Two deliberate sentences in dialogue

rich_cheese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blabr.co.uk
Apologies if this is incorrectly posted. I wasn't sure if this should be here or beginners.

I've got a line of dialogue, which needs some context. The main character has forced an opponent into defeat, and now says something to them. The offending line :

"Nakamura." she said. "You know why we're here."
What I wanted to emphasise is a slightly longer pause between the 'Nakamura' part and the 'You know why we're here.' - without using alternative dialogue tags. I figured the best approach was two distinctive sentences to the dialogue, but curious to find out if this is 'correct' or not, and if so, why not?

tmesis

bibbidi bobbidi boo
Registered
Reaction score
"Nakamura." she said. "You know why we're here."

The example is incorrect for the somewhat baffling reason that it's not permitted to use a full stop before the tag, even though it's perfectly acceptable to use an exclamation mark or question mark, both of which usually function in the same way as a period (i.e. they end a sentence, although of course they have different nuances):

Incorrect: "Nakamura." she said. "You know why we're here."
Correct: "Nakamura!" she said. "You know why we're here."
Correct: "Nakamura?" she said. "You know why we're here."
Correct: "Nakamura," she said. "You know why we're here."
Correct: "Nakamura." She paused. "You know why we're here."
Correct: "Nakamura," she said, "you know why we're here."

I'd probably use the first comma option. Someone else might provide a better alternative.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of an alternative dialogue tag, perhaps you should split the two statements with a line of short action.

"Nakamura." She inclined her head - a mock salutation. "You know why we're here."

Or some such.

I don't think it's "wrong" the way you have it, though.

rich_cheese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blabr.co.uk
From what I understand, if I had:

"Nakamura." she said.

on it's own, it's correct. Maybe I don't fully understand the grammar rules for the next part, but maybe I'll just bite the bullet and put a comma in it.

Part of the problem is, that the way I see it, there is no action between the two sentences, just a moment of silence for the effect. Dramatic licence, I guess. Thanks for the offers and suggestions, it helps to learn!

rich_cheese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blabr.co.uk
Gah! Forgot about that - should really proof-read what I post.

"Nakamura," she said.

I've got an 11k first draft I have to find these things in, I guess that'll reinforce the correct way. (!)

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, if I had:

"Nakamura." she said.

on it's own, it's correct. Maybe I don't fully understand the grammar rules for the next part, but maybe I'll just bite the bullet and put a comma in it.
~~Ah, well, no. 1) It's 'Nakamura(COMMA), she said. ~~the conventions do not permit the use of the period while permitting the question mark and exclamation point, which are also full stops. It's not logical, it's just the way it is. 2) It's not it's own, it's its own. It's correct is correct. 'Its' is like 'his', a possessive pronoun. 'It's', sometimes formerly written 'it 's', with the space between the two words, is a contraction, and the apostrophe shows where the omitted 'i' went. It does not indicate the possessive form.
Despite what some texts say, punctuation does NOT indicate pauses. You have to do that manually.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You can't use a period before a non-capitalized letter. Doing so doesn't add length to the pause, anyway. The pause is exactly the same with a comma. It's the "she said" that gives length.

Just punctuate it correctly and write, "Nakamura," she said. "You know why we're here."

rich_cheese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blabr.co.uk
You can't use a period before a non-capitalized letter. Doing so doesn't add length to the pause, anyway. The pause is exactly the same with a comma. It's the "she said" that gives length.

Just punctuate it correctly and write, "Nakamura," she said. "You know why we're here."

And that's what I'm doing. Just wanted to clarify that, not anything else. Thanks.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
In this case I would use a short action tag to make sure the reader understands the pause.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
"Nakamura," she said. "You know why we're here."

Seems to me that's perfect. You don't have to say there's a pause; we feel the pause. That's one use of a dialogue tag.