PDA

View Full Version : Just how amazingly Fab is the Share Your Work critique facility?

Paul
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
It's really just dawned on me now (yes, D'oh) how excellent the SYW critique facility thingy is.

Writing is a pretty insular activity and other voices are really so good to help gain clarity of one's work.

Also, the emotional growth involved - understanding criticism, what it is, what it isn't (eg a personal attack) etc - very good for the head.

And best of all, the chance to hone your work to its best polish before the decision makers get to read it (I'm including those who buy your work as well, the readers)

All in all. wow.

kayleamay
02-03-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry, Paul. I stopped reading after one sentence because I got bored. I think you need a better hook. :)

(she posts sardonically)

Yay for SYW!

quickWit
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
this sucks.

you suck.

I hope this helps!

carry on
:)

swachski
02-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry, Paul. I stopped reading after one sentence because I got bored. I think you need a better hook. :)

(she posts sardonically)

Yay for SYW!

:roll:

I respectfully disagree with kayleamay's post. Keep the first line as is. It's succinct and draws you into the story immediately.

Seriously though, I agree with you Paul. My writing has improved exponentially thanks to SYW crits. And my skin is approaching leather thickness. Well, maybe more like parchment, but I'm getting there.

Susan Littlefield
02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
It's really just dawned on me now (yes, D'oh) how excellent the SYW critique facility thingy is.

Writing is an pretty insular activity, and other voices are really so good to help gain clarity of one's work.

Also, the emotional growth involved - understanding criticism, what it is, what it isn't (eg a personal attack) etc - very good for the head. [hey dude, this sentence needs some work!]

And best of all, the chance to hone your work to its best polish before the decision makers get to read it (I'm including those who buy your work as well, the readers)[missing period]

[watch for those extra spaaacccceesss.....]
All in all. wow.

:evil

backslashbaby
02-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Ab fab all the way :D

Paul
02-03-2012, 08:28 PM

(she posts sardonically) This is gilding the lily, as you've already established your main point.

Yay for SYW!

this sucks.

you suck.

I hope this helps! Thanks slowWit, I really, really, really appreciate your feedback

carry on
:)

:roll:

I respectfully disagree with kayleamay's post. Keep the first line as is. It's succinct and draws you into the story immediately.
Thank you, you're so right
Seriously though, I agree with you Paul. My writing has improved exponentially thanks to SYW crits. And my skin is approaching leather thickness. Well, maybe more like parchment, but I'm getting there.

Ab fab all the way :D Some nice rhythmic word use. keep it up!

you guys....

Paul
02-04-2012, 04:06 AM
btw, i didnt post this thread just because i'm in the crit market (SYW Fantasy) (for a limited time only)

honest.

:D

KellyAssauer
02-04-2012, 04:51 AM

That's a very strange way to begin, but it might work. I'd drop the '(yes, D'oh)' as it's almost too vulgar and as everyone else has suggested; drop the 'thingy' - it's just not needed. It's also a bit of a tell, be careful to balance this with more show...

Writing is a pretty insular activity and other voices are really so good to help gain clarity of one's work.

'so good'? seriously? I would find a better word =) -and again, it's all show - and that might become a problem.

Also, the emotional growth involved - understanding criticism, what it is, what it isn't (eg a personal attack) etc - very good for the head.

If you break this down, you'll find it's not a sentence...

And best of all, the chance to hone your work to its best polish before the decision makers get to read it (I'm including those who buy your work as well, the readers)

All in all. wow.

Not a bad first post at all. I enjoyed the almost 'chorus' quality of all the comments in parenthesis, but there's an awful lot of them. Do try to stay away from the over-used slang sayings. There is a story here, and I can tell you really want to write it and would hope that you use this enthusiasm to fully reseach and explore showing us the points you're making throught the action of the character. But still, very nice. I enjoyed this...

Paul
02-04-2012, 04:54 AM
:D LOL

Brutal Mustang
02-04-2012, 06:51 AM

Yes. The thick skin is the absolutely most invaluable thing you get from this place. Thick skin means you have no fear of how, or how many, people view your work.

scarletpeaches
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
If only that were the case.

Many writers are nervous of posting there, but there are many critters (heh, critters) who are put off by the thin-skinned speshul snowflakes.

It works both ways. Nerves on one side, a feeling of futility for a thankless task on the other.

Sheila Muirenn
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
:ROFL::popcorn:

(e-cons for preceding posts. Not SP's serious answer. Seriously? IN OP? ).

:D