PDA

View Full Version : Amazon opening physical bookstores?

MysteryRiter
02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Just saw this (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/06/10331220-amazon-reportedly-looking-at-opening-retail-stores)article. And the Amazon takeover of the world continues... Thoughts?

Medievalist
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
It's pretty much what I've been hearing for the last two years.

Wouldn't surprise me, either way.

James D. Macdonald
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Shoot, didn't anyone tell Amazon that the physical bookstore is dead and that within five years printed books won't exist any more?

thothguard51
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
According to the article, Amazon is going to open a retail store in Seattle as a test to see if retail book stores can be profitable selling Amazon's growing list of imprints and kindle devices.

Investors are already skittish about Amazons profit margins. We all know Amazon sells their Kindles at a loss. I can't see them doing that in a retail store and having to pay employee salary, benefits, retail space, insurance, utilities, advertising, shipping to the store and returns, and still make a profit. Well, at lease they will not have to pay themselves for shelf space, display table, end caps or window displays. That might be an advantage in keeping pricing low...

Of course there is the tax issue as well, which people shopping on line don't have to pay right now. But in two years, Amazon will be charging taxes in some states and so they might be figuring that one of their advantages is gone, especially if you add shipping fees as well.

Personally, I feel like this is a gamble on Amazon's future beyond the net and an admission that people still want physical books.

kenthepen
02-07-2012, 08:03 AM
What kind of mortar does one use with ebricks? And will avatars be manning the sales counters?

It occurs to me that Amazon is participating in physical book sales only so the fascists have something to burn. . . . . . .

Medievalist
02-07-2012, 08:33 AM
There were fairly real sounding "rumors" last fall about Amazon attempting to buy B and N's stores--beginning with the campus bookstores owned/managed by B N

And Amazon did absolutely sit down and test the waters for independently owned campus stores in 2005.

Chase
02-07-2012, 09:06 AM
It occurs to me that Amazon is participating in physical book sales only so the fascists have something to burn.

This is hogwash. No one burns books anymore. Everyone knows neoFascists have gone green. Books are dissolved in pulp vats, ink bled off for reuse, and everything is recycled into manifestos.

Medievalist
02-07-2012, 09:08 AM
This is hogwash. No one burns books anymore. Everyone knows neoFascists have gone green. Books are dissolved in pulp vats, ink bled off for resuse, and everything is recycled into manifestos.

I like to smoke 'em.

kenthepen
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
That's what they say for public consumption. They secretly burn greenies in coal-burning power plants.

heyjude
02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
“It reminds people that Amazon is out there,” he said.

Really? We needed that reminder?

bearilou
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Really? We needed that reminder?

I'm sorry...what does Amazon do again?

Phaeal
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Bearilou, keep up. They've started a new pet-cloning service and a low-fat cupcake franchise.

Sheryl Nantus
02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a reaction to the "we won't stock *your* books" announcements from B&N and Books-a-Million.

What'll be interesting is if they do open them up and have to actually run stores. Maybe they'll even have real people behind the counter and everything...

:D

KathleenD
02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
...an admission that people still want physical books.

Well, they probably knew that, since they know better than anyone else exactly how many they sell.

Diana_Rajchel
02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
From the sounds of it, pop-up Amazon bookstores might make a lot more sense from Amazon's perspective.

heyjude
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry...what does Amazon do again?

Conquer the world. :rolleyes:

jjdebenedictis
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Investors are already skittish about Amazons profit margins. We all know Amazon sells their Kindles at a loss. I have to wonder how much of Amazon's predatory business culture came from having spent so many years hemorrhaging cash. The investors must have eventually become quite strident about the company making money by any means necessary.