What was your favorite SOS contribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No favorite. Lots of very good stories.

shelagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Do you want an honest reply? Or one that would put me in a better light?

If I chose a favourite that wasn't my own, it would devalue my contribution. Mine is my favourite, not because it is the best, but because it means the most to me -- it means that I did something to help others and it motivates me in a way that the rest don't.

My second favourite is by every other contributor, because they cared enough to contribute.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot pick a favourite, and that is the truth. There are so many that reach me in so many different ways. Doug Setter's account of his time spent in Croatia in "Peacekeeper's Coffee", Richard Cobbett's "Atlas Slouched" are two that particularly resonated with me, but every contribution has something that says, "yes, this belongs here."

I also echo Shelagh's musings about one's own contribution. My story "Breaking the Ice" will forever be the most meaningful thing I've ever written, because it is the first of my fiction to see print, and because it is part of such an awesome project. I will never forget what it felt like when I got home last week, checked the answering machine, and heard the pride in my daughter's voice when she told me my story had brought a tear to her eye. I have never received a greater gift.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
My favorite keeps changing-- obviously I love them all or they wouldn't be in there, but there are about 10 that I love best. Diane's "Gone Fishing" cracks me up every time, Barb's "One of Grandma's Sweet Lessons" hits home for me, Matt's "The Shrine" is just gorgeous, Sharon's "Addictions Conquered" gives me hope, Ken's "Blizzards and Friends" makes me feel warm inside, Charlie's "Breaking the Ice" is so well-drawn that I thought it was a true story, Amy's "The Wonderful Transformation of the Library Troll" brings me back to childhood humor... hmm... wait, maybe there are more than 10. Maybe there are 105. :)

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Three contributions spring to mind, listed in the order they occurred to me.

1) Lulu's contribution - thanks for waiving the profits lulu, that meant each book earns 25% more than otherwise would have, and more than that gave real legitimacy to the whole project.

2) Jenna's contribution - I'm not talking about the writing, I'm talking about the sleep-depriving and caffeine-exposing effort of co-ordinating the whole shebang.

3) The cover art - thanks to the photographer!! Beautiful books are easier to sell than ugly ones!

Hmmm... I've thought of a few more

4) Macallister, for reading the <number varies from article to article> submissions.

Favourite written contribution? When I read the book I wasn't really looking at it in those terms, so to fairly answer the question I'd have to re-read the book and I just don't have time for that right now. (it's a good get-out, I love it when truth provides one of those!!!)

Lady K'Lyssia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.klyssia.com
Here's an idea pick a favorite out of each section of the book. Then pick your overall favorite. Between my other writing commitments this past month and job hunting I haven't had a chance to read everything yet. Hope to do so soon.

LieselGarmach

Registered
Reaction score
I was so pleased that we went as long as we did without a thread like this. I was hoping it wouldn't ever happen. I definitely won't be able to look at the book the same again, and I can only hope no one else feels the way I do as I write this post.

Yes, there were definitely some pieces that were better written than others. All of them, however, were chosen because they created a whole that was by far better than the sum of each of the parts. The entire project has a synergy that projects positivity wherever the books find themselves.

There's no way I'd want to single out any one of the contributions as my favorite. I appreciate the effort everyone made, the spirit in which the contributions were solicited and made, and the fact that we got it accomplished as quickly as we did.

Turning it into a popularity contest is demeaning and doesn't seem to fit with the original intention.

But then again, I've been known to be wrong before.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
I was so pleased that we went as long as we did without a thread like this. I was hoping it wouldn't ever happen. I definitely won't be able to look at the book the same again, and I can only hope no one else feels the way I do as I write this post.

You won't be able to look at the book the same???....I hope this post was made as a joke.

Turning it into a popularity contest is demeaning and doesn't seem to fit with the original intention.

Popularity Contest?? Is there a prize at the end? Asking if anyone had a favorite doesn't demean anything and has nothing to do with the orginal intention.

Next time there is a "What is your favorite book?" thread, will they be demeaning those books?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I care about this project deeply and some of your comments about an innocent thread (apparently directed at me, the thread starter) were out of line and made no sense.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yeah, I agree. This was not meant to demean lesser writers, or to highlight one story over another. Although I could not participate in this publication, I wished I had, now that I see some of the mentions of it. Just reading this thread is like a little trip down memory lane, even for me, who's not in there...sniff...sniff.

These are fond memories of a project that was completely unselfish, scripted by a group of people who represent the best of what AW stands for--compassion, understanding, and love for their fellow human beings. Instead of doing nothing, Jenna said, "We're GOING to do something about this." And AW did not himhaw about it, they acted swiftly.

This is the second publication I've missed out on as a group effort. I just got off my keester and contributed to a third, and now I will forever officially see myself as one who has ceremoniously taken the blood oath and joined the club house of my sisters and brothers in AW.

Great work to all of you!

Tri

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
LieselGarmach said:

I disagree about it being demeaning, for two reasons: first, nobody's demeaning any contribution, merely talking about the ones they liked the most. Second, Chunky's post mentioned mine, therefore I approve on moral and religious grounds, and deploy the dancing banana of celebration. :banana:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
You know, I'm still reading my SOS copy. I read one or two stories a day -- and in no particular order -- so I don't get overloaded on "feel-good". I've read about half of them so far, and each day I read my coupla stories and say to myself, "Damn, that was good."

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I am done reading them all I intend to post the one or ones that are most meaningful to me. It will be meant as a tribute to one, not as a degredation to others. I wish i had the time to review each and every contribution as each one deserves a tribute and move me in certain different ways.

Besides, mine is the best!

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
I wouldn't find it demeaning. Some stories will have more meaning to the individual than others but I think the timing for this thread is off... It feels like reminiscing after a book has finished its run and this book's run has just started.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LieselGarmach said:
I appreciate the effort everyone made, the spirit in which the contributions were solicited and made, and the fact that we got it accomplished as quickly as we did.

This is true and I agree in it being a united effort filled with beautiful spirit. All stories and poetry are wonderful to read.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. I think we should take 'favourite' to mean 'which one you personally liked the best for whatever reason.' I'm pretty darn sure that's what Chris meant. Nobody here is trying to say any one contribution was better than another. They just touch each of us in different ways.

For example: I mentioned Doug's 'Peacekeeper's Coffee.' Like all the contributions, it was well written. But it had a particular resonance for me because my brother was in the Canadian military, and so I identified with it.

I echo the statement above that Stories of Strength is greater than the sum of its parts. If any one piece of it were missing, it would be diminished.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that some stories will resonate more with some people--hence we will have our favorites we will return to again and again. Some stories, I think, will strike more people than other stories because they call to a more universal theme. I don't think it has anything to do with how well-written a story is, necessarily--we all have our different voices, and I think the book has a great harmony to it.

That being said, my favorite is Frank's "The Plate." It's so short, yet for me, it's the most powerful essay in the book. Maybe because I just identify well with that sense of being overwhelmed. Also--because of my bouts w/ depression, I've put my husband through those same horrible times of uncertainty that Frank mentioned. I like the freshness he was able to bring to such an iconic picture we all have identified with. It's an essay I know I'll always carry with me.

But I haven't read a story, essay, or poem yet that I felt didn't belong.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have not read all of the book as yet. I have read the stories by those who I know better than others here at A.W.

My story is not my favorite, I wrote it, like it, but I was there, and it doesn't thrill me like a fresh read.

All the stories I've read have tugged at me in one way or another, and that is what they are meant to do.

I don't think I'll ever have a favorite, each thime I read a story it becomes my favorite.

They are all special to me.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Liesel, I do understand your initial reaction-- and it was for those same reasons that I didn't start a similar thread earlier. BUT what surprised and delighted me was that when reviewers started reviewing it, or I got letters from friends who've read it, they always mentioned different stories as their favorites.

In other words, there's no "best" and "worst" here-- hence, no popularity contest. Different stories and poems hit home with people for different reasons. I don't think there's anything wrong with honoring the writers who moved you or entertained you most; I feel a surge of pride for all of us when any of the pieces are mentioned in reviews... just shows that our words have been meaningful and memorable to someone who's never even met us. Pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.