RESPONSE TIME FROM AGENT

tim powell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a first-time novelist, and would truly appreciate input from veterans on the following issue: How often do you nudge/prod your agent?
I sent my agent my revised manuscript (incorporating his suggestions) last October (October 2011). She emailed me to say she was planning to submit after the holidays, so I let him be. I emailed her mid-January (2012) to follow up; she wrote back to say she's still not finished with reading my revision (although she said she's really loving what she's reading), and said further she's planning to submit in about 2 weeks.

It's past the 2 week point now; I emailed her end of last week to see where she is. No word yet.

Not sure if any of this is standard in the literary world; I don't want to annoy her & breach protocol by bugging too often--then again, I do want my book sold!

The agency, BTW, is a big & respected one, so the agent is legit.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my first question you already answered (have you checked the agent out), so onto the second. How big, exactly, is this agency? Are you stuck as a little fish in a big pond with an agent who has to dedicate most of her time to exceptionally well known authors?

The scenario you describe isn't just bizarre to me; I'd find it unacceptable. When I've got material in play, I contact my agent at least once a week, and she gets back to me within a day. I know some of the "biggest" agents out there will respond to their clients, or even general inquiries, within a half hour.

Email her again and see what's going on. She may not be as enthusiastic about the book as she was in the beginning. If that's the case, you need to know.

(btw - I'm a bit confused by your use of "she" when you say you "let HIM be". Do you have a specific agent at the agency, or just a general contract? If it's the second one - that's beyond weird. Check the agent/agency out again and make sure they're as legit as you think they are.)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'd call and see if you can get him/her on the phone. If not, maybe you can speak with a jr agent/assistant who may know what is going on.

Leave a voice mail message if you have to and then follow up in a couple of days.

Be very polite and professional and you should be fine.

tim powell

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input. I'm not happy at this wait, either. I think you're right about being a little fish in a big pond--and if she doesn't submit my book, I'll stay a little fish.

It's good to hear from people like you.
I meant "let her be" and mis-typed.
I'll send another email this week.

tim powell

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your support. I heard from my agent, & she'll be submitting to publishers hopefully this coming week. All's on track.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, and I'm glad you heard from your agent, but I have to say that your situation (the wait) sounds pretty common to me. Yes, she should get back to you when you ask a question, but lots of agents take more time than they think they will to get around to the book. Things come up, you know? As long as your agent does get back to you when you email, I wouldn't get too concerned.