hyperlinks?

Sherrie Cronin

imagining doing the impossible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
Has anyone out there done much with embedding hyperlinks in an e-book? I know it is possible with Kindle (or at least with Kindle Fire) but wonder how well it works in practice and in other platforms. Any help appreciated.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I have hyperlinks in all my e-books. I don't exactly know if they are embedded, but I know they work once the e-books are downloaded. I just typed the complete URL (including the http, colon, and two slashmarks) in my main document and when I hit space or return, they became underlined and turned blue.

V-Man

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesvachowski.com
I've done hyperlinks in all of my non-fiction ebooks and guides. It's a good way to direct your reader to a reference on the Web, and it's a lot quicker and cheaper than getting permissions to reprint that source within your product. I usually add a sentence to the marketing blurb that says something like "Over 100 embedded hyperlinks to additional resource materials on the Web" as a way to show added value.

If you're working from an MS-Word platform, you can use the "Insert" feature and the "Hyperlink" option to make the actual text an active link, so it doesn't show up as http://whatever.com within your document.

Good luck!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I just found out today, while perusing the PubIt! guidelines at B&N, that hyperlinks are not active on Nook. I snagged my iPad and pulled up my Nook app and sure enough, the links were there, but they didn't work. The good thing is that the URL is still listed, and it's short, so folks could easily see what the link said and then be able to type it into their browser later (if they so desired). Since it is basically my name with dot com at the end, it isn't a hard one to remember. A longer URL wouldn't be quite as easy.

Sherrie Cronin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
Thanks! Just uploaded my first book tonight (WAHOO) to Kindle. I decided I was in no hurry to upload to Nook once I discovered the info you guys provided on hyperlinks not working on their platform. (I confirmed it in the fine print of their formatting instructions) But I've listed all 75 or so of my hyperlinks in a reference section at the end.

Am now planning to upload to Smashwords this week, even though their formatting demands seem overwhelming. Do either of you (or anyone else) have a feel for whether hyperlinks survive Smashwords uploading process and remain live on any of the platforms?

Appreciate the help! (Hope some day to be experienced enough to return the favor.....)

Last edited:

Sherrie Cronin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
V-man -- have you ever had someone object to having their website included as a link in your book? I've been assured that if one has a site on the web, they understand that anyone can link to them. But are the rules different for a book? (I should add that I am referring to a book with no offensive material....)

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Sherrie, I checked out the "look inside" on Amazon for your book and thought it was very cool to be able to check out the Beach Boys' banning and the name reference. I can see where folks might find the interactive feature really interesting. Even for something as simple as saying a name of a character or giving background information.

Sherrie Cronin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
Oh thank you! There are still a few kinks to be worked out -- I just figured out how to get my images attached so they will show up and I now need to QC all my links from my Kindle as apparently not everything on the web will open.
You -- and this website -- have been so helpful What a wonderful thing to have a place for folks to help each other. Good luck to you in your quest to make your living totally off of your writing. I'll be cheering you on!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
You -- and this website -- have been so helpful What a wonderful thing to have a place for folks to help each other. Good luck to you in your quest to make your living totally off of your writing. I'll be cheering you on!
Thanks! Always glad to help, Sherrie. I love AW, too! I'm not sure what I would have done if the folks from AW hadn't been here when I was going through my PublishAmerica troubles. It took me a while to make good forward motion after that, although I was still writing during that time period.