the telephone or reporting a crime to the police.

PS Good to see you spell colour correctly;) I made a conscious effort to write it color!

~~heterochromatic eyes.
Sorry Lynn, you can get sectional heterochromatism, which is one eye and two colours. I don't know the specific name when each eye is a different colour.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Kenn here. The best way to write it is something like, "His left eye was blue, and his right eye was green."

Even if "different-colored" worked, it still doesn't give detail the read can, uh, see.

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
He had different color eyes.
He had different colored eyes.
The second version sounded easier to me: He had different colored eyes. :)

Oh, I was thinking that his eyes had a color that was different from usual, like he actually had blue eyes but today was wearing brown-colored contact lenses. I guess the context will be important here as to how the reader is supposed to interpret that sentence.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Yeah, hyphens are pretty important to indicate meaning. Just yesterday I had a little chuckle about a sentence like this, that was meant as a funny little one-liner, but ended up (to me) being funny in a non-intended way:

English teachers put more thought into the meaning of novels than the actual author ever did.

My thought reading that was 'What about American teachers?'

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
~~and annular heterochromatism, where one or both eyes had rings of different colors. Heterchromatism is the basic phenomenon.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
thanks!

I'm having trouble with 1 more sentence of mine.

I was thinking more of the lines of a nap.

I was thinking more on the lines of a nap.

More on the lines of a nap, or as Americans say, Along the lines of a nap.

Danika

Stuck in the middle with you
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Kenn here. The best way to write it is something like, "His left eye was blue, and his right eye was green."

Even if "different-colored" worked, it still doesn't give detail the read can, uh, see.

I second this. Or third. Or wherever I fall in line.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I second this. Or third. Or wherever I fall in line.

I third or fourth or whatever JAR's suggestion. It certainly heped me to understand the meaning of different colours (if that's what the OP meant in the first place) without thinking of the character as being a strange mutation.

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
Agh, I should have included the entire sentence when I posted it. Not sure why I chopped out some of the words, but it changed the context. The original sentence was:

"He had different color eyes than his mother"

or

"He had different colored eyes than his mother."

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
I would argue that the phrase should be "differently-colored".

But maybe better is something like: "His eyes were of a different color than his mother's: one blue and the other an emerald green."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

But maybe better is something like: "His eyes were of a different color than his mother's: one blue and the other an emerald green."

Yes, even better.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Agh, I should have included the entire sentence when I posted it. Not sure why I chopped out some of the words, but it changed the context. The original sentence was:

"He had different color eyes than his mother"

or

"He had different colored eyes than his mother."
I'm going to confuse things further by pointing out 'different than' is often frowned upon and 'different from' is less contentious. In Britain, 'different to' is also in common use. Personally, I think different than sounds strange.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to confuse things further by pointing out 'different than' is often frowned upon and 'different from' is less contentious. In Britain, 'different to' is also in common use. Personally, I think different than sounds strange.

I've seen it argued both ways.

He had different colored eyes than his mother [had].

Or

He had different colored eyes from [those of] his mother.

And some authorities seem to accept "different than" when used to compare a noun to a clause (rephrasing aside).

brianjanuary said:

Adverbs ending in ly don't need a hyphen.