Just heard Lenny Cohen's new song, 'Going Home'.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like Cohen's songs... as long as somebody else sings them.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw him a year or two ago, doing an outdoor concert in a vineyard in country Australia. Hadn't been a fan before then (I save most of my trembling adoration for Cecilia Bartoli and her lot) though I'd liked the couple of songs I had heard: but oh! that concert! I left in a state of spineless, weak-kneed devotion.

In the strictest sense, maybe he can't sing for nuts - but god he can perform. His musicality is second to none.

And his lyrics have really won me over, too.

*sigh*

Come back to us, Leonard! We miss you...

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I've never seen him live, just heard the recordings. Perhaps I shall have to take my dad to a concert the next time Cohen's in town if the performance is that good.

Isn't it strange how some performers can completely transcend their own recordings by sheer presence?

ETA: I bought the new cd for my dad two days ago. He's been a fan for years.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it strange how some performers can completely transcend their own recordings by sheer presence?

That's exactly it. I was so surprised - I'd never experienced it before. It must be a very rare ability.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love a bit of Leonard. Not heard the new stuff yet as I am waiting for the right dark night and the requisite amount of booze. :)

Still, I do have something to say about the below ...

In the strictest sense, maybe he can't sing for nuts.

Well, now. I'd say the man can sing. He kinda dances (or should that be stumbles) around a melody. His voice is something akin to Gods (mainly because Cohen is a God) and there often isn't anything more tuneful than an old man with a glint in his eye whispering truths at you. For me, that's a singer.

I especially like the description of him -- by an English Comedian whose name I forget -- who said (and I paraphrase) 'he is, perhaps, the greatest singing comedian' and then quoted the line ...

I was born like this, I had no choice. I was born with the gift of a golden voice - Tower of Song

Okay, I admit it -- maybe the old codger can't sing, but goddamn can that man sing!

I done just made a paradox! :)