PDA

View Full Version : 1st Cover Design--opinions please?

Calle Jay
02-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm going to self-pub my romantic suspense in April and am designing many, many possible covers. Part of the story takes place in the woods. Here's the first try at a cover (I'm a graphic designer and have done some covers before). What do you all think? (I've tried to make the image a bit smaller, but my computer is freezing up randomly at the moment...)

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i473/Calle_Jaye/scaledwatchingcover4.jpg

veinglory
02-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Pretty good but I think you could bump up the brightness and contrast just a tad. The font is the major focus point, but the face (esp. eyes) should be more than a background too--they should also function as a design element.

Gale Haut
02-04-2012, 12:12 AM
It's a romance without a naked torso on the cover... Is that wise?

Calle Jay
02-04-2012, 12:25 AM
LOL. It's a romantic suspense.

So bump up the brightness/contrast and make the eyes more of a focal point?

Sam K.
02-04-2012, 12:40 AM
This is good but I'd suggest making the font smaller - right now looking at it makes me feel like I'm being punched in the face with the author's name.

Also, for the shadow on the title, perhaps move the shadow closer to the word. Right now it looks a little off.

Gale Haut
02-04-2012, 02:41 AM
It bothers me that the cover is so gray. Couldn't you at least color the eyes. That would also bring a lot more focus to the eyes.

Calle Jay
02-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks everybody! I'm going to try a few more things, and I'm not publishing until April, so I'll probably try a few things before now and then.