Status
Not open for further replies.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RWA, Romance Writers of America, is probably the biggest writer's assocation in the galaxy. RWI, Romance Writers Ink, is a chapter of RWA. RWI hosts the annual More Than Magic book competition, a literary award for romance books published the previous year.

TAke a look at what the contest rules say this year:
– Note: MTM will no longer accept same-sex entries in any category.
Why? Bigotry. Just plain, nasty bigotry.
Several members <of Rainbow Romance Writers> have emailed to ask why the change; one member got a reply. She was told it was a hard decision, but some members of the chapter felt “uncomfortable” with same-sex entries.

And it makes RWI's claim about "fair competition" pretty flipping hypocritical:
OUR JUDGES:
Our judges are all romance readers. Within that group are RWI chapter members and members of other RWA chapters. We recruit judges nationwide and even worldwide (for e-books) and our only requirement is that they are regular romance readers.
They tell us which categories and what “heat” level they prefer to read, so our entrants’ books get into the hands of people who might give them the most favorable rating.
Our final round judges are chosen for the diversity of their romance reading interests and enjoyment, sense of fair comparison across all categories, and knowledge of the romance genre.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I don't even know what to say to that. Thanks for posting.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There's now a petition available if anyone is interested in signing it.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Dude. I'm not a fan of romance, but that's just not cool.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I think it sucks that the chapter in question made that decision. While I know that RWA has a history of excluding (same-sex romance, e-published romance, etc.) this is just a single chapter. Doesn't make it right that they've made this decision, but it isn't the entire RWA.

My local chapter (New England) also hosts an annual contest. When I told the coordinator I wanted to enter one of my M/M romance novels this year, she was thrilled. She told me she has a number of judges who "love" reading M/M. After I brought it up, she added a place on the entry form to note whether an entry's same-sex or not so she could make sure those entries were given to judges who wanted to read them, and that hetero entries were given to judges who wanted to read those.

Hopefully RWI will get enough flak from this that they'll change their stance on the matter. If not, I can foresee them losing members, along with the national organization.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, sadly. Just before I dropped my membership (2006ish), National sent out a ballot to vote for whether or not same sex Romances would be included in their official definition, or it would remain het. The vote came back overwhelmingly for het-only definition.

Always seemed to me that the RWA is always a day-late-and-a-dollar short when keeping up with what their readership is really interested in.

The chapters are often restricted by National's rules, especially when dealing outside of their own chapter. I was the coordinator for a couple of RWA chapter contests, back in the day, and whenever drawing on judges from outside the chapter (which was needed when a contest got popular), it's more politics and National's rules always win out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes National another 5-10 years before it accepts same sex Romances, if that soon. *sad*

JustJas

Registered
Reaction score
That's very disappointing in this day and age. I hope enough people boycott the chapter to show that this discrimination isn't acceptable.

KimJo's coordinator had the right approach: Give same-sex romances to judges who are happy to read them, don't ban the entire genre.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't right at all.

Let all kinds of romance in and give them to readers who aren't "uncomfortable" to judge. Many het folks like myself have no problem reading and enjoying same sex romance. The key word being romance,in case they don't understand. I want to see Jill and Tracy or Mike and Tom have their HEA just as much as I do with Tony and Michelle. With plenty of angst,of course. I enjoy that sort of thing.

Absolute bullshit and insulting to writers and fans alike.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
About the time I think maybe it would be good to join RWA they do something I can't stomach.

At this point it's a specific chapter, not the national group, that won't allow GLBT romance. The national awards (RITA, Golden Heart) do allow same-sex entries.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
At this point it's a specific chapter, not the national group, that won't allow GLBT romance. The national awards (RITA, Golden Heart) do allow same-sex entries.

If that specific chapter disallowed multi-cultural stories, no one would be saying "it's just a local chapter". If the national chapter won't step in and say that discrimination isn't tolerated, they're just as culpable!

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
If that specific chapter disallowed multi-cultural stories, no one would be saying "it's just a local chapter". If the national chapter won't step in and say that discrimination isn't tolerated, they're just as culpable!

Thing is, though, the national organization has yet to respond. The person who responded isn't the one who makes RWA policy--that's the Board of Directors, who have acknowledged the issue and said they're going to discuss it at the next board meeting. I personally am waiting to hear an official response from RWA before I make any decisions.

sickmuse

Don't blink. Don't even blink.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I don't even know what to say to that. I mean I personally don't write M/M, but I wouldn't want to see M/M writers excluded from the competition. That's just sad. Maybe they'll reverse their decision.

Where does it say that it's specifically m/m romance they're targeting??? Could you please point me to this information? I also feel pretty discriminated against by this policy as a lesbian who writes lesbian romance, and it's frustrating to see people get up in arms about the exclusion of gay men but not gay women. If there's some reason why people are focusing so much on the m/m versus f/f, I'd really like to know about it for my blood pressure's sake. =/

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Where does it say that it's specifically m/m romance they're targeting??? Could you please point me to this information? I also feel pretty discriminated against by this policy as a lesbian who writes lesbian romance, and it's frustrating to see people get up in arms about the exclusion of gay men but not gay women. If there's some reason why people are focusing so much on the m/m versus f/f, I'd really like to know about it for my blood pressure's sake. =/

They're (by which I mean the RWI chapter) not specifically targeting m/m, and I personally am getting really pissed off that so many people are making it sound this way. The contest rules clearly state that they will "no longer accept same-sex entries in any category."

Mexican Heat, which is m/m, won first place in this same chapter's contest in 2010, so this is a complete about-face for the chapter.

Speaking as a queer member of RWA, I'm getting more and more pissed of at the people who are trying to say "this isn't about people, it's about books." No, it IS about people. If a whole chapter says they won't read same-sex contest entries, what happens if a queer writer shows up as a new member?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score

From my perspective, I'm focusing on m/m because it's what I write. Selfish, or at least self-centred. And probably that's why others are focusing on it, too. There's more m/m writers than f/f, I think.

But of course this is just as egregious for f/f writers. Or maybe even more so, since I think a lot of f/f writers are actually lesbian and may feel personally excluded, while many m/m writers are straight and only have professional stakes in this.

Sorry if I contributed to your high blood pressure.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
From my perspective, I'm focusing on m/m because it's what I write. Selfish, or at least self-centred. And probably that's why others are focusing on it, too. There's more m/m writers than f/f, I think.

But of course this is just as egregious for f/f writers. Or maybe even more so, since I think a lot of f/f writers are actually lesbian and may feel personally excluded, while many m/m writers are straight and only have professional stakes in this.

Sorry if I contributed to your high blood pressure.

Well, as a lesbian who writes lesbian romance, I'm pretty damn pissed off at some members of the m/m community for making this a m/m issue and continuing to say that "m/m entries" are being excluded rather than saying "same sex entries" or "GLBT entries."

I'm even more pissed off at a well-known author on the PAN mailing list (RWA's special published authors group) who told everyone to calm down because we're talking about product here, books, not people. She actually had the balls to say that, like a group of people saying "we think same-sex romance is yucky" doesn't translate into "and we don't want any queers in our group." Add that author to my list of people whose books I'll never buy.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I signed the petition as a person who supports the GBLT community rather than as an author who writes m/m romance.

This isn't just about writing or books, it's about yet another attempt to marginalise an entire community. I hope the RWA give this branch a slap, I really do.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I signed as a supporter of the LGBT community as well.

This isn't right and I agree with Firedrake.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Ugh, this whole thing... >.<

I said my piece on my blog (that'll get interesting when my family reads it, seeing as they don't know...erm...certain things about me).

Ironically, I was thinking of joining RWA last week, and had some extra money I could have used. I decided to go play video poker instead. Money well spent, I say.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, this whole thing... >.<

I said my piece on my blog (that'll get interesting when my family reads it, seeing as they don't know...erm...certain things about me).

Ironically, I was thinking of joining RWA last week, and had some extra money I could have used. I decided to go play video poker instead. Money well spent, I say.

*hugs* That was a really awesome blog post, and made me emotional, especially that last bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.