Can I Throw Up Now?

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
I just sim submitted a short story to 3 publications.

I decided to join W1S1 to get over my fear of failure, and, on the flip side, fear of success.

Can I go throw up now?

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
aw :Hug2: that's okay, you'll get through it.
I had my nervous breakdown yesterday cause of *gasp* someone reading my story. It's better after it happens the first time :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
And over.

:D It gets easier. Honest.

And :hooray: for taking that first step!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can throw up now :)

*passes bucket*

Don't worry, it gets easier. You've done the hardest thing of all and sent the first one! Congratulations!

Cliffhanger

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats. I does get easier.

Hopefully these three markets are okay with sim subs, most take a serious dislike to the practice.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, weird, isn't it?

When I sent my first sub, I felt like I was going to puke.

:)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you've got to sub another one now, just to see how easy it is in comparison to the first.

Kimber

Kimber Vale
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimbervale.com
Press send and then go check the sub call lists to take your mind off of it! Congrats!

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Thanks everyone! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one to have a physical reaction to this...like I'm not as weird as I thought, or at least am in good company!
Press send and then go check the sub call lists to take your mind off of it! Congrats!
Sub call lists?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I've only subbed a few, but got used to it fast, and I'll bet you do too. I definitely felt nervous the first time.

The other day though, I read some of my work out loud to a group of fellow writers for the first time. That was harder for me than subbing! After the first deep breath, I could only take shallow ones, and I only just got through to the end. It took a minute or two before I could breathe normally again. But I didn't throw up. (And luckily, neither did they.)

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
I've only subbed a few, but got used to it fast, and I'll bet you do too. I definitely felt nervous the first time.

The other day though, I read some of my work out loud to a group of fellow writers for the first time. That was harder for me than subbing! After the first deep breath, I could only take shallow ones, and I only just got through to the end. It took a minute or two before I could breathe normally again. But I didn't throw up. (And luckily, neither did they.)
:ROFL:
I agree. That first one is the hardest. After that, it becomes easier and easier.
Good to know, thanks! Hopefully, that will be my experience as well!

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
I just sim submitted a short story to 3 publications.

I decided to join W1S1 to get over my fear of failure, and, on the flip side, fear of success.

Can I go throw up now?

Brace yourself for when they come back. Those first ones are tough but DO NOT let them stop you. Do NOT. Make it a game for yourself to see what numbers you can rack up. ;)

Deleted member 42

Every time I send off an article or a book that I've already had accepted--I'm freaked.

Every. Single. Time.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Brace yourself for when they come back. Those first ones are tough but DO NOT let them stop you. Do NOT. Make it a game for yourself to see what numbers you can rack up. ;)
When I realized I'd got to the point that I was celebrating rejection letters -- because they were proof that I'd Done the Writer Thing and submitted stories, by golly! -- I know I'd come a long way.

But it's odd how, having come a long way, I can still be exactly where I was. I'm thinking about the afternoon that I waited by the locked outgoing mailbox for the post officer to come by so I could ask them to let me write something on the envelope that I'd forgotten to write on the envelope. The guidelines specified that I write this on the envelope. If I didn't, OMG, I'd be totally torpedoing my submission! Cue panic attack, hyperventilation, me glued to the window watching the apartment mailboxes, etc.

But it really *does* get easier. The easier just sometimes comes with flashbacks to when it was hard, is all.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

In fact, every big round number (50? 100? Whatever feels like a milestone to you) of rejections, throw yourself a BIG F***ING PARTY, because it's always worth celebrating that you're still going :)

(Of course, throw yourself a party for each acceptance. Because there'll be some of those too.)

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
By now, I have a handful of pro short story sales, and here is my dirty secret:

I hold my breath every time I hit send. Every single time.

<3

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
You inoculated yourself today! Congratulations, Writer!

Okay, round 2 of nausea: first rejection.

Round 3: first acceptance. Seriously. I freaked out, had to read it over and over again to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong, pounding heart, desire to barf...it was worse than sending out that first one if you can believe that. (but, if course...better!)