Town Car or town car?

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
My crit partner questioned whether I should capitalize Town Car. I thought it was a brand name, i.e. Lincoln Town Car, but my little insta-computer dictionary has town car listed as a synonym for limousine. Which is it? My brain, it hurts.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's both. It's a Lincoln model, and it's a name for a type of chauffeur-driven car that was made back in the 20s and 30s.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, iit depends on whether it is the Lincoln model or the type of car. Caps for the Lincoln.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Lincoln Town Car doesn't leave my driver out in the elements as a proper town car should.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We don't know the context, but:

If you don't specify that it's a Lincoln Town Car, why say "town car" at all? Does it really matter to your story what make and model of car it is? Does it matter to your POV character, if you have one? If you wish to specify an expensive car, the name "Lincoln" would suffice.

caw

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ambri. Please take the following as one opinion only. It's your story, you get to decide.

In 1990, a lady driving a Lincoln Town Car ran a red light, hit and severely injured my mom (also totaling my mom's car), emerged unscathed, drove away from the scene of the accident in that Town Car, then later said the accident was unfair to her because she'd bought her Town Car brand-new from the nice dealer 2 whole months ago, Your Honor!

Meanwhile my mom, who had been driving the beloved '79 Grand Prix she'd owned for over a decade, fought for her life for a week in a hospital bed before the doctors finally told us things were looking up. I was 16.

Definitely capitalize Town Car, is my opinionated vote.

ETA: Just read this over and realized how bitter I sound, which was a surprise to me. I was unaware how much resentment for this lady still lives rent-free in my head. Which is my issue to deal with, not yours, and I shouldn't have brought it into your thread.

I'm so sorry I stomped on your thread, Ambri. Take my 'vote' above with a grain of salt, since apparently I'm not exactly objective about this subject. :eek:

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since Ambri 's question is most likely answered to her satisfaction, how 'bout the outcome of your Town Car versus Grand Prix horror story?

I hope and pray your mom was soon all right with no lingering aftereffects.

I trust Lady Town Car paid for her arrogance. Hit and run often seems the first action of those drunk or rich. Perhaps she was both?

I wish I'd been a mouse in the corner of the jury box when she offered her excuse.