• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a possible co-writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyLewis

Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a novel that I've been scoping out for almost two years. In my mind, I think it's a really great idea with a lot of potential. As I've been planning, and attempting drafts at it, I began thinking that it may require a more skilled writer than myself to work on it, but I'm not looking for a person to just write it on their own and be a ghost-writer. I would love to be able to find a person who is able to bring their own ideas to the table, who has a basic idea of what works and what doesn't, who is willing to take a stab at a long-term (or short-term, depending on how fast this could be done) project with a person they've never met.

The basics on the novel (if you express an interest in working on this with me, I'll give you a more in-depth look into the ideas, and if you choose to work on it with me, I have tons of scraps on information, short excerpts, and an outline to work off of in the beginning):

I am unsure on the genre, this has splashes of paranormal, thriller, and horror in it, but I am hoping that this will have a strong literary sense as well. This story begins somewhere in the 1800's, and ends around the year 1990. Our story begins with Levi, a young man in his mid-twenties, who finds his wife, Catherine, slain one night just outside their home. Levi will do anything he can to get her back, so he makes a deal with the devil, he'll sell his soul, for the chance to have Catherine back. The devil stays true to his word, he brings Catherine back, but he won't let Levi have her just yet. He takes Levi on as his servant. Levi becomes the first grim reaper, without the scythe and the robe. Rather than more tame ideas of the person dying on their own, and the reaper removing their souls, Levi actually kills the people that he reaps. He travels the world making kills, until the day he finds Catherine, but their reuniting isn't exactly as he had planned.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Riley,

You're new, and I see you have no replies. I just wanted to step in and mention that is probably due to a few things....first of all, ideas are cheap, and that seems to be most of what you are bringing to the table. Secondly, you should find Maryn's "Why I won't beta" thread and read through it.....that pretty much covers the rest.

Right now it just sounds like you're offering an idea, which as I said isn't worth what you may believe it is.....when say King and Straub wrote The Talisman they already knew of each other and their writing, you are a totally unknown commodity, other than the somewhat dubious "I don't know that I can pull it off personally". Don't get me wrong, you could be the nicest guy in the world, but beta arrangements, and especially collaborations, can be difficult and messy as it is; it is a bit like marriage--you really want some sense of the other person, because things get messy. That's probably a big part of why nobody has touched this thread.

I would recommend studying and working on the craft, and then trying to get someone to beta what you have written (and you betaing theirs, of course), if you still don't get any takers

Good luck,
Quick

RileyLewis

Registered
Reaction score
Quick, thank you so much for responding. After reading Maryn's "Why I Won't Beta Read Your Novel," I completely understand why AWers are leery to work with someone they've never met and haven't seen much from. I knew I was taking a long shot with making this thread, I posted it on a whim after seeing others post asking for co-writers, but I do know that co-writing and beta-ing can be messy procedures. I believe my best bet would be to take your advice to study and work on improving my own writing skills, thank you again.

Riley

Status
Not open for further replies.