PDA

View Full Version : Learning How to Write on Your Own

starlinguncaged
02-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Hello all. So, yeah...I feel pretty lame about this, but I haven't really written much of anything on my own (school papers not included) since I was...okay yeah, I don't think I've ever really written anything on my own outside of school. Though, I've always had a love for writing/dreaming up stories, and so on. But I've usually gotten my 'fix' from either role-playing (which I've done now for about ten years), or through working on stories with friends--typically some kind of comic (manga/graphic novel/webcomic) idea.

Now I'm reaching a point where I think I really should be writing my own stories; lord knows I have a million of them running in my head. The issue I'm having is that I don't really know how to develop everything on my own. I've, unfortunately, become really dependent on having that other person or persons to bounce off of with. Soo, how does one go about learning how to break that sort of dependency?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum area; I haven't been on here in quite a while and I'm still pretty newish at that.

backslashbaby
02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
So you have the brainstorming down easy, but you don't know how to structure, maybe? Or is it a confidence/best-choice issue? It always feels uncertain, for all (or nearly all) writers, in case you think it feels strange :)

Just try what you think will work, and remember that you can change it later. Some folks outline and some don't. It really all comes down to trying this and that until you find your favorite way of writing.

Read a lot of books like what you're aiming for. Then write it the way you would do that :) That sounds silly, but it'll click if you do it, really.

starlinguncaged
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I guess it's a bit of both, though probably more of a confidence issue.

And that's an interesting exercise. I just might try that out. There are plenty of books I read where I cringed at one thing or another. Thanks for the suggestion :]

Sea Witch
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I agree with backslashbaby. For me it was a confidence thing. I used to co-write a lot of NF articles until my writing partner became...difficult. When I forced into a corner, I found I could do it just as well on my own--and get the byline for myself.

I would say just do it. just start. And you can always look for a collaborator later on. I imagine there are lots of people looking for writing partners.....

starlinguncaged
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
@Sea Witch: Well, glad to know I'm not alone, and glad that you were able to break out of it yourself.

As to looking for a collaborator; maybe. I have some friends who could probably help already, though I have at least of couple of stories I'm really wanting to force myself to do them on my own. But yeah, I'll try just 'doing it' and see how far I can get. Thanks for the advice.

Debio
02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm new here myself.

My problem is making myself make the time to actually sit down and write. I'm kind of in the "wannabe writer" crowd. The one that never really does anything. So give this advice as much value as you like.

I have been lurking here at AW for a couple years now, and one thing I've learned from all the cool folks is, just write it. It might end up crap, it might not, it might end up great. You'll never know until you do.

I think most would agree that no matter how many "How to write books" books you read, or how many forums you participate in, the best teacher for writing is writing. You'll learn what works for you and what doesn't. Many things you'll be able to learn just by looking at your own work.

There are also places on these forums where you can find folks who will look at your work and critique or offer advice. Maybe someday I'll do that myself.

(If I ever increase my post count.)

Luciamaria
02-05-2012, 02:43 AM
WRITE.

You don't even have to have any particular plan in mind, just write. About anything. After awhile, who knows, you might write about one character you like operating particularly much, and you can develop their personality, build their past, and get to know them very well so you have excellent fuel for stories. Just write.

You have all this amazing imagination in you. You don't need anyone else to lure it out of you.

Luciamaria
02-05-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm new here myself.

I'm kind of in the "wannabe writer" crowd.

Debio, if I considered myself a "wannabe writer", I would not have gotten this far and would be very discouraged because I would consider myself amateur (even though I am amateur), hopeless (even if I am hopeless) and inexperienced (and I definitely am that). It's a rather dampening description.

Nita
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I envied you have a lot of rich stories. I always stared at my computer without any inspiration.

bearilou
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I envied you have a lot of rich stories. I always stared at my computer without any inspiration.

Pull out a notebook and a pen and see if that helps. Sometimes I'm intimidated by that blank screen and the blinking cursor.

It's blinking...always blinking like it's mocking me...daring me to be creative. JUST TRY IT it taunts until I'm sweating blood in a contest of wills against it.

So I close the computer down, grab a notebook and my favorite pen and come up with all kinds of ideas. Then I flesh them out. All long hand. When I get back to the computer, I shove my notebook at the screen as if to crow triumphantly SEE? I CAN DO IT!

shayla.mist
02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Pull out a notebook and a pen and see if that helps. Sometimes I'm intimidated by that blank screen and the blinking cursor.

It's blinking...always blinking like it's mocking me...daring me to be creative. JUST TRY IT it taunts until I'm sweating blood in a contest of wills against it.

So I close the computer down, grab a notebook and my favorite pen and come up with all kinds of ideas. Then I flesh them out. All long hand. When I get back to the computer, I shove my notebook at the screen as if to crow triumphantly SEE? I CAN DO IT!

Omg, that's exactly what i do!

Kayunei, I''m also a newbie at writing and I lack self-confidence. A lot. But I still keep on writing. i don't give a damn, really, of what people might think of my writing. After all, I don't have to show it to anyone if I'm not comfortable with it. But it's still mine, it belongs to me no matter how crappy it is and that'll make you feel good about it. Don't worry too much. Just write and don't look back at it even if your brain nags you to revise or tells you you're not good enough. That's just you low self-esteem speaking.
And I truly advice you to do what bearilou says. You'd be amazed how words flow without the computer distracting you.

OnlyStones
02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Read, write, and don't be afraid to talk about your writing with those around you. With any luck you'll discover others around you who share the passion. If not, go looking for them. Find a serious writing group. When I say serious, I mean make sure you get an equal dose of criticism and support. Some of my best learning has come from just listening to their reviews of another members work and comparing notes.

I don't consider it a dependency to have others around to bounce things off of, as long as its a healthy give and take without game playing or one upsmanship.

I have no formal training yet have published poems and short stories and am now working on my first novel. It is totally 100% do-able.

cara
02-06-2012, 02:01 AM
You could find a writing group? They offer criticism and support, so you'll feel like you're writing with someone, but you'll be doing the work by yourself.
I find I like to write with someone else around, so a notebook might be good, as it's hard to lug a laptop around.

Debio
02-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Debio, if I considered myself a "wannabe writer", I would not have gotten this far and would be very discouraged because I would consider myself amateur (even though I am amateur), hopeless (even if I am hopeless) and inexperienced (and I definitely am that). It's a rather dampening description.

Oops, my apologies. The "wannabe writer" thing was intended to be more tongue in cheek that it came out. I tell stories. I like to think I tell them well enough to entertain people. I am just very bad at making the time to get my butt in the chair and actually type. That is more what I was intending to say.

Please don't think I was being down on myself, or god forbid, be down on anyone here at AW.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. It's funny, because I was just telling one of my students pretty much the exact same thing in relation to speaking a foreign language.

Phaeal
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Confidence is like self-esteem. You don't "get" it. Nobody can give it to you. It grows out of doing, acting, making. So....

500 words a day, at least five days a week.

Finish the project.

Polish until you can't polish anymore.

Only then seek input from someone else. You're learning to work on your own, right?

Nita
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM

That's really a good suggestion. I'll try it. Hope can cure my problem.