physicists/mathematicians out there?

MariaL

Registered
Reaction score
Tenth dimension stuff. Plotting stage.

I have a ship of alien creatures plummeting into the ocean. I want to prevent certain 'energy' signatures of a few alien baddies returning to their ruler/creator (antagonist). (In this universe the ruler only 'captures' a timeline and all possible splits once its creature is dead.)

The energy signature is the dead alien's timeline (not thinking soul or consciousness here ) - say a probability wave carrying their fourth dimension timeline and all the splits into the fifth dimension.

1) Would a probability wave be able to carry the splits to different outcomes?

2) Could something like an electromagnetic pulse interrupt/break up the probability waves? I'm looking for a way for the hero to interrupt the process that sounds vaguely plausible!

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
This is so far on the edge of theoretical physics that it's basically all 'magic' anyhow. I would think if you were dealing with all this interdimensional stuff some sort of pulsed gravatonic emission might be more effective (presuming they had a way to create such a thing). Gravity at least bends the three dimensional space we know, so it can interact with the dimensions. I can't see how an EMP would really alter dimensional interaction in the way you're seeking.

That said, I'm no physicist, I just know a bit about it. Hopefully a real expert will come along and provide a better answer.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Tenth dimension stuff.
Is that M theory? Or does that have 11 dimensions? I forget. Depends on which strings you're pulling. See yesterday when I posted about the zany names of subatomic particles. All I know is thesedays it takes branes to be a physicist.
Plotting stage.

I have a ship of alien creatures plummeting into the ocean. I want to prevent certain 'energy' signatures of a few alien baddies returning to their ruler/creator (antagonist). (In this universe the ruler only 'captures' a timeline and all possible splits once its creature is dead.)

The energy signature is the dead alien's timeline (not thinking soul or consciousness here ) - say a probability wave carrying their fourth dimension timeline and all the splits into the fifth dimension.

1) Would a probability wave be able to carry the splits to different outcomes?

2) Could something like an electromagnetic pulse interrupt/break up the probability waves? I'm looking for a way for the hero to interrupt the process that sounds vaguely plausible!

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

This is so far on the edge of theoretical physics that it's basically all 'magic' anyhow.
I know enough to concur with this.
I would think if you were dealing with all this interdimensional stuff some sort of pulsed gravatonic emission might be more effective (presuming they had a way to create such a thing). Gravity at least bends the three dimensional space we know, so it can interact with the dimensions. I can't see how an EMP would really alter dimensional interaction in the way you're seeking.

That said, I'm no physicist, I just know a bit about it. Hopefully a real expert will come along and provide a better answer.
I suspect the needed device has already been described in the movies literature. This video points out several high-tech components, no doubt one of them can capture those nasty probability waves and convert them into clean, pure photons, sort of like a cosmic catalytic converter. It's all in the minute or so starting around 30 seconds:
The Robot Champion of DARPA's Urban Challenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lULl63ERek0

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
Physicist here. But I agree with the above comment that what you're describing is basically magic. It's so far remote and speculative that it's not worth trying to put real theories on top of it.

I will say something about this part, though:

Electromagnetic waves only propagate in four dimensions (three spatial and time). I'd have a problem believing that you could disrupt multidimensional signal with just EM.

But that's just me. I'd have a problem with it because I know Maxwell's equations. :) Most of your readers probably wouldn't blink at that bit, so go ahead and use that explanation if it works best for your story. You are not writing 'hard' science fiction. Allow yourself to handwave a little if it makes the story better.

MariaL

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Can't decide if my genre is sci-fi, or science fantasy. I'm not calling it magic, so looking for scientific terms and rules to create my world.

Yes M theory.

I just looked up gravitons and got the impression there aren't many of them around?? Although there is a theory that gravity is weak because they leak out the branes into a higher dimension or something like that. I see Star Trek used some sort of gravitonic pulse thing so might try to avoid that.

You are not writing 'hard' science fiction. Allow yourself to handwave a little if it makes the story better.

I'm going to take my question into the brainstorming area. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6988663#post6988663

Thanks again for advice!

Last edited: