PDA

View Full Version : Milk floats

seun
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Strange question of the day: when's the last time anyone saw a milk float? Do they still exist?

There is a reason for this odd question. Snow is forecast for much of the UK later today and my wife made a comment earlier about enjoying walking through snow after dark. This reminded me of doing just that years ago on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. I was about 18 and had been round a friend's house. It turned into a VERY late night, I walked home through the snow and saw a milk float. I'm pretty sure that was the last time I saw one - 16 years ago. Can anyone beat that?

firedrake
02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I nearly t-boned one in Wootton Bassett a few months ago. I wasn't paying attention at a mini-roundabout. But that's the only one I've seen in the 14 months I've been back in the UK.

seun
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I nearly t-boned one in Wootton Bassett a few months ago. I wasn't paying attention at a mini-roundabout. But that's the only one I've seen in the 14 months I've been back in the UK.

It could have been the same one I saw. Fifteen or so years to get from here to Wootton Bassett sounds about right for a milk float. :D

firedrake
02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Ha! It could well have been :D

clockwork
02-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I saw one in London last week, but it was being used by two guys collecting rubbish bags from dumpsters, so it wasn't really as heart-warming as seeing pints of Dairy Crest being dropped off on doorsteps. :(

Priene
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
They're like shotgun-wielding farmers and religious hermits. The further away from towns, the most like you'll find them. I see one in my village sometimes, though he's never tried to sign us up. I think maybe our family hasn't been in the county enough generations to qualify.

seun
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I saw one in London last week, but it was being used by two guys collecting rubbish bags from dumpsters, so it wasn't really as heart-warming as seeing pints of Dairy Crest being dropped off on doorsteps. :(

My cockles are distinctly unwarmed by this story. ;)

They're like shotgun-wielding farmers and religious hermits. The further away from towns, the most like you'll find them. I see one in my village sometimes, though he's never tried to sign us up. I think maybe our family hasn't been in the county enough generations to qualify.

He probably thinks you're city slickers who've come with new fangled ideas and strange ways.

Priene
02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
He probably thinks you're city slickers who've come with new fangled ideas and strange ways.

Well, my mum and dad were Geordies.

Maryn
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Could one of you explain to me what "milk float" is? I was envisioning something involving milk and ice cream...

Maryn, thinking that sounds pretty good

DoctorK
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Could one of you explain to me what "milk float" is? I was envisioning something involving milk and ice cream...

That's what I was thinking too...

Priene
02-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Could one of you explain to me what "milk float" is?

It's a hydrogen balloon with a big tap that dispenses milk onto the landscape below. Villagers hurl up shilling notes and farthings and catch the liquid in big buckets.

clockwork
02-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Maryn, thinking that sounds pretty good

It's one'a these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90BduGKuTo

Shakesbear
02-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I am never up early enough to see a milk float. Though I doubt if they could operate where I live. They were used when I lived in Stratford-upon-Avon and I can remember the strange noise they made.

scarletpeaches
02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Why does this thread make me think of Father Ted?

BunnyMaz
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
They still come around. While I was working I had my milk delivered by them. You can set an account up online with them, these days. They deliver allsorts.

crunchyblanket
02-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Why does this thread make me think of Father Ted?

Those women were in the nip!

BenPanced
02-05-2012, 06:06 AM
They still come around. While I was working I had my milk delivered by them. You can set an account up online with them, these days. They deliver allsorts.
Eww. Allsorts? I hate licorice!

Cella
02-05-2012, 06:31 AM
...so does milk float, or not?

Mac H.
02-05-2012, 06:46 AM
...so does milk float, or not?It depends on the type of milk, as well as temperature.

Some have a specific density below water and some above.

(Who recently had to look it up for a project)

Mac

Cliff Face
02-05-2012, 08:13 AM
I would've thought modern milk floats were just a front for a nation-wide drug ring...

(Actually, until I read this thread I was with Maryn, thinking it was some sort of milkshake-like drink, milk and icecream floating in it.)

gregwa
02-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I had the same reaction, Cliff. In Rhode Island, we enjoy a thing called a "cabinet," which is an ice-cream float of some variety.

I think it even has milk in it.

Cliff Face
02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I know I've heard of a root-beer float, probably coming from America.

I don't like root beer, so I've not bothered to try one. But I have had ice cream in a milkshake before. Very nice.

seun
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Bloody Colonial types coming into my my thread with their new fangled ideas regarding ice cream drinks.

And allsorts are gross.

firedrake
02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Root beer floats are an abomination.

I don't mind Allsorts apart from the ones that are a solid chunk of burnt-rubber.

Cliff Face
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Licorice Allsorts, huh? They're not my favourite... I prefer the big beltstraps of licorice that have a bit more character to them.

scarletpeaches
02-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I only eat red liquorice.

seun
02-05-2012, 05:42 PM
You know the 'where do you get your ideas from?' question? I can now add a rambling thread about milk floats to my list of answers.

seun, with a new story idea thanks to a rambling thread about milk floats.

gregwa
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Bloody Colonial types coming into my my thread with their new fangled ideas regarding ice cream drinks.

I just did a quick physical check, and cannot find any blood on my body. Did I cut myself shaving?

And as I recall, we're no longer a colony. Haven't been for a few years now.

And you wrote "my" twice. Is that new-fangled English?

seun
02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
And you wrote "my" twice. Is that new-fangled English?

Yes. Yes.

:D

shakeysix
02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
wtf?

seun
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
wtf?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_float

Maryn
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Ah, now I get it. We call 'em milk trucks, or maybe dairy trucks. When I was a kid, nearly every household got their milk and similar goods (butter, sour cream, eggs) from the milkman, and most had a bread man who drove a bakery truck as well.

Then some fool decided women could drive themselves instead of letting the mister take the car to the office. The world changed.

Maryn, whose city has at least one milk truck company, but no bakery trucks

Archerbird
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
"Yes, I want a milk float and a sandwich".

backslashbaby
02-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I couldn't imagine seeing a milkman nowadays! How cool is that?

Don't tell me y'all still have ice men, too :D ?

I do get very excited when I see 'the ice-cream man' and his truck. They don't stop for adults in cars, though. Pfffft.

HJW
02-05-2012, 10:06 PM
They still exist, I have my milk delivered by one.

gregwa
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
If Eugene O'Neill had been British, perhaps he'd have written The Milkman Floateth.

John R. Gambit
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Yeah, me too. But the story of the transients and the dumpster dispelled that. I'm kinda scared now.

It's a hydrogen balloon with a big tap that dispenses milk onto the landscape below. Villagers hurl up shilling notes and farthings and catch the liquid in big buckets.

What? Hang on, lemme get my weed. Okay, go ahead.

...so does milk float, or not?

I'm pretty confident there is no actual floating milk at this point. It's like they're speaking some funny version of English.

And allsorts are gross.

Don't get lippy with us Redcoat. It's not our fault you're all talking in some strange, cryptic dialect.

Ah, now I get it. We call 'em milk trucks, or maybe dairy trucks.

This whole thing has been about dairy trucks?! Then where did this floating term come into play? This is why your government doesn't allow you to possess firearms. You'd probably run around calling them nana sticks or something even if you had access.

backslashbaby
02-15-2012, 11:14 PM
They still exist, I have my milk delivered by one.

How cool! Are you in the UK or US (or elsewhere)?

I was teasing about the ice man, but my grandmother really remembered all of that. I still have a coal shoot in my house (her old house). They had coal and ice delivered, and neighbors generally made the milk right up until you could buy it in the stores :)

BeatrixKiddo
02-16-2012, 01:39 AM

That's good to know, otherwise I would have had to ask if this was more :brit I'm not familiar with. Oh, those Brits and their silly milk floats! Tee hee!

Now instead I can say, oh those Brits and their silly hydrogen balloons that dispense milk into big buckets!